User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #76
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Oddometer: 20
Cry old red turbo beater project

Think hard before you leap into buying one of these..I've been losing my enthusiasm for this bike...I had a hell of a time finding carb parts for my red beater project. The damn carbs are SPECIFIC to this bike, meaning they were made ONLY for this turbo, thus the 8 intake manifolds(rubber/plastic) are virtually impossible to find and most originals are all cracked and rotted by now. The carb diaphrams are impossible to find, the fuse holders are corroded and disintegrating by now. The turbo parts- new seals, bearings, compressor wheels etc are virtually impossible to find new(I called all over), so are the turn signal lenses, front mirrors, windscreen, boost sensor, check valves both fuel and oil for turbo, and all kinds of small parts.....it would be easier to find parts for antique Harleys, Indians, and Nortons since many parts are being re-manufactured and many modern parts have even better quality with better, more modern alloys used. I kind of regret doing this bike mainly since it's so HEAVY compared to the single thumpers I always had and even compared to my old Norton 850 Commandos. Just doesn't have the quick flickability and ease of maneuvering those lighter bikes have........this will be for sale when completed, a thorough restoration with 2 engines and parts. The only shortcut I did was that I didn't sandblast and powder coat the frame, I used enamel paint instead.....losing my turbo religion
Kentuckysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #77
wabbit45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Plastics are about the only thing impossible to find in decent or good shape. Most people selling them show pics of cracked body plastics. I never had a prioblem finding mechanical parts. You mentioned the check valve. i had one NOS in a Yamaha plastic bag. I had bought a complete set of carbs on Ebay (never used them but had it) and they were in great shape. Helps though if you're not buying things blind. The carbs I bought on ebay had great pics at all angles and close-ups.

Yeah, it's definitely a challenge, but the mechanical stuff is still out there. I even found wiring harnesses and spark plugs (they have coils attached - hard to find), and even the stator, fuse block, instrument cluster, and ignition box. don't give up. Check with all the Seca Turbo forums for help.
wabbit45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #78
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,425
I resurrected a couple of 80's Yamahas a couple of heard back and 2 out of 3 had junk fuse boxes.
You can still find others that will work for just a few bucks.
Can't help you with the rest though.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #79
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckysurfer View Post
Think hard before you leap into buying one of these..I've been losing my enthusiasm for this bike...I had a hell of a time finding carb parts for my red beater project. The damn carbs are SPECIFIC to this bike, meaning they were made ONLY for this turbo, thus the 8 intake manifolds(rubber/plastic) are virtually impossible to find and most originals are all cracked and rotted by now. The carb diaphrams are impossible to find, the fuse holders are corroded and disintegrating by now. The turbo parts- new seals, bearings, compressor wheels etc are virtually impossible to find new(I called all over), so are the turn signal lenses, front mirrors, windscreen, boost sensor, check valves both fuel and oil for turbo, and all kinds of small parts.....it would be easier to find parts for antique Harleys, Indians, and Nortons since many parts are being re-manufactured and many modern parts have even better quality with better, more modern alloys used. I kind of regret doing this bike mainly since it's so HEAVY compared to the single thumpers I always had and even compared to my old Norton 850 Commandos. Just doesn't have the quick flickability and ease of maneuvering those lighter bikes have........this will be for sale when completed, a thorough restoration with 2 engines and parts. The only shortcut I did was that I didn't sandblast and powder coat the frame, I used enamel paint instead.....losing my turbo religion
XJforever has everything you need. His replacement fusebox is really nice, it comes with labeled leads with crimps attached. The only new part I can't find is the air filter.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #80
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

Oddometer: 184
Here is my build thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=seca+turbo
Good luck.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #81
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,728
How practical would it be to put an XS1100 motor in this frame? I had one of those bikes and it was Fast..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #82
MacMcMacmac
Seahorse Farrier

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
How practical would it be to put an XS1100 motor in this frame? I had one of those bikes and it was Fast..
Completely impractical. Different engine entirely. The 900 would fit though, if you can find one, and since it would probably be located in the far superior 900 Seca, I would leave it there and sell the turbo anyway. I have owned both.

If you want to fix up the bodywork, do a bit of searching for MEK welding.

I agree that this is a heavy, ill handling bike. Whatever you do, don't put on a set of those el-cheapo MDI shocks or you'll end up with a hardtail. I had to put in Progessive springs to keep the forks from bottoming. I put on a newer 5/8" bore master cylinder and braided lines just to get braking up to the "acceptable" level. I put in new clutch plates since the originals were slipping, and lastly pulled down the motor entirely to install a new starter clutch (the bane of the XJ motor). Was it worth it? Not in the least, and I bought a GS1100 the following year, flogging the XJ off for far less than I had into it. It didn't even need the starter clutch, they all slip like hell when you put synthetic oil in them.

Having said that, if I found another, I would strip it to its absolute bare essentials and maybe make a drag bike out of it by upping the boost to about 20psi or so. Nobody wants these machines, so hacking them up to make it your own is hardly butchering a classic.
MacMcMacmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #83
artmunson
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hello all! First post.

Thanks for letting me join the forum. I only have a minute now and don't type well so I will get to the point and babble later. I am 50yo and have worked on bikes since I was 12. I worked at bikes shops for 17years and still work on bikes and cars almost daily. However this will be the first time bringing 2 turbos back from the dead. My main concern is turbo related issues; the quirks with the turbo,oil lines,blow-off valve,etc. I know I could read for hours on the net and get lots of different opinions but I am hoping a few of you can give me some real specific answers about problems and solutions. I hope to start working on these bikes Thursday. Thanks. artmunson@comcast.net
artmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #84
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Oddometer: 20
Hi Art, welcome to the world of old, neglected turbo-bikes and the turbo-heads who dare to be square and try to fix them....I am the guy who is doing the old red turbo beater project...I just finished spending 2 full weeks going through a 1985 Honda V-Twin 500 Shadow and am returning to finish up the turbo tomorrow, Tuesday 3-12-13....the old Honda I just restored is real peppy and scoots around real well. I love it. The Yamahopper turbo is just about done but I need to finish the wiring harness, get the carbs re-assembled, and repair and re-paint the fairings....I have 2 engines for it and have gone through every part on it.... now to hook all this weird stuff up properly! Fortunately, some kind soul on ADV took pity on my feeble efforts and sent me the full XJ650LJ turbo manual on CD so I have good references...it was from a guy whose sticker says JVB Productions, he didn't charge me a dime and all I can say is a heartfelt THANKS BRO!!!
Kentuckysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #85
Strange246
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Great thread! I have an 83 Seca Turbo I bought in 95 as my first real streetbike, I rode the snot out of it for about 5 years then gave it to my best friend who rode it for 3-4 years and parked it, he had to move and couldnt take it with him about 2 years ago so I took her home to restore, but just now getting around to it...I just picked up a 82 Seca Turbo yesturday for a donor to the 83, I'll post pics shortly...

Ryan
Strange246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #86
philr_1
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Parked my 83 Seca Turbo with > 75,000 miles when I bought my S4R which has since been replaced with a Multistrada.
Reading these post are tempting me to pull out of the corner of the garage and get it running so I can ride it to the Hoame show in Kansas City on Sunday June 9th.
philr_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #87
BMW HP4 in Monterey
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Yamaha turbo thoughts from owning two of them

I owned two different 1982 Yamaha turbos; purchased one new in 1982 and the other used in 1989.

It’s been a while! But I’ll pass along some thoughts…

1. The most fun is feeling the turbo come on at 5,000 rpm or so. Bone stock it would add just enough power to make the front end feel light… With the later power-up kit it would loft the front wheel.
2. Those of you interested in sport-touring with it? Not so good if you want to travel at 70-80mph, because it’s constantly going “on” and “off” turbo (around 5,000 rpm.)
3. The turbo was the only bike I remember that, for Cycle World’s 40-60 and 60-80 top gear times, had a faster time from 60-80. It was 5.5 seconds and 4.5 seconds as I recall, because from 60-80 it was getting full boost.
4. Yamaha ran a TV ad, that showed a Porsche turbo on twisty roads, and the announcer said, “The Porsche turbo, one of the world’s fastest cars.” Then the Yamaha sped by the Porsche and the announcer said, “Introducing the Yamaha turbo (etc)”
5. A modified Yamaha turbo appears in the James Bond movie Never Say Never Again
6. The first Yamaha turbo I bought new; and thought I got a pretty good deal; paid $4,199 when the MSRP was $4,999. However, one year later Yamaha lowered the MSRP to $2,999. (Imagine how existing customers felt about that.) Recall that this was the era when the president of Yamaha said, “Next year, in 1982, Yamaha will produce more motorcycles than Honda.” He was right. Yamaha did produce more than Honda, just as the bottom fell out of the U.S. motorcycle market. You could still buy a “new” 1982 Yamaha from dealers four or five years later.
7. When I owned that new turbo, I figured that it needed more boost. (This was before Yamaha apparently came to the same conclusion and released a “Power-up kit” for the turbo.) So a buddy of mine and I put our teenage minds to work, and decided that the solution was to fasten a kickstand spring to the turbo waste gate, to help keep it shut and keep boost up. That worked just great right up until we discovered that smart Yamaha engineers had included a pop-off valve just in case boost (for some reason like crazy teenagers) went too high.
8. The “real” Yamaha power-up kit was simple, and worked great. It was just a “delay valve” that let the turbo have 50% higher boost for a couple of seconds before bleeding-off everything back to normal. A couple of seconds at 50% higher boost did wonders…
9. Last turbo story… I lived in Maryland when I owned the second (used) turbo and stored the bike outside under a cover. I figured that the center stand was the safest way to store the bike, and all was well until a nasty gust of wind blew it over into my wife’s car door, damaging the car door, breaking the right-side turn signal and bending the fairing an inch or so to the left side. Got the car door fixed, got the turn signal fixed, but left the now slightly off-set fairing alone (since I didn’t know how to cheaply fix it). And I decided that I better park the bike on its side stand since the center stand apparently wasn’t a very good idea in the Maryland wind. A few weeks later came home to find that the wind had blown the bike over again, but this time onto the left side. I now needed to replace the left turn signal, but I also found that the fairing had been bent back perfectly. Was again aligned as good as new.
BMW HP4 in Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #88
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW HP4 in Monterey View Post
4.Yamaha ran a TV ad, that showed a Porsche turbo on twisty roads, and the announcer said, “The Porsche turbo, one of the world’s fastest cars.” Then the Yamaha sped by the Porsche and the announcer said, “Introducing the Yamaha turbo (etc)”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRmkOGSmtA8

k-moe screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 12:24 AM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #89
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
There is one for sale in the Austin TX Craigslist right now if anyone is looking. It is not mine and I know nothing about it.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #90
Bob Herr
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 266
Yamaha SecaTurbo

I just bought one of these yesterday. Been fascinated wit the idea of a turbo charged MC. Gonna get it out of my system. Anybody got an owners manual or shop manual they want to sell. Bob

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote