User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #31
Toompine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Balance Oiled

These boots are like slippers. They are unlike anything you have ever owned. I used them for years in Trials and they are amazing. There is a lot of walking and climbing in Trials to look at the sections. You can be in these all day and get great protection and great comfort
Toompine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #32
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 659
I think the Gaerne are wider in the toe box than the BMW Savannahs (which are an older model).
I did swap the replaceable insole on the Gaerne with something with more arch support, and it has been more comfortable than the Savannah.

Both of our Savannah boots (from 2001), developed a looseness around the lower ankle area where the boot hinges.

Like I said, the Gaerne's will be my last mc boot. I've been through Sidis and others.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #33
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey View Post
My partner and I have been using the Gaerne balance oiled boots for offroad riding since 2007.

We haven't had any issues riding single-track and two track all day long on turkey and dual sport runs in the northeast.

In fact, the flexibility of these boots has prevented some archilles and calf muscle issues (like cramping) that my partner (a big 6'4") was having when we would have to push-start folks on the trail when he wore stiffer-style mx boots.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I've had some spectacular biffs every season, even in rock gardens, and these boots have given me plenty of protection, even when pinned between footpeg and rocks.

Ryan Young was excellent to deal with, and we use the Gaerne boot paste a few times a season to keep the boots in good condition.

Other than a pair of 2001 BMW Savannah boots I can't kill (and which are still waterproof), I won't be riding in any other boots for street, adv, trail or trials.

Oh, and they fit, no problem, around my large calf muscles, and are not too high for my shorter legs, too.
That's it I'm buying some, thanks for the reviews everyone...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #34
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo View Post
That's it I'm buying some, thanks for the reviews everyone...
Post up where you order it from. I'm looking for a supplier in Canada that's willing to accept exchanges in case of wrong sizing.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #35
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Got mine from Ryan Young as well. They come in a bunch of different colors too if that matters to ya. I was initially atracted to them because they were brown.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #36
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
Post up where you order it from. I'm looking for a supplier in Canada that's willing to accept exchanges in case of wrong sizing.
Good thinking...I'm going to Oregon at the end of March hoping to get some there, or size anyway.

They are $329 on ebay if you click on Buy it Now, you can make them an offer, I was going to try $300 or less just to see. I was thinking about getting them there but matbe they aren't the same quality at a real dealer...

Thoughts???

I will post where I get them for how much.

El Birdo screwed with this post 03-02-2011 at 06:12 PM
El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #37
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
Got mine from Ryan Young as well. They come in a bunch of different colors too if that matters to ya. I was initially atracted to them because they were brown.
The "Balance Classics" are available in Blue, Red, White & Black, though they may be tough to find in the US or Canada. There also may be some old stock in various colors & models somewhere in cyberspace. YMMV.

The "Balance Oiled" boot is a pukka trials boot, available from Ryan Young for $329 USD

see - https://secure.rypusa.com/prodpage.c...399&startrow=1

Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #38
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Good thinking...I'm going to Oregon at the end of March hoping to get some there, or size anyway.

They are $329 on ebay if you click on Buy it Now, you can make them an offer, I was going to try $300 or less just to see. I was thinking about getting them there but matbe they aren't the same quality at a real dealer...

Thoughts???

Found one: http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/gaer...led-boots.html

Free shipping and good return policy too.

Quote:
General Returns Policy:
You may return new and unused items within 30 days of delivery for a refund. Items must be returned in their original product packaging including all literature / documentation and original tags (still attached).

Exchanges and Refunds:
There are NO RESTOCKING FEES on product exchanges or refunds.
But, with the current USD/CAD rates, this looks more appealing: https://secure.rypusa.com/prodpage.c...399&startrow=1 . Have it shipped to a border town in the US. Try it right then and there. Give rypusa.com a call and send them back right away if the fit is bad.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #39
stilldointime
Fast and Loose

Oddometer: 42
I've been looking at these boots for some time too. I have read several reviews on various sites and see that a lot of people have issues with them in hot weather. However, I trust the inmates and I am wondering........are these boots hotter then other similar boots?? Do they breathe or do they give you swamp foot?
stilldointime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #40
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 258
Boots width

The very first post leads me to believe these boots run wide in width, true or not. I wear a 10 D which is normal width. Also on the sizing chart the sizes go from 9 1/2 to 10 1/2. Since my Sidis have all been 45 Euro if these boots run true to size I should be ok????

Thanks for any feed back.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #41
Toompine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Balance Oiled

Quote:

Thoughts???

Only the Balanced Oiled have the Gortex and are waterproof. The Classic and Pro are not waterproof, only the Oiled version. Make sure you are getting the Oiled model if you want waterproof. They cost more so look carefully at anything being sold cheaper
Toompine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #42
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 659
The Gaerne's were true to size for me. I wear a 39 euro in all footwear and the 39 in Gaerne fit great. (U.S. size for me is 8.5 women.) After four years, they still fit great.

As far as overheating goes, I wear Smartwool, merino wool, socks year round with no heat or cold problems.. . . ymmv
https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #43
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldointime View Post
I've been looking at these boots for some time too. I have read several reviews on various sites and see that a lot of people have issues with them in hot weather. However, I trust the inmates and I am wondering........are these boots hotter then other similar boots?? Do they breathe or do they give you swamp foot?
I find ALL boost are hot when its hot out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
Found one: http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/gaer...led-boots.html

Free shipping and good return policy too.

But, with the current USD/CAD rates, this looks more appealing: https://secure.rypusa.com/prodpage.c...399&startrow=1 . Have it shipped to a border town in the US. Try it right then and there. Give rypusa.com a call and send them back right away if the fit is bad.
Good find. I will look into it...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #44
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
Really stuck trying to choose between these and the Sidi adventure. Gaerne....really comfy or Sidi......ok comfort but more protection. What is driving me nuts is that nobody in the Denver area sells the Balance Oiled so I can't see them in person.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #45
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I've had mine for 3 years now. Great boot. Comfortable and waterproof. I've put around 30,000 miles on them. I would say that the Sidi's probably have a little more protection, but the Gaerne's aren't bad. I found that they fit true to size. I wear a US 11 standard width and I use the Gaerne Euro size 45.
Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote