Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #31
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
You can get some special stainless steel zip ties. They work REAL well but take a special installation tool to tighten them up and are kind of pricey.

Another way is to use the smaller style of stainless hose clamps, but you have to re-work the slots where the zip ties go through to make them big enough to accept the hose clamps. The only way they can fail is if they start to loosen up (but if they do you hear the horns rattling around and just re-tighten them).

Wire works pretty well too, although it does seem to work loose quite often (more so if you ride aggresively in the dirt), but be sure to use stainless as the ordinary bailing wire will eventually rust and then bleed rust stains all over everything.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #32
bklynz00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Thumb Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo
You can get some special stainless steel zip ties. They work REAL well but take a special installation tool to tighten them up and are kind of pricey.

Another way is to use the smaller style of stainless hose clamps, but you have to re-work the slots where the zip ties go through to make them big enough to accept the hose clamps. The only way they can fail is if they start to loosen up (but if they do you hear the horns rattling around and just re-tighten them).

Wire works pretty well too, although it does seem to work loose quite often (more so if you ride aggresively in the dirt), but be sure to use stainless as the ordinary bailing wire will eventually rust and then bleed rust stains all over everything.

thanks dvgonzo
Old 08-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #33
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,731
I picked up the BMW connector today so I can put my horn on without cutting the wire harness. I also picked up the connector that plugs in under the tank.
I will use that connector to fire a relay to supply all the current I need through a fuse block. I think the connectors were like $20 each.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #34
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Where'd you get the connector? Got a link? Thanks!
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #35
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictrolis
Where'd you get the connector? Got a link? Thanks!
sorry, the receipt is in a drawer I just put in storage for 2 weeks while I do some remodeling.
I found a post from last year where Solohvs posted "Part number 83300402344 is the correct pigtail to connect to the horn circuit".
I think we both go to the same dealer, I told the parts guy I wanted to put an aftermarket horn on my bike without cutting the harness, he said "here is your connector". Not sure if that is the part number. Hell I have not even tried the connector yet but it looks right.