User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #16
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Route is planned (sort of)

First, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I plan to follow them as much as possible.

CaveDave, how kind of you to offer us a spot to stay. I had already booked our hotels when I saw your post. But thank you still.

NewHampWoodsRider, each of your recommendations is a good one. The reminder about the oil, tire pressure and braking will be heeded.

DC950, good reminder about hydration. There's a Pelican case on the top rack and we'll have a bike bag on top of that. My son got Mrs. Liberia a back pad to use so I think she'll be in good shape if I can force myself to stop more often than usual. Our daughter is there with an SUV so we can ditch the overpacking with her.

Fatboy, Mrs. Liberia kind of likes the picnic lunch thing but we're talking about one of the small, soft sided coolers that will fit in a pannier.

Route -
Saturday - fly to Boston, bike owner picks us up, pack and drive an hour (69 miles) to hotel.
Sunday/Monday - Drive 2 hours (108 miles) to Lenox, MA where we will stay and visit our daughter for 2 days.
Tuesday - Drive for 7 hours (424 miles) to Winchester, VA where we'll spend the night at a Hampton Inn.
Wednesday - Drive for 7 hours (243 miles) which is includes all of Skyline Drive as well as the upper portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Stay in Roanoke at the Hampton Inn.
Thursday - Drive for 5.5 hours (180 miles) on the BRP to Boone, NC where we'll spend the night at (you guessed it) a Hampton Inn.
Friday - Drive 6 hours (340 miles) back to Murfreesboro, TN. Mostly Interstate.

If we can get started early enough on Tuesday and Friday mornings we could get off the Interstates and take some of the state highways. But Mrs. Liberia isn't really a morning person. So I think we'll have to spend stay pretty close to the schedule above. I think we'll do fine as our longest days shouldn't be more than 10 - 11 from start to stop. That gives us plenty of time to relax and recover in the nicer hotels that we've chosen just for that purpose.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia
First, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I plan to follow them as much as possible.

CaveDave, how kind of you to offer us a spot to stay. I had already booked our hotels when I saw your post. But thank you still.

NewHampWoodsRider, each of your recommendations is a good one. The reminder about the oil, tire pressure and braking will be heeded.

DC950, good reminder about hydration. There's a Pelican case on the top rack and we'll have a bike bag on top of that. My son got Mrs. Liberia a back pad to use so I think she'll be in good shape if I can force myself to stop more often than usual. Our daughter is there with an SUV so we can ditch the overpacking with her.

Fatboy, Mrs. Liberia kind of likes the picnic lunch thing but we're talking about one of the small, soft sided coolers that will fit in a pannier.

Route -
Saturday - fly to Boston, bike owner picks us up, pack and ride an hour (69 miles) to hotel.
Sunday/Monday - Ride 2 hours (108 miles) to Lenox, MA where we will stay and visit our daughter for 2 days.
Tuesday - Ride for 7 hours (424 miles) to Winchester, VA where we'll spend the night at a Hampton Inn.
Wednesday - Ride to hertz rent a car & pick up mid sized sedan for my wife. I continue for 7 hours (243 miles) which includes all of Skyline Drive as well as the upper portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Stay in Roanoke at the Hampton Inn.
Thursday - Ride for 5.5 hours (180 miles) on the BRP to Boone, NC where I'll spend the night at (you guessed it) a Hampton Inn.
Friday - Ride 6 hours (340 miles) back to Murfreesboro, TN. Mostly Interstate. Stop and pick up flowers.
Saturday - KLR needs washed, but I can't stand to look at that damned thing.
Sunday - Walked by the Kawi and broke out in a cold sweat. Ass hurts just looking at it. I keep telling myself, "but I only had to fill up twice a day"...."how cool is that?"

One month later - Love the bike now that my rear end has recovered and the numbness in my hands has subsided. Wife still not talking to me.

If we can get started early enough on Tuesday and Friday mornings we could get off the Interstates and take some of the state highways. But Mrs. Liberia isn't really a morning person. So I think we'll have to spend stay pretty close to the schedule above. I think we'll do fine as our longest days shouldn't be more than 10 - 11 from start to stop. That gives us plenty of time to relax and recover in the nicer hotels that we've chosen just for that purpose.

I fixed it for you.

Sounds like a great adventure.

Congrats, I've had two KLRs, they are awesome tools, best motorcycle Kawasaki has EVER made.

I hope your wife loves you a whole whole bunch.

SCQTT screwed with this post 07-21-2010 at 12:52 PM
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I fixed it for you.

I hope your wife loves you a whole whole bunch.
SCQTT,

Took me a minute to realize you added your insights to my travel scedule in the quoted area. Unfortunately I think you may be right in each area. However, it's really better if I go into this as blind as possible so that I don't have to live through the experience twice (one worrying about it and once actually doing it).

Mrs. Liberia is crazy (about me). We've been married for 32 years and she's more of a risk taker now than when we were younger. Mainly though she just wants to see our daughter who graduated from college one day and left for the internship in Massachusetts the next. They are both having withdrawals. I have, however, put all the commercial airports along the path into our gps... just in case.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Mrs. Liberia sounds awesome. I think you are a lucky man. I salute the both of you (a good salute, not the ADV one)

Have fun!

Look me up if you ever head a little West.

Scott
Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
troutwhisperer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Sounds like a great ride.

If you need anything or assistance PM me. I am only about 10 miles east from the BRP on Rte 60 in Amherst, Virginia.

Let me know how you like the KLR for two up riding. I am trying to decide on a KLR650, DR650 or a F650GS thumper.

Best of luck, Mike
troutwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #21
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutphisher
Sounds like a great ride.

If you need anything or assistance PM me. I am only about 10 miles east from the BRP on Rte 60 in Amherst, Virginia.

Let me know how you like the KLR for two up riding. I am trying to decide on a KLR650, DR650 or a F650GS thumper.

Best of luck, Mike
Mike, thank you for the kind offer of help. I will definitely contact you if I run into trouble.

I'll try to give honest evaluations of the bike as we make the trip. Remember that this is an all pavement ride. I'm guessing since your 3 bike options are KLR, DR or GS that you plan to do some offroad riding as well. I have a V-Strom DL1000 as well and for highway and dirt roads in decent condition I promise you it's far better for 2 up travel. But it is pretty worthless once you get off compacted surfaces.

Mrs. Liberia is a great photographer so we should get some nice pictures along the way that we can share.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #22
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Today's the day

Up at 6:30 this morning for a leisurely completion of packing and preparation. LiberiaSon is headed our way to deliver us to the airport. Our flight leaves at 12:50 CST and we arrive in Boston, via Baltimore, at 6:05 EST. Bill, the prior owner, is picking us up at the airport and will take us to his house which is about an hour south of the airport.

I'm anxious to see the bike. I really love the Happy Trails panniers for some reason although I don't have enough experience with any of them to know what's best. Riders on this site debate metal vs. plastic vs. soft panniers. Since we don't do any significant off road riding I guess it doesn't matter so much.

Breakfast was toast and eggs, prepared by yours truly, with Mrs. Liberia making the coffee and washing the dishes. Not a bad setup. Eating on the road is always a little of a challenge for us as we try to follow a healthy eating plan. We use a plan by Dr. Asa Andrew which works good for us. Little to no processed foods, stay away from sugar (use honey, etc instead), and eat organic as much as possible.

Mrs. Liberia has read the thread and thinks that she is going to do fine on the ride. She keeps asking me if there's something that "she doesn't know." I assured her that the only thing she has to worry about is how sore her behind will be by the end of each day. My brother sent up a Butty Buddy for the trip so we'll try that out and see how it works out. My sister-in-law used it on the back of an Indian Scout all the way back from SE Utah to Tennessee and it helped a lot. Plus there will be a Pelican case and a bag on top of that directly behind Mrs. Liberia to give her something to lean against.

It will be late tonight before we're into our hotel room in Westborough, MA so I might not have time to do an update. If not, I will try it on Sunday morning.

Oh, by the way, Mrs. Liberia asked me how long we had been married. I knew that something was not good about the way she asked it. "Thirty-two years," I replied. "Thirty-three," she corrected. This could be a long trip.

Thanks for reading.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #23
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
Congratulations to you and your wife! I know this will turn out great. Keep us posted!!
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #24
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Saturday - A new bike

Saturday - LiberiaSon dropped us off at the airport at 11:30am for our 12:50 flight to BWI and then on to Logan Field in Boston.

We had our baggage down to a minimum but knew that it was still likely too much. We checked 2 bags (free on Southwest!) and could have checked 2 more at no charge. One of the bags was a Rally Pack which is designed for motorcycles. The other was a small, thin “throw away” duffle bag used jut to get us to the panniers on the motorcycle. We had a backpack with my computer, Mrs. Liberia’s camera bag and 2 helmets as carry ons. Not too bad for 2 people on a fly n ride for a total of 6 days on the road.

We left Nashville a few minutes late but got to BWI right on time. With an hour before the next flight we decided to get a bite to eat a the Tex-Mex place in the airport. Mrs. Liberia had a great salad and I had a good bowl of tortilla soup (sorry I forgot to tell her that every meal must be photographed). We got to our gate just as people were lining up to board so the timing was perfect. Once on the plane however, we taxied out and then were informed of a delay due to bad weather in Boston. So we ended up leaving about 40 minutes late. The weather was gone by the time we arrived in Boston.

Picking up our baggage we were met by Bill and began the hour long ride to his house. He was a very nice guy and provided several additional items for the bike that were not discussed as well as having moved the Pelican top case back so there would be more room for Mrs. Liberia. (I don’t know why we didn’t get a picture of him before we left.)

It was completely dark before we left his house for the 1:15 ride to Westborough and the DoubleTree Hotel. (We got a smoking deal there through HotWire.com - $63 plus tax.)

Thankfully it was an easy set of directions from his house to I-495 (2 turns and we were on the Interstate). The 69 mile ride was a good one with the previous rain having cooled things down considerably.

The KLR was geared noticeably high which was good news for the time we would spend on interstates. At 70mph it showed 4,500 rpm. Even with 2 people and a lot of baggage the power was good. Bill used the bike to commute so the tires are 90% street oriented. Again, good for the trip home.

Arriving at the DoubleTree we noticed 2 Harley’s parked on the side of the entranceway so we moved the KLR behind them allowing it to be within sight of the front desk personnel. Checking in we received the famous hot chocolate chip cookies that are the trademark of the hotel chain.

It was nearly 10:30pm when we checked in and we hurried to get our baggage up to the room so that we could make it to the hotel restaurant before it stopped serving at 11:00. We made it with 15 minutes to spare but the waiter was not happy to see us. “The kitchen closes in 10 minutes so you will have to hurry.” We excused ourselves rather than rush our meal and ordered a chicken parm pizza from a local pizza place. It was good but Dr. Asa would not have been happy with our food selection.

Day 1 - 69.4 miles on the bike. 1,178 miles by car and plane.

The room is very nice and we feel like a good night’s sleep is at hand.

There is free internet in the lobby but it’s $10 in the room. So I’m posting yesterday’s report this morning.

Liberia screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 03:51 PM
Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #25
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 705
Looking forward to this , have a blast, be safe

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #26
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Check the oil, check the oil, check the oil.

Every KLR uses oil at interstate speeds, and especially if you are running harder (into a head wind, or heavily loaded) At 55-60, it's almost never a problem. Over 65-70, I add a couple drops at every stop. I stop every 50-75 miles, just for circulation.

Make sure the rear shock is maxed out on the preload setting.

I used to commute between offices in Massachusetts, Jersey and Harrisburg PA. I'd definately run the parkways instead of the interstates.

Keep tire pressures UP, there's a lot of heat in the road, and overloaded really increases failure rates. More pressure=cooler tire temps.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #27
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Sunday - Day 2

Today started at 3:30am when I woke up after only 4 hours of sleep. Not sure whether it was excitement or something else. I fought it until 5:00am and then slipped out of the room for free internet access in the lobby to post yesterday's ride report.

At around 6:00am I went back to the room, showered, shaved and dressed for the day. I ended up wearing the same clothes as yesterday for some reason. Mrs. Liberia later commented that I couldn't keep doing that or everyone would think that all the pictures were taken in the same day.

I put off waking my wife as long as possible but finally had to wake her as LiberiaDaughter's boss, Mark, had comp'd us 2 tickets to Jacoby and Prock's (see a Dance Magazine article at www.jacobypronk.com/go/Dance_Magazine.html) final performance at Jacob's Pillow Dance Theater (www.Jacobspillow.org) where she is serving as an intern. She graduated from Savannah College of Art and Design in May. The performance starts at 2:00pm and we have to be there by 1:30.

It's been a long time since we have missed church services on a Sunday morning but today would be an exception. As it turns out, I passed very few churches on the route we took.

So as Mrs. Liberia got up we used the Wolfgang Puck coffee in the room to make a couple of cups. I didn't know at the time that this would be all we had until 4:00pm in the afternoon. After that we repacked the bags and headed down to the bike. The guys with the BMW 1200RT and Ultra Classic were down and we talked for a few minutes. They were 60 miles aways from completing a 2,800 mile trip. We are 60 miles into a 1,200 trip.

After loading all the bags we mounted up and left for Lenox, MA via Highway 20. We could have taken I-90 almost the entire way and made it in 2 hours but we'll be on interstates too much on Tuesday and Friday so we choose to add an hour to the trip to stay on the more scenic backroads. The 50% increase in time turns out to be caused by the incredibly slow speed on most of Hwy 20. We experienced speed limits of 20 to, very rarely, 55mph. I'm sure we didn't average more than 40mph the entire way. However, the beautiful towns and country that we drove through were worth it.

Our first stop was when Mrs. Liberia leaned forward and said, "I need to go to the bathroom." So we stopped at the very first gas station. I gassed up (3.5 gallons) while it was discovered that this station had no bathroom. It's been 25 years since I've seen one of those... until today. So we crossed the street to a CVS drug store instead. This was about 45 miles into the day.

After that we continued west on 20. After another hour we stopped again along the roadway where a stream gurgled along.

We started again and made it to the Lenox Inn about 12:30pm. I used hotwire.com to book last night and tonight's rooms. Last night's was a tremendous deal but tonight's? Not so much. The Lenox Inn is a very old, motel that probably served travellers in the 50's and 60's. It's really a quaint little motel but the rooms are a little small and very poorly lit. But they are clean. My only requirements when travelling alone are clean and safe. When Mrs. Liberia is along however I like for the lodging to be a little nicer. But she's being a good sport about it.

We checked in, moved everything into the room, changed clothes and left to backtrack our way east on Hwy 20 to Jacob's Pillow. Soon after parking and changing shoes we saw the object of our joy. LiberiaDaughter was coming to meet us. We had not seen her in almost 3 months. She graduated from college and drove straight through to Becket to get there in time for her internship to start.

She showed us around the grounds, described what happens in each area and talked about some of the work she was doing. Her degree is in theater lighting and she is very competent plus has a strong work ethic. She'll do well wherever she lands. We met several of her co-workers and bosses and soon it was time to leave for the Doris Duke Theater and our show and for her to return to the show she was supporting. Today following the shows they have "changeover" which is loading out the current performers shows and loading in next week's groups. She will likely work until midnight or after.

She texted us that she would see us tonight as she is staying with us at the Lenox Inn. We left for Lenox and began running into drops of rain a few miles out. The drops increased and it looked like we should stop and put on the rainsuits but we were close so we made it back to a nice Chinese resturaunt a block from the motel and stopped for a meal (no pictures). A brief shower took place while we ate but it cleared up before we finished. Leaving we made a quick stop by a grocery store to pick up some fruit and other items. Then back to the motel for a nap and bath while waiting for our baby girl to arrive.

Today we had another low mileage day but managed to make our timeline. 153 miles and 3 hours.

Liberia screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 03:59 PM
Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #28
troutwhisperer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Great weather coming your way in Virginia

Looks like a great ride so far. You are in for some great riding weather this week in Virginia. Glad you was not coming thru here this past weekend. It was 98 - 100 degrees.

Mike
troutwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #29
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Monday - Day3

I drifted off to sleep last night a little after midnight but Mrs. Liberia and LiberiaDaughter stayed up talking until 3:00am. I just can't hang with them that late.

At 7:00am it's time to get up and do something without waking the ladies. So I dressed, brushed my teeth and slipped out to try to find the October Mountain State Forest which looks like it has some nice roads. I use the gps and have also looked at Google maps. But the park roads are not on the gps and I have no luck finding my way. I end up about 8 miles south back on Highway 20. So I bail on that idea and decide to drive back up to Pittsfield, MA where I understand a Wal-Mart resides. I've decided to pick up a small, digital camera so that we can take pictures while moving with the KLR. Mrs. Liberia's camera/lens is too large to keep out while travelling and we're missing too many shots. So, with the help of a couple of shop owners, I locate Wal-Mart, decide on a Nikon CoolPix S3000 which is small and takes 12megapixel pictures. My sister-in-law will be proud. She never goes on vacation without spending time at the local Wal-Mart (even in Alaska).

Now back to the motel room to see if anyone is up. It's close to 10:00am and Mrs. Liberia is awake but LiberiaDaughter is still sleeping. Monday's are her only day off and Jacobs Pillow Dance Theater works its interns pretty hard.

Mrs. Liberia helps me test the new camera for movement pictures.

LiberiaDaughter has to do some hair work before we can leave.

Finally everyone is awake and we decide to go to the historic downtown area of Lenox. What a surprise to find duch a beautiful area to explore.

First we park and look at a small park that was created by the local citizens.

Some great artwork:

Then it's time for some coffee:

[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...noxcoffee3.jpg[/IMG]

Then some general bonding and touring:

Isn't she beautiful?

Some flowers along the way:

Then it's on to Lee, MA for lunch, laundry and ice cream.

Joe's Diner is a favorite spot that has entertained presidents and provided inpiration for Norman Rockwell.

There is nothing healthy about a burger, seasoned fries and milkshake.

We even had our own pay phone at the table.

Now to do once a week laundry.

Finally, ice cream at Lucky's.

Then back to the room for a little rest before, can you believe it, dinner. We had discovered a Greek resturaunt in Lenox that we wanted to visit.

Mousaka and 2 Calzones provide way too much food.

We waddle back out to the car and head back for the motel. The weather is wonderful at about 70 degrees. It looks like we'll enjoy good temperatures all the way home rather than the 95-100 degrees we were seeing last week. Now if we can avoid the showers.

Today was a very low mileage day on the bike as most of the day was spent in a cage. The odometer reading includes yesterday's miles as well. So today was only 34 miles.

Tomorrow's a big day. We have to make it all the way to Winchester, VA which is 415 miles of mostly Interstate driving. Mrs. Liberia is a little apprehensive and I'm not really looking forward to it either. But at least it's on a bike.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 AM   #30
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Monday - Day 3 - Jacob's Pillow

I got tired last night and frustrated loading pictures into Photobucket so I didn't record the last thing we did before dinner. Here's some pictures from a tour of Jacob's Pillow that we did on a quick run back by there so our daughter could drop off the clothes that she washed. Monday is the day everyone is off and most leave for the day.

The front entrance on Highway 20, Becket MA

One of the early clues that you're entering a dance theater campus

Where is everything?

The actual rock from which Jacob's Pillow get's its name

The Administration Building including the Stone Cafe and "the Nook"

The Inside Out theater where free concerts are given. From the right angle it looks as though the dancers are floating in the air.

The cottage LiberiaDaughter shares with 5 other girls who are interning.

Sommers Studio

The Avnet House for eductional activites

St. Denis studio. Where the dancers warm up.

The Doris Duke Theater where we watched Jacoby and Pronk perform

Blake's Barn where the archive of prior shows is maintained

The Ted Shawn Theater. Shawn was the founder of Jacob's Pillow

A "shot in the dark" inside The Ted Shawn Theater

Some flower pictures I took while wondering around the grounds

A final picture to reinforce the weirdness of artists

Goodbye to a relaxing day. Tomorrow will be 400+ miles of steady riding.