Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Airhead oil filters

Need an oil filter for my 78 R100S with oil cooler
Capital Cycle has 2 choices for that bike.
1- Hinged at around 12$
2- 2 seperate with gasket 25$
Ive e mailed them (cant call -at work) and not heard back.
Whats the difference?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Jacubird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Go Unhinged

The hinged filters were produced to allow (relatively) easy filter changes for RS and RT bikes with those full fairings. The hinge allows for filter changes without having to remove the fairing panel on that side. Since yours is an S bike, without the lower fairing, the straight filter is your best bet.
Jacubird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Tried using a hinged filter and the stoopid thing wouldn't go into where it needs to go at the bottom...what a stoopid design for an oil filter...on all levels...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
I've never had any real trouble with the hinged or unhinged filters on my bike. Other than the dealer often only having the one style.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacubird
The hinged filters were produced to allow (relatively) easy filter changes for RS and RT bikes with those full fairings. The hinge allows for filter changes without having to remove the fairing panel on that side. Since yours is an S bike, without the lower fairing, the straight filter is your best bet.
UMMM, let's clarify something here.
He has an oil cooler.
No one makes a straight filter for that application. (unless there's some new offshore hotshot brand that's fresh on the market)!
15 years ago I became a BMW parts department employee because of the ineptitude of Capital Cycle.
I'm glad they suck, it changed my life.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
UMMM, let's clarify something here.
He has an oil cooler.
No one makes a straight filter for that application. (unless there's some new offshore hotshot brand that's fresh on the market)!
15 years ago I became a BMW parts department employee because of the ineptitude of Capital Cycle.
I'm glad they suck, it changed my life.
Great.. Anyhow, I just looked at their site and noticed 2 filters that would fit my bike. The hinged one and one that isnt (2 parts for that particular filter- no hinge). It looks like the exhaust header may be in the way and I figured that was the hinge reason. Anyhow, if all fails in the mail order department (Ie Hucky or CC) then Ill go to my local Airhead dude who has em but 27$ a pop.
I shoulda changed the oil myself 1st time out but the bike was in for safety and I said fuk it.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr
Great.. Anyhow, I just looked at their site and noticed 2 filters that would fit my bike. The hinged one and one that isnt (2 parts for that particular filter- no hinge). It looks like the exhaust header may be in the way and I figured that was the hinge reason. Anyhow, if all fails in the mail order department (Ie Hucky or CC) then Ill go to my local Airhead dude who has em but 27$ a pop.
I shoulda changed the oil myself 1st time out but the bike was in for safety and I said fuk it.
I didn't understand what you were referring to about a "2 piece" so I went and looked, Both of the filters they offer are hinged.
The 25.00 one is factory BMW and looks like it is two piece but it is hinged, trust me.
The other one looks like an Emgo Asian made.
Good luck with that.
I would try Huckies and just belly up to bar and pay the money for a good quality filter.
It's your motor, why take chances?

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
I didn't understand what you were referring to about a "2 piece" so I went and looked at their site, Both of the filters they offer are hinged.
The 25.00 one is factory BMW and looks like it is two piece but it is hinged, trust me.
The other one looks like an Emgo Asian made.
Good luck with that.
I would try Huckies and just belly up to bar and pay the money for a good quality filter.
It's your motor, why take chances?
better yet, email me tomorrow at parts@sjbmw.com and we can straighten you out, and save afew bucks a swell.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr
Yes. they both fit. The strait is a PITA. The hinged is also a PITA---it really doesn't work like it should. Yes,the header is in the way. I use strait filters (more filter area vs hinged, fewer failure points) and I swivel the header out of the way. I also clean and lube my header nuts and make sure the muffler connections aren't frozen. Do it a couple of times and it doesn't take long. All part of tuneup day. Take your time and save a bit of money.

Oil filters are one of the classic BMW bend-overs,. Several options exist, See the IBMWR site. People that make sweet $$$ selling OEM like to trash the options. They are hardly disinterested.

I do buy an OEM kit very so often to take advantage of the new washers and gaskets. You need the full on oil change kit to get them. One of these days I'll get off my ass and source the parts and buy a nice sack of everything for a fraction of the price.

I gave my oil cooler thermostat the heave-ho. Otherwise get a drainer bolt to fully drain and prime it. I got one from Bob's years ago. Never used it.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

I dont mind dropping the coin on the good stuff (dont get me started on oil! ) I want this bike to stick around for a looooong while. I just wanted knowledge on the price variances. Makes sense.
As stated my guy is 27$ so i'd avoid the shipping costs etc..
Rob, Ill drop you a line tomorrow afternoon.
Cheers all..
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
Yes. they both fit. The strait is a PITA. The hinged is also a PITA---it really doesn't work like it should. Yes,the header is in the way. I use strait filters (more filter area vs hinged, fewer failure points) and I swivel the header out of the way. I also clean and lube my header nuts and make sure the muffler connections aren't frozen. Do it a couple of times and it doesn't take long. All part of tuneup day. Take your time and save a bit of money.

Oil filters are one of the classic BMW bend-overs,. Several options exist, See the IBMWR site. People that make sweet $$$ selling OEM like to trash the options. They are hardly disinterested.

I do buy an OEM kit very so often to take advantage of the new washers and gaskets. You need the full on oil change kit to get them. One of these days I'll get off my ass and source the parts and buy a nice sack of everything for a fraction of the price.

I gave my oil cooler thermostat the heave-ho. Otherwise get a drainer bolt to fully drain and prime it. I got one from Bob's years ago. Never used it.
Like I said earlier, he has an oil cooler. The straight filter is too short.
Let me set you straight here PLAKA, The only people making the "sweet $$$" on the oem filters is BMW North America. The dealers margin for most of these these parts is sad. Very Sad.
I wasn't "trashing" the options, hell, I use non OEM filters on all of my bikes that I can. IF they are decent quality.
I have seen the Frams and I have seen the Emgo filters up close and personal, and after 15 years of selling BMW parts, and 16 years previous to that installing them, I deem those two brands not worth the risk. For different reasons.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Like I said earlier, he has an oil cooler. The straight filter is too short.
Let me set you straight here PLAKA, The only people making the "sweet $$$" on the oem filters is BMW North America. The dealers margin for most of these these parts is sad. Very Sad.
But it's still your meal ticket, isn't it? Like I was saying about disinterested parties....

Quote:
I wasn't "trashing" the options, hell, I use non OEM filters on all of my bikes that I can. IF they are decent quality.
I have seen the Frams and I have seen the Emgo filters up close and personal, and after 15 years of selling BMW parts, and 16 years previous to that installing them, I deem those two brands not worth the risk. For different reasons.
But you just said they aren't decent quality....which is it?

I'll spare you the saga of my one and only experience with the SJBMW parts yokels (up front and in person). Suffice it to say I didn't darken their door again. I was thinking it was a good thing to support the local dealer. I was an idiot. You support the people that can get the job done. In the many weeks of waiting for my part (past when it was promised) I had time to call around and learn the score.

Lot and lots of people on the net claim all sorts of credentials and use that to back all sorts of opinions. But you know what they say: " Blessed are the gullible...."
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Remind me tomorrow and I'll get you guys a link to a source for quality Purolator filters.

iirc, they're $5/pc if you buy them in batches of 5 or 10.

They have the o-rings and shim rings available, too, for cheap.

I wasn't going to say anything, but if BMWNA is reaming dealers so bad that it isn't worth their while to sell filters, I figured "what the heck".

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
But it's still your meal ticket, isn't it? Like I was saying about disinterested parties....

But you just said they aren't decent quality....which is it?

I'll spare you the saga of my one and only experience with the SJBMW parts yokels (up front and in person). Suffice it to say I didn't darken their door again. I was thinking it was a good thing to support the local dealer. I was an idiot. You support the people that can get the job done. In the many weeks of waiting for my part (past when it was promised) I had time to call around and learn the score.

Lot and lots of people on the net claim all sorts of credentials and use that to back all sorts of opinions. But you know what they say: " Blessed are the gullible...."
Well since this has turned into some sort of pissing contest, you still haven't addressed your fuck-up about recommending the straight filter for the O.P., if you're going to give out advice, it's best to know what the fuck you are talking about.
But I'll let that one fester on the coals for a bit.

There are other aftermarket filters besides Fram and Emgo.
Those are the only two that I wouldn't use.
I use K&N, Purolator, Knecht, and Mann and another Asian Brand that name slips my mind right now, but is TUV approved and I have sold with confidence in the past.
As far as your experience with the folks at SJBMW, since I don't know who you are or when you were there or how you presented yourself when you were there, I can't give any answer as to why you left dissatisfied.
Any further info would be appreciated.

www.wirewerkes.com

wirewrkr screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 11:26 PM
Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #15
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Remind me tomorrow and I'll get you guys a link to a source for quality Purolator filters.

iirc, they're $5/pc if you buy them in batches of 5 or 10.

They have the o-rings and shim rings available, too, for cheap.

I wasn't going to say anything, but if BMWNA is reaming dealers so bad that it isn't worth their while to sell filters, I figured "what the heck".

We're all ears Lornce, they are one of the original OEM suppliers and decent quality to boot.

www.wirewerkes.com