Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #16
themobb OP
Is this thing on???

Oddometer: 504
I just pulled the trigger on the Stebel TM80 Magnum, low tone, in black from Hornsplusauto. $19.95 including shipping.

Can't wait to get rid of the "Meep, Meep".
Thanks for everyone's help in this thread!

Lance
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
I think you'll like it. Easy mod, the trimming is minor and it's car horn sound is great. :)
Old 07-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckC
Originally posted by YetiGS:

Yeti, how do you find the performance of the Magnum? The Nautilus installation looks like too much of a hassle.
Good enough, certainly as loud as car horns.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
themobb OP
Is this thing on???

Finally got it installed... Way to many projects and Honey Doo's....

Anyway, I though I'd try my Radio Shack sound level meter before and after to see the difference.

Believe me, I know this is not scientific, but I think it's fairly accurate in "relative" terms. The bike is in the garage, so lots of echo. I hold the meter out in front of the bike as far as I can reach and still reach the horn button. Works out to be about three feet from the horn. Meter set to C weighting and fast response.

Stock horn: 110db

Stebel Magnum: 118db

For what it's worth...

BTW: the tone is much lower and more car sounding. i like it better than the stock "Beep".

Lance
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #20
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themobb
Finally got it installed... Way to many projects and Honey Doo's....

Anyway, I though I'd try my Radio Shack sound level meter before and after to see the difference.

Believe me, I know this is not scientific, but I think it's fairly accurate in "relative" terms. The bike is in the garage, so lots of echo. I hold the meter out in front of the bike as far as I can reach and still reach the horn button. Works out to be about three feet from the horn. Meter set to C weighting and fast response.

Stock horn: 110db

Stebel Magnum: 118db

For what it's worth...

BTW: the tone is much lower and more car sounding. i like it better than the stock "Beep".

Lance
Actually that is a big difference. 118 is 8x louder than 110db. It's like earthquakes.
http://www.rcaanews.org/noiselev.htm
Old 08-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #21
themobb OP
Is this thing on???

Yeah, I knew the scale was logarithmic. An increase of 3db is effectively twice as loud. It didn't seem That Much louder in the real world garage... Oh Well, I'm probably losing my hearing. I'll add it to the list..

Lance
Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #22
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,637
I dropped a Stebel Mangum low tone in, sound is louder but not in the Nautilus catergory. Had to trim a little and make some pin connections to keep original plug in case I want to go back to orig horn (yeah I'm an idiot, read sig)

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #23
bklynz00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Stebel Nautilus F8GS

Hello everyone, just wanted to add my + .02 to the convo; I added the Stebel Nautilus on my F8GS over the weekend and I'm very impressed. The Stebel Nautilus requires a bit more wiring such as the relay, but it is well worth the results!! The set arrangement I used neatly tucks away my Stebel Nautilus behind the cover of my bike. There are a couple of links avail that assisted me and gave me the idea and confidence to make the install. Here are some pic's of the results.

Cheers,
bklynz00

My process included seperating the compressor from the horn, then attaching the relay to the compressor, attaching the compressor to the left handside frame of the bike just above the radiator.

Horn attached to the radiator frame. Horn connected to the compressor using a vacuum hose.

Cover on, items tucked away neatly behind the cover.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #24
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Nice work. Ifyou ride off road a lot the nautilus has a habit of vibrating apart. For my $12 the magnum is plenty loud at car horn levels.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #25
bklynz00
Gnarly Adventurer

Off roading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Nice work. Ifyou ride off road a lot the nautilus has a habit of vibrating apart. For my $12 the magnum is plenty loud at car horn levels.
Really, first time I heard that....however, I dont off road that much anyways. Maybe in the near future though. :)
Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Great thread - now when I get ready to make a left turn, I can honk even louder at people!
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #27
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Keep an eye on your zip tie mounts. We find even the extra heavy duty ones give up after about a year. Of course you are quite a bit lower in elevation and that big ball o' fire up in the sky does not tend to toast things quite as fast at lower elevations.

I REALLY enjoy mashing on the horn button when a cager pulls a bonehead move in front of me or ESPECIALLY when they are on the phone.....I KNOW the person on the other end can hear it as well!
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #28
bklynz00
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo
Keep an eye on your zip tie mounts. We find even the extra heavy duty ones give up after about a year. Of course you are quite a bit lower in elevation and that big ball o' fire up in the sky does not tend to toast things quite as fast at lower elevations.

I REALLY enjoy mashing on the horn button when a cager pulls a bonehead move in front of me or ESPECIALLY when they are on the phone.....I KNOW the person on the other end can hear it as well!
Will do, thanks for the info... sure would hate for that to happen.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #29
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Nice work. If you ride off road a lot the nautilus has a habit of vibrating apart. For my $12 the magnum is plenty loud at car horn levels.
I'm going with Gangplank here. I *do* like the Nautilus setups (and had one on the R12GS), however I have found the Magnum unit does get their attention. Of course, what would be even better is a two-tone Magnum setup... ;)

Loud horns save lives.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #30
bklynz00
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb vibrating loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
I'm going with Gangplank here. I *do* like the Nautilus setups (and had one on the R12GS), however I have found the Magnum unit does get their attention. Of course, what would be even better is a two-tone Magnum setup... ;)

Loud horns save lives.
Great info, I plan on reinforcing my compressor and horn with wire to help prevent from vibrating loose.