User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Moab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Front end wobble on 800gs

Breaking in my new 800 gs, love the zippiness and agility of the bike, just one issue for me...when I get to 70mph or above my front wheel starts moving side to side, not drastic but enough to make me wonder.

Have nobbies on, and i am coming from an 1150 gs and klr 650 that never had this wobble (and i think that the front tire is similar on the klr?)

anyway, I cant tell if this is the wind buffeting me and me causing it? or is this an issue I need to see the dealer about? or do i just need to get used to it cause its inherent on this bike.

'04 1150 GS
'09 KLR 650
'10 800gs
Moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab
or do i just need to get used to it cause its inherent on this bike.

I only get the wobble with some knobbies. Never happened with the Battlewings nor the Heidenaus, but now that I have the Mefo on the front (don't like that tire at all ), I get a mild wobble at higher speeds. You may want to see if there's any difference when you swap out your tires.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
I was just writing up some thoughts on the 800 after going 4700 miles over every imaginable road surface in 9 days of driving. The front end with knobbies and highway driving became an issue on the trip. It is unstable. Above 90 mph it is downright dangerous. Yes, at highway speeds with knobbies you will feel the frontend wobble. I felt it with the battlewings as well but it was not as pronounced as when I went to TKC-80's.

Up to 85 I just had to get used to the wobble. It never affected cornering or my ability to maintain control of the bike. You start going faster than that and you have some issues. Just be aware and watch your speed, particularly when you are passing at interstate speeds. More details will be in a post I'm working on.

Cathy

Quote:
Breaking in my new 800 gs, love the zippiness and agility of the bike, just one issue for me...when I get to 70mph or above my front wheel starts moving side to side, not drastic but enough to make me wonder.

Have nobbies on, and i am coming from an 1150 gs and klr 650 that never had this wobble (and i think that the front tire is similar on the klr?)

anyway, I cant tell if this is the wind buffeting me and me causing it? or is this an issue I need to see the dealer about? or do i just need to get used to it cause its inherent on this bike.

GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Moab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl
I was just writing up some thoughts on the 800 after going 4700 miles over every imaginable road surface in 9 days of driving. The front end with knobbies and highway driving became an issue on the trip. It is unstable. Above 90 mph it is downright dangerous. Yes, at highway speeds with knobbies you will feel the frontend wobble. I felt it with the battlewings as well but it was not as pronounced as when I went to TKC-80's.

Up to 85 I just had to get used to the wobble. It never affected cornering or my ability to maintain control of the bike. You start going faster than that and you have some issues. Just be aware and watch your speed, particularly when you are passing at interstate speeds. More details will be in a post I'm working on.

Cathy

I am using the tkc's.......send me a link to your post when complete, id like to read it.

'04 1150 GS
'09 KLR 650
'10 800gs
Moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I am having the same issue since switching the battlewing front tire to the TKC. Grizgirl, I read your other post and agree about the issues with the bike that you address. However, I know there is no perfect bike. Everything is a compromise I suppose.
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28
Everything is a compromise I suppose.
Exactly. I came from the big Boxer twin, and have ridden it up to Prudhoe and back. But given the choice, and after 24K miles on the F800, I'd take it for any "Adventure" ride over the Boxer any day. Having wrestled that pig over too many difficult surfaces, I'll gladly put up with the lack of range and high-speed cruising shortcomings of the F800. I can carry extra gas when necessary, and keep it under 90 mph easier than I can reduce the weight of the Boxer. But ain't it grand that we have other choices?

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,154
I would like to make two observations about F800GS instability.

First when I first got the bike I noticed that there was a lot of movement from the windblast from passing semi trailers. I needed a better windscreen for comfort and ended up with a Calsci. (If I was doing it now I would probably get a Wunderlich ergo vario screen because of its adjustability.) One of the first things I noticed was much more stabilty in wind and windblast.

The second thing is the tyres. The most instability I noticed was with a front Dunlop 606 knobby and a badly worn rear TKC80. It was bad enough to be a constant worry in the back of your mind. I then replaced the worn TKC with a Heidenau K60 ... much better, much more stable. Soon the front Dunlop wore out and I replaced it with another Heidenau K60. On the road the K60's are very good, good grip and very stable up to at least 180Km/hr. However I don't like the front K60 on loose surfaces like mud and sand, so I would probably not buy another one. I will probably try and run a front TKC and a rear K60.

Bottom line ... Knobbies are less stable at high speeds and get worse when they are worn. I think the rear K60 would be more stable than the TKC, and I think a good windscreen can probably increase stabilty as well as comfort. YMMV (as you yanks say!)

I would seriously consider a Rally-moto steering damper, if it wasn't for the price ... I imagine that it would be a big help in most conditions.

Ducksbane screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 08:48 PM
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:50 AM   #8
supertorro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Front End wobble only after knobbies

yep, had the same front end wobble when I changed from the stock tyres to 50/50 tyres. front was a heidenau k60 and rear was metzler sahara enduro.
really bad wobble at speed. I found the only way to cure it was to adjust the rebound on the rear, and that seemed to make it behave a little better.

since i've replaced the metzler with a heidenau the problem seems to have gone away some, so I can run the rebound more where I prefer

my 0.02
supertorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
I would like to make two observations about F800GS instability.

First when I first got the bike I noticed that there was a lot of movement from the windblast from passing semi trailers. I needed a better windscreen for comfort and ended up with a Calsci. (If I was doing it now I would probably get a Wunderlich ergo vario screen because of its adjustability.) One of the first things I noticed was much more stabilty in wind and windblast.

The second thing is the tyres. The most instability I noticed was with a front Dunlop 606 knobby and a badly worn rear TKC80. It was bad enough to be a constant worry in the back of your mind. I then replaced the worn TKC with a Heidenau K60 ... much better, much more stable. Soon the front Dunlop wore out and I replaced it with another Heidenau K60. On the road the K60's are very good, good grip and very stable up to at least 180Km/hr. However I don't like the front K60 on loose surfaces like mud and sand, so I would probably not buy another one. I will probably try and run a front TKC and a rear K60.

Bottom line ... Knobbies are less stable at high speeds and get worse when they are worn. I think the rear K60 would be more stable than the TKC, and I think a good windscreen can probably increase stabilty as well as comfort. YMMV (as you yanks say!)

I would seriously consider a Rally-moto steering damper, if it wasn't for the price ... I imagine that it would be a big help in most conditions.
+100 Great post.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Hows your air pressures. Lots to be said about increase and decrease pressures on and off road with those tires. Look in other threads on the TKC's.

Ride safe
Old 07-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
SCVGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Relax your grip on the bars and dont pull with your arms to compensate for the wind hitting your chest. Knobbies dont make good street tires and vise versa.
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:

Have you tried adjusting the height of the forks in the triple trees? Raising the forks in the trees often alleviates a high speed weave in other bikes.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I am running the H60s and sure enough, I noticed the front end wobble around 60mph when riding on a highway surface with rain grooves. it gets pretty pronouced if the surface is cut concrete, but have experienced it on asphalt as well. On smooth asphalt there does not seem to be an issue, but I have not gone much higher than 80mph. I have a grooved patch of concrete interstate right near my house that is a wake up call on every ride out of town.

I am guessing it is a combination of telescopic front forks, a big front diameter wheel and the knobbies. I would venture the big R bikes with their different suspension have a very different critical mass. A while back I had a CBX with a larger front diameter wheel and it would wobble and shake on the same cut concrete grooves - giving a real thrill.
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Street tires here, no wobbling going on at high speeds.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #15
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,154
Geno_Rocket ... I think you should check your rear ride height ... Much as I dislike the front K60 on loose surfaces I have Never had any instabilty on a firm surface.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote