User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #31
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Oddometer: 20
Laugh Just bought an 82 red Turbo Seca

Howdy y'all. Just picked up a beater '82 Turbo Seca done in a red color (stock?) and began tearing it down for a look. Last registered here in Ca. 2001, so it's been sitting over 10 years. Unfortunately, while unloading it I let it slip off the ramp and it went down on the right side although the back wheel was already on the pavement. Not too hard a fall but smashed the right front turn sig lens-- anybody got a spare?.Need a new windshield too!!!.. I noticed a lot of oil on the back side of the engine fins so it appears to be a leaker and not well cared for. Anyway, found a pristine looking 2nd turbo 650 motor in S.D. on ebay and bought it, so once I get that home I can dig into the top end and sides for inspection and make sure all is well before sticking it into the frame. I read a couple of good blogs here and I am thinking of swapping forks and brakes off another bike like others have done to increase braking and front shocking action. I heard the FZ600 forks will slide into the triple clamps and give better action overall, is this true?.. I have already upgraded a couple of pre-2008 KLR650s with both YZ450 forks and DRZ400 forks setups and these swaps made the KLRs awesome bikes to ride with REAL stopping power.....anyone know the best and easiest fork swaps for this 650 turbo Seca?? One blog said the FJ1200 triple clamp set will fit the steering head with minor mods?? Anyone done this yet?......I plan to sandblast this bike down to bare steel and build up as I have done on some others I have rebuilt, so a few improvements will be in the works as I plan to keep the bike over time...I had the 1st GSXR750 back in 85 or 86, a few '75 Norton 850 Commandos, BSAs, FJ1100, GPZs, KLX650s, KLR650s, and much more since I ain't no spring chicken! But I want to have fun rebuilding this unique little 650 turbo....any input will help....thanks!!
Kentuckysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #32
Michelangelo OP
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,633
I wish I had experience with these bikes, but sadly don't. Like you, I've done multiple front end fork swaps. My latest is an Ohlins front end on a rebuilt XR600R that I'm making into a flat tracker. I've done XR650R forks on a Honda Transalp as well.

I hope you will keep us up to date with the NOW pics and the build as it progresses. Man, if I was you I'd go all out with the front in swap and do something like an R6 front end!
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #33
fatalerror
skrik vir niks

Oddometer: 847
there is one for sale on ebay right now for $500.00
just search yamaha turbo. not mine!
fatalerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #34
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
This thread is great, my old boss who's a big bs'r would tell me about this turbo bike he used to have which i figured coming from him was typical bs but they actually do exist.

Reading thru here really has me wanting to ride one just for the experience, thou his words of knowledge are if it scares you twice get rid of it because the third will get you.
1greenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #35
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Wink Red seca 650 turbo

OK... Been tearing down this old bike and man it's going to be a ton of work..everything filthy, greasy, caked dirt, oil, and rust all over. Previous owners rode this bike into the ground until it just gave up the ghost I think..typical L.A. based idiots here--- no shortage of abusive dumbass riders around THIS city...I'll get the carbs off tomorrow and rip this baby down to the bone....really surprised by all the wiring and lines all over the place, -plus just the WEIGHT of this lead sled.....feel like cutting off the subframe and building one of aluminum or grafting on a section from another more modern bike. crap, they really believed in STEEL in the "old days"....(my era). I'll probably graft on an FJ1200 fork set with better brake system....probably do all the fairings in a darker gun-metal metallic silver-grey two tone with a lighter silver on the bottom section and use a white/red/black dividing line......I think that would give it a classy look, still very "80s"....I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #36
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckysurfer View Post
OK... Been tearing down this old bike and man it's going to be a ton of work..everything filthy, greasy, caked dirt, oil, and rust all over. Previous owners rode this bike into the ground until it just gave up the ghost I think..typical L.A. based idiots here--- no shortage of abusive dumbass riders around THIS city...I'll get the carbs off tomorrow and rip this baby down to the bone....really surprised by all the wiring and lines all over the place, -plus just the WEIGHT of this lead sled.....feel like cutting off the subframe and building one of aluminum or grafting on a section from another more modern bike. crap, they really believed in STEEL in the "old days"....(my era). I'll probably graft on an FJ1200 fork set with better brake system....probably do all the fairings in a darker gun-metal metallic silver-grey two tone with a lighter silver on the bottom section and use a white/red/black dividing line......I think that would give it a classy look, still very "80s"....I'll post pics tomorrow.
Send me your address via PM and I will send you a CD with all the manuals, plus adds, tips and tricks, and other information on your bike.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #37
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

Oddometer: 182
I restored mine last winter. It's my favorite bike of the stable. The front end has Progressive springs, new pads, and Speigler brake lines: works great. I shimmed the safety pop off valve with a washer and along with the cheapy ebay boost controller it is bumping 18 lbs of boost.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #38
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

These bikes were ahead of their time with self canceling turn signals and lcd gauges.
It pegs out the factory boost gauge so i installed this:
Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #39
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

Pic of the pop off valve and surge tank:
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #40
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Old beat up seca turbo 650

Here's a few pics of the bike when I got her home, stripped her naked, and looked at her in her sad, neglected state, like an old debutante seducer now aged and cast off into the "nursing home". Not real purty anymore, but I will do the necessary CPR on her, do some mechanical surgery, a few new parts, a bolus of epi, some sodium bicarb, 300 joules of defib with the paddles, and hopefully give her a shot at once again bringing a smile into a young man's heart...especially with that turbo kicking in at speed--- yeeeee-haaaw!!!.......and today really blew my mind as I tore off the valve cover and beheld what looked like a brand new top end without a speck of old oil, dirt, or even discoloration...man, you talk about not judging a book by the cover cliche......someone must have just rebuilt her top end before I got her. Looked like brand spankin new cams with a new timing sprocket and chain and valve shims smooth and untouched by a cam lobe.... I feel the urge to pull off the head to see if the cylinders and pistons are new.....this is getting interesting and intriguing...the guy I got the bike from said the previous owner was putting it out on the street 11 yrs ago as abandoned junk....he rolled it into his den and displayed it for 10 yrs....I wonder why-- just old technology at the time???....cant seem to load photos into this page.....
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #41
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckysurfer View Post
Here's a few pics of the bike when I got her home, stripped her naked, and looked at her in her sad, neglected state, like an old debutante seducer now aged and cast off into the "nursing home". Not real purty anymore, but I will do the necessary CPR on her, do some mechanical surgery, a few new parts, a bolus of epi, some sodium bicarb, 300 joules of defib with the paddles, and hopefully give her a shot at once again bringing a smile into a young man's heart...especially with that turbo kicking in at speed--- yeeeee-haaaw!!!.......and today really blew my mind as I tore off the valve cover and beheld what looked like a brand new top end without a speck of old oil, dirt, or even discoloration...man, you talk about not judging a book by the cover cliche......someone must have just rebuilt her top end before I got her. Looked like brand spankin new cams with a new timing sprocket and chain and valve shims smooth and untouched by a cam lobe.... I feel the urge to pull off the head to see if the cylinders and pistons are new.....this is getting interesting and intriguing...the guy I got the bike from said the previous owner was putting it out on the street 11 yrs ago as abandoned junk....he rolled it into his den and displayed it for 10 yrs....I wonder why-- just old technology at the time???....cant seem to load photos into this page.....
Take care of your air filter, fuel pump and coils; no longer available.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #42
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo 1 View Post
Take care of your air filter, fuel pump and coils; no longer available.
You can't "take care of " coils, if you want to ride it...

The easy way out when your 30 year-old coils fossilize their plug leads is to use Honda VF coils from the mid-80's. They have the right resistance, the mounting holes line up (you need four small spacers) and these coils will let you install whatever secondary eire that you desire.

The coils that have their secondary terminals exiting 90 degrees from the body work best: it's a bit of weaseling to route the plug leads, and you'll need to fab some wiring adapters for the primaries.

Figure on about $50 for Ebay coils and 6 feet of secondary wire w/new plug caps.

As compared to new ones that retail for ~241.00 without the plug caps.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #43
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

I guess I should of said "be careful with". Sorry about that.
Here is the carb kits:
http://www.bdesigns.ca/Yamaha_Carb_Kits.htm
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #44
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 480
Slightly off topic... but...

What a great thread. Makes me wonder what a CBR250 or Ninja 300 would be like, if someone offered a good turbo kit for it. Especially now that FI, detonation, etc., issues have been figured out.

Actually, makes ME wonder why the factory doesn't offer one of the bigger sports tourers in a turbo version. A 750cc I4 turbo version of the FJR1300 or Concours, but 100 lbs lighter, would be an awesome bike... mid- to high-60 mpg range, plus all the power you need but only when you need it. Maybe the new Honda NC700X would make a good candidate for a turbo?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #45
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
What a great thread. Makes me wonder what a CBR250 or Ninja 300 would be like, if someone offered a good turbo kit for it. Especially now that FI, detonation, etc., issues have been figured out.
The market won't support it. Would you want a 250/300 kit with maybe 50 bhp, at least 25# more bulk, turbo lag, and the need for lower compression pistons?. Detonation was "figured out" a long time ago (go ask Sir Harry Ricardo), but the stock c/r for either of those engines is still way too high for any significant boost on street gas, hence the need for a lower c/r if you want to exploit what a turbo can do.

You'd also need a stronger clutch and some upgraded transmission bits to deal with the increase in torque. A little more weight, and a lot more $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
Actually, makes ME wonder why the factory doesn't offer one of the bigger sports tourers in a turbo version. A 750cc I4 turbo version of the FJR1300 or Concours, but 100 lbs lighter, would be an awesome bike... mid- to high-60 mpg range, plus all the power you need but only when you need it. Maybe the new Honda NC700X would make a good candidate for a turbo?
Because trying to ride a turbo-bike on a twisty road just doesn't work...even a little but of lag turns potential fun into frustration.

Don't get this wrong... I love boosted engines, but they just aren't the best solution to making a better motorcycle.

More power isn't necessarily better power.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote