Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #46
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
I have the Adventures and still go back and forth about whether I should have bought the Balance Oiled. In my case, the local shop had the Adventures so that's what I got. Had a shop had the Balance, I just as easily could have bought them (and probably would have since I paid $375 for the Sidis).

I'm really happy with the Adventures. But the squeaking really is maddening and I haven't found a foolproof, long term way to defeat it. The protection is a plus with the Sidis, but when I get to work the first thing I do is take them off (because of the squeaking mostly, comfort is fine). If I had the Balances, I'd probably just leave them on all day based upon reviews. I guess that's what I really like about them is that they truly are a great compromise boot. If you're willing to give up some protection, you get a great looking boot (with no squeaking!)

I probably could do without all the protection of the Sidis, so perhaps the Balance would have been the better choice.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #47
Golevi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
MotoGear Outlet sells them and plus, they are some great guys to deal with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
Really stuck trying to choose between these and the Sidi adventure. Gaerne....really comfy or Sidi......ok comfort but more protection. What is driving me nuts is that nobody in the Denver area sells the Balance Oiled so I can't see them in person.

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #48
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
Any good online retailers that sell the Gaerne's and have a good return policy? Would like to at least try on a pair and see how much or little protection there actually is. The Sidi's were just a smidge tight, as I walked around in them they got more comfy (size 42, I'm a 9 US). The sole in them seemed to be very stiff and a little awkard to walk in. I can see our point about changing shoes when you get somewhere. Now you got me leaning towards the Gaernes!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #49
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golevi View Post
MotoGear Outlet sells them and plus, they are some great guys to deal with...
I'll check it out.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #50
Golevi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
I'll check it out.
I was in there last weekend and tried a pair on... Nice boots...

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #51
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golevi View Post
I was in there last weekend and tried a pair on... Nice boots...
Forgot all about that place! Huge thanks, I'll have to check them out this weekend.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #52
stilldointime
Fast and Loose

Oddometer: 42
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo View Post
I find ALL boost are hot when its hot out.

Good find. I will look into it...
Yes.....my forgotten neighbor to the north. The way I understand it, is that you have never worn these "boost"......just seened dim on the interweb......eh? Thanks for the detailed and helpful review. Yet another bit of good advice from the sister.
stilldointime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #53
Shredahead
Old and in the way

Oddometer: 149
Buy the non waterproof Balance and treat it with a good wax based leather waterproofer. Way less expensive and the boot has very few seems, the leather is tanned and virtually waterproof. Ridden in the rain in them many a time, crossed creeks, always dry. Usually two coats or wax a year is enough to keep them dry plus it really protects the leather and your boots will last and last.
Shredahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #54
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshred@earthlink.net View Post
Buy the non waterproof Balance and treat it with a good wax based leather waterproofer. Way less expensive and the boot has very few seems, the leather is tanned and virtually waterproof. Ridden in the rain in them many a time, crossed creeks, always dry. Usually two coats or wax a year is enough to keep them dry plus it really protects the leather and your boots will last and last.
Are the physical characteristics of both the same? Interior size, insole, toe box, etc?
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #55
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 346
I have the Balance Oiled. Super comfortable, and look normal when pants are over them. This is actually my second pair. The first ones I bought and then immediately took a trip to Alaska. Found out pretty quick that they were less that "waterproof", but had to stick it out as there were not many options for return while on the road. When I got back from my trip I called the dealer I bought them from and told them I was pretty bummed about the boots not being waterproof. They called Gaerne and got be some new ones. Haven't had a chance to real world test the new ones, but I stood in a bathtub of water with the new ones for about 5 minutes and these seem to be waterproof. Maybe the first pair I got were just busted.

As far as protection. They really don't offer that much support. I would say if protection is a concern, but you are not totally into the Sidi's, then take a look at the Alpine Star's Scouts. We just got a pair for my wife. Totally waterproof, and more ankle protection, but not too stiff. If I was buying boots today I would probably go with the Scouts. They are about $75 cheaper, better protection, definitely waterproof.
jglow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #56
Shredahead
Old and in the way

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
Are the physical characteristics of both the same? Interior size, insole, toe box, etc?
I believe they are the exact same boot but the oilded has a waterproof membrane and the standard Balance are black only.
Shredahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #57
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,943
Different leather also. Balance Oiled has a special oil-treated leather. Pro-Tech is regular full grain.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #58
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Different leather also. Balance Oiled has a special oil-treated leather. Pro-Tech is regular full grain.

BP

Yeah, get 'em from the Bombers. Good guys to deal with...
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #59
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Finally got to try these on. Wow they are comfy! Had one Balanced oil on and one Sidi Adventure on, no comparison in comfort (at least for my feet) Sidi was crushing the top of my big toe pretty badly, next size up was really too big.

Just worried about the protection factor. To be honest the Sidi's didn't seem all that protective either, they look the part but were still easily bendable at the ankle, although the sole seemed much stiffer.

Leaning towards the Gaerne's now.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #60
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Finally got to try these on. Wow they are comfy! Had one Balanced oil on and one Sidi Adventure on, no comparison in comfort (at least for my feet) Sidi was crushing the top of my big toe pretty badly, next size up was really too big.

Just worried about the protection factor. To be honest the Sidi's didn't seem all that protective either, they look the part but were still easily bendable at the ankle, although the sole seemed much stiffer.

Leaning towards the Gaerne's now.
Bodhizafa, what did you choose?

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote