Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #16
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Well since this has turned into some sort of pissing contest, you still haven't addressed your fuck-up about recommending the straight filter for the O.P., if you're going to give out advice, it's best to know what the fuck you are talking about.
But I'll let that one fester on the coals for a bit.

There are other aftermarket filters besides Fram and Emgo.
Those are the only two that I wouldn't use.
I use K&N, Purolator, Knecht, and Mann and another Asian Brand that name slips my mind right now, but is TUV approved and I have sold with confidence in the past.
As far as your experience with the folks at SJBMW, since I don't know who you are or when you were there or how you presented yourself when you were there, I can't give any answer as to why you left dissatisfied.
Any further info would be appreciated.

Oh foo, you edited out the good part! I suppose it'd be dirty pool to quote it tho....

Fine specimen you are, me laddy.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Remind me tomorrow and I'll get you guys a link to a source for quality Purolator filters.

iirc, they're $5/pc if you buy them in batches of 5 or 10.

They have the o-rings and shim rings available, too, for cheap.

Will wait for your linky
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
Will wait for your linky
Sometimes my memory serves, other times I need to go to the bar. It's been a couple of years but the $5 filters are actually made by Fram, not Purolator. Mann is the other filter brand they sell for airheads.

5 packs of Fram filters: $25.00
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/fram5pkofh.html

5 packs of Mann filters (not Purolator): $67.50
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/mannmh585pk.html

Quite a price difference.

I'd be curious to know what's up with Fram filters? Apparently they meet BMW's specs. One of the world's largest manufacturers of oil filters...

fwiw, I've been using Fram filters for years in a variety of different bikes and haven't noticed anything odd about them.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,275
Holy shit,
I go away from here for a bit and it gets all Jo mommaty on me!
Blame anything to do with oil

So I got a response from CC about their filters. Here's is a copy of their reply (just for the record)

The filter we normally sell for your bike is $10.24 (this month’s sale) and is made by an OEM quality manufacturer in Europe.
The filter costing $25.25 is supplied by BMW
Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #20
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Sometimes my memory serves, other times I need to go to the bar. It's been a couple of years but the $5 filters are actually made by Fram, not Purolator. Mann is the other filter brand they sell for airheads.

5 packs of Mann filters (not Purolator): $67.50
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/mannmh585pk.html

Quite a price difference.

I'd be curious to know what's up with Fram filters? Apparently they meet BMW's specs. One of the world's largest manufacturers of oil filters...

fwiw, I've been using Fram filters for years in a variety of different bikes and haven't noticed anything odd about them.

At one time or another I've gotten both Knecht, and Mann filters in a BMW "OEM" branded box. Don't recall a Purolator but I wouldn't doubt it if anyone said so.

I got some crapo filters in an eBay rip off once (guy did a little creative repackagin). They seemed OK but the glue retaining the rubber seals was sloppy and failing. I used some up for flushing projects and sold the rest---as what they were.

When I buy retail filters for my truck I notice the manufacturers hype their stuff endlessly. I know I'm paying for that hype work. try to get data and you hit a wall. I select by price and change them often.

Working as a design engineer and specifying oil (hydraulic) and air (clean room) filters, I have all the data I want. Pressure, flow, pore size, filter area, etc. all right in the manufacturer literature. No hype, they know you are running calculations (including cost) and working from that.

On your bike you know there is some spec but not what it is. You know the filters meet some spec but not what that is. But the manufacturer says these filters meet their spec---and also sell them of course. So you won't go wrong with those, but you won't optimize either---including on cost.

But somebody check my math on this one (seriously, I'm working on my fingers):

If you get 40mpg and pay $2.65 for gas your cost/mile for fuel is 6 cents.

If you pay $175 per year for insurance and ride 10K per year your cost for insurance is a little under 2 cents per mile.

If you buy a bike for $9500, ride it 60k and sell it for $3200 your capital cost per mile for the basic machine is 10 cents a mile

If you go through 3 tires every 10K @ $120/tire it's 3 and a half cents per mile

If you pay $15 for a filter and change it every 3000miles your cost per mile for the filter is 1/2 a cent.

If you use 3 quarts of oil for an oil change every 3k @ $4.50/quart you are just under a half a cent /mile for the oil.

Plaka screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 09:30 AM
Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #21
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:

I wasn't going to say anything, but if BMWNA is reaming dealers so bad that it isn't worth their while to sell filters, I figured "what the heck".

If you think BNWNA is bad, you should have been around when Butler&Smith was in charge. I paid $28 for a rear main seal for the 50/5 in '74. With inflation, that's over $100 in today's money. Since it oiled the clutch plate, and THAT was about $100, I took it to a rebuilder and he riveted a new lining for about $20.

I just ordered 3 of the one piece filters from Beemershop, $5.75 each. Interested to see who made them. Ted Porter has a service repair business and sells what they've found to work, so I hope these a as good as oem. I've been using the Knetch(sp?) from the stash I got at Capital about 30 years ago.

I've had good luck with Capital, send the correct parts, decent prices compared the the local thief.

Just the rubber throttle and choke cable boots for the Dells were kind of flakey. Can get about 3 years out of them. I'm trying Motobins, have a set of boots on order and going to try those.

El Hombre screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 09:38 AM
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #22
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr
Holy shit,
I go away from here for a bit and it gets all Jo mommaty on me!
Blame anything to do with oil

So I got a response from CC about their filters. Here's is a copy of their reply (just for the record)

The filter we normally sell for your bike is $10.24 (this month’s sale) and is made by an OEM quality manufacturer in Europe.
The filter costing $25.25 is supplied by BMW
Purely out of curiosity, why are they being cagey about who makes those filters? What are they hiding, from whom and why?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #23
BUGStasteLIKEchicken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
Purely out of curiosity, why are they being cagey about who makes those filters? What are they hiding, from whom and why?
This PLAKA fellow seems to ony care about arguing with other inmates. See this thread as well. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=564062&page=5

I say if you want to kick the dog, find a real one. Want to fell good about yourself, keep voting for Obama, want to argue-go home and bitch to the wife. But I for one am tired of seeing your arguing bull shit here and would love to ban your negative sorry butt. Have you ever really contributed in a positive way here. Robert is quality people, your attitude sucks...
BUGStasteLIKEchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre
If you think BNWNA is bad, you should have been around when Butler&Smith was in charge. I paid $28 for a rear main seal for the 50/5 in '74. With inflation, that's over $100 in today's money. Since it oiled the clutch plate, and THAT was about $100, I took it to a rebuilder and he riveted a new lining for about $20.

I just ordered 3 of the one piece filters from Beemershop, $5.75 each. Interested to see who made them. I've been using the Knetch(sp?) from the stash I got at Capital about 30 years ago.

I've had good luck with Capital, send the correct parts, decent prices compared the the local thief.

Just the rubber throttle and choke cable boots for the Dells were kind of flakey. Can get about 3 years out of them. I'm trying Motobins, have a set of boots on order and going to try those.
Beware old filters you have had on the shelf. Just make sure the rubber seals are nice and lively before using.

3 years isn't bad for rubber boots that see any sun. Keeping sunscreen on them (303 or similar) will prolong their life significantly--apply once a week.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #25
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
No idea. Ive been happy with their stuff so far. Always helpful and good to deal with. Shipping has been fast so no complaints. I was just wondering about the price difference... As mentioned, I will pay more if I know that the product is superior. However if the product is a cheaper cost but the same performance- then Bobs yer uncle.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #26
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
At one time or another I've gotten both Knecht, and Mann filters in a BMW "OEM" branded box. Don't recall a Purolator but I wouldn't doubt it if anyone said so.

I got some crapo filters in an eBay rip off once (guy did a little creative repackagin). They seemed OK but the glue retaining the rubber seals was sloppy and failing. I used some up for flushing projects and sold the rest---as what they were.

When I buy retail filters for my truck I notice the manufacturers hype their stuff endlessly. I know I'm paying for that hype work. try to get data and you hit a wall. I select by price and change them often.

Working as a design engineer and specifying oil (hydraulic) and air (clean room) filters, I have all the data I want. Pressure, flow, pore size, filter area, etc. all right in the manufacturer literature. No hype, they know you are running calculations (including cost) and working from that.

On your bike you know there is some spec but not what it is. You know the filters meet some spec but not what that is. But the manufacturer says these filters meet their spec---and also sell them of course. So you won't go wrong with those, but you won't optimize either---including on cost.

But somebody check my math on this one (seriously, I'm working on my fingers):

If you get 40mpg and pay $2.65 for gas your cost/mile for fuel is 6 cents.

If you pay $175 per year for insurance and ride 10K per year your cost for insurance is a little under 2 cents per mile.

If you buy a bike for $9500, ride it 60k and sell it for $3200 your capital cost per mile for the basic machine is 10 cents a mile

If you go through 3 tires every 10K @ $120/tire it's 3 and a half cents per mile

If you pay $15 for a filter and change it every 3000miles your cost per mile for the filter is 1/2 a cent.

If you use 3 quarts of oil for an oil change every 3k @ $4.50/quart you are just under a half a cent /mile for the oil.
I like the way you think, Plaka.

I'd never thought about the actual cost of oil filters in those terms before.

I hope you stick around. You're part of what makes this place good and helpful.

edit: and I hope you and wirewrkr can resolve your differences. you're both valuable and appreciated parts of this old school campfire, imho.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #27
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGStasteLIKEchicken
This PLAKA fellow seems to ony care about arguing with other inmates. See this thread as well. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=564062&page=5

I say if you want to kick the dog, find a real one. Want to fell good about yourself, keep voting for Obama, want to argue-go home and bitch to the wife. But I for one am tired of seeing your arguing bull shit here and would love to ban your negative sorry butt. Have you ever really contributed in a positive way here. Robert is quality people, your attitude sucks...

Wow.

Just did a quick and cursory scan of your contributions to ADV and almost all I see is negative criticism of other inmates.

What gives?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #28
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
I'm with Plaka on this one.

I'd just sell my bike before I'd wring my hands over a bunch of shite like this.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #29
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGStasteLIKEchicken
This PLAKA fellow seems to ony care about arguing with other inmates. ...[blah, blah, yadda, yadda]...
There is an "ignore" feature on the forum that should drop any well known asshat (like me) out of your sight permanently. I only use a single login myself so it should work well for you. I think it's on your profile page.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #30
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:

Thanks! I've placed an order for the Fram filters. If Beemerboneyard sells them, then they must be up to spec. Anyway, my oil pressure gauge will let me know the story on my next filter change
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote