User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
Perfpup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Gaerne Boots

Have a pair rode 18,000 miles on RTW trip through every type of riding condition and they never leaked, great boots. The bottoms are a little soft and wear fairly quickly, but they are very comfortable to walk around in. If you are limited on space and can only take one pair of shoes I would highly recommend these.
Perfpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #17
fattires
Wandering aimlessly...

Oddometer: 316
I got a pair of these a while back and I say they are worth every penny. Totally waterproof and very comfortable on and off the bike.
As a matter of fact im wearing mine right now even though I'm not going to be riding today.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #18
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Waterproofness

I am about to put some $$$$ on these boots but I'd like to know whysome booots are leaking and some not. Are there copies being made out there, and being flogged on ebay?

I saw a video where some guy put his boots in the tub and they leaked. But so many don't leak.... I'm confused
Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #19
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
Bought mine from Atomic Moto, good price. I've ridden through several torrential rainstorms and they don't leak a drop. Haven't tried standing in a tub, but boots that leak in a tub doesn't mean they'll leak while riding, necessarily.

Super comfy, the soles are not stiff enough to ride standing on the pegs on singletrack all day and they are far more flexible than MX boots, but perfect for a day-to-day street/adv/dual sport boot. Walking around in them is amazingly comfortable, more so than any other boot I've tried.

Most importantly, the brown oiled leather looks fantastic.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
fattires
Wandering aimlessly...

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo View Post
I am about to put some $$$$ on these boots but I'd like to know whysome booots are leaking and some not. Are there copies being made out there, and being flogged on ebay?

I saw a video where some guy put his boots in the tub and they leaked. But so many don't leak.... I'm confused
so far mine are completely waterproof
Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #21
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 369
Balanced

+1 on the Balanced Oiled for comfort and looks can not comment on the tub test but have been good through rain and water.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
+1 on the Balanced Oiled for comfort and looks can not comment on the tub test but have been good through rain and water.
Hmmmmm....I really want some. I guess I should just do it.....
Old 02-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #23
Surguy
redneck in clogs

Oddometer: 101
+1 Boots "AWESOME"

Take your time and look around here and on eBay ; I picked up mine for around 200 , used of course

Surguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #24
rolo tomassi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I keep wanting a pair of the Aero Combat tourers but my MX Gaernes from around 1990 are still strong. Best boots around.
rolo tomassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #25
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,786
These boots sound like good commuters.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #26
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
I've got several thousand miles on these (Oil Balance) in various weather conditions; even walk though shallow water on occasion; no leaks. I put some Nikwax on them when they were new. The only issue you might have is they are a bit warm when the temperature rises. I've had quite a few different boots over the years and these are my favorites.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #27
Toompine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Gaerne Balnced Oiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo View Post

There are two models of Gaerne Balance; the Pro and the Oiled. ONLY the Oiled has the Gor-tex liner. That may be why some are leaking and some are not. The Gaerne Blanced oiled WILL NOT leak
Toompine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #28
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
I've got several thousand miles on these (Oil Balance) in various weather conditions; even walk though shallow water on occasion; no leaks. I put some Nikwax on them when they were new. The only issue you might have is they are a bit warm when the temperature rises. I've had quite a few different boots over the years and these are my favorites.

damn those are beautiful....thanks for posting a real world photo.....
Old 03-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #29
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 669
My partner and I have been using the Gaerne balance oiled boots for offroad riding since 2007.

We haven't had any issues riding single-track and two track all day long on turkey and dual sport runs in the northeast.

In fact, the flexibility of these boots has prevented some archilles and calf muscle issues (like cramping) that my partner (a big 6'4") was having when we would have to push-start folks on the trail when he wore stiffer-style mx boots.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I've had some spectacular biffs every season, even in rock gardens, and these boots have given me plenty of protection, even when pinned between footpeg and rocks.

Ryan Young was excellent to deal with, and we use the Gaerne boot paste a few times a season to keep the boots in good condition.

Other than a pair of 2001 BMW Savannah boots I can't kill (and which are still waterproof), I won't be riding in any other boots for street, adv, trail or trials.

Oh, and they fit, no problem, around my large calf muscles, and are not too high for my shorter legs, too.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #30
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey View Post
My partner and I have been using the Gaerne balance oiled boots for offroad riding since 2007.

We haven't had any issues riding single-track and two track all day long on turkey and dual sport runs in the northeast.

In fact, the flexibility of these boots has prevented some archilles and calf muscle issues (like cramping) that my partner (a big 6'4") was having when we would have to push-start folks on the trail when he wore stiffer-style mx boots.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I've had some spectacular biffs every season, even in rock gardens, and these boots have given me plenty of protection, even when pinned between footpeg and rocks.

Ryan Young was excellent to deal with, and we use the Gaerne boot paste a few times a season to keep the boots in good condition.

Other than a pair of 2001 BMW Savannah boots I can't kill (and which are still waterproof), I won't be riding in any other boots for street, adv, trail or trials.

Oh, and they fit, no problem, around my large calf muscles, and are not too high for my shorter legs, too.
Comfort wise, are they better than the BMW savannah?

Also, this is my first time buying MC specific footwear. I've read that these run wider at the toes than regular mc boots. Can you confirm this (compared to say your BMW savannahs?). My toes feel pretty cramped in regular footware and would like a wider toe box.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote