Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #76
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,151
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and I LOVE them. They are incredibly comfortable. And no, they aren't as supportive as a true motocross boot, but they are a lot more comfortable for most of the riding that I do. What the Gaerne brand offers in all their boots is a wider calf. I simply don't fit in some other manufacturers options.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #77
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots

Mine arrived a few weeks ago. Extremely comfortable from the first moment I put them on and required no break-in. I normally wear a size 9, and a size 9 in these fit perfectly. Not going to get the kind of protection from these that you would from a motocross boot, but they're a good compromise for dual sport riding if you want something you can wear all day, walk around in and forget they're riding boots. Very impressive quality also. I've put them through plenty of mud, and walked through several streams and puddles where the water was half-way up my calf and had no leaks whatsoever - 100% waterproof. In fact, they're so waterproof that after I took this pic I just hosed the mud off the boots with a garden hose while I was hosing the mud off my bike. Couldn't be happier with the boots.

A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #78
Steez
USMC Infantry

Oddometer: 203
I'm really considering this boot, but there seems to be a lack of real world photos. Can you take a few more Kobukan?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #79
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steez View Post
I'm really considering this boot, but there seems to be a lack of real world photos. Can you take a few more Kobukan?
here you go . . . .

Please keep in mind I'm not a photographer, wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for, etc.

Also, I should mention that at the time of these pics the boots have been worn for about 800 miles of riding over about a three week period on a DR350 both on & off road. And, as I mentioned before, they've been through plenty of mud and water, and so far I haven't done anything to clean them other than spray them off with a garden hose. I'm sure I really should treat them with some oil soon, but haven't yet.

A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #80
250Keith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
If I wear a size 9.5 in street shoes what size in these?
Thanks
250Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #81
Gitana
A work in progress

They don't come in half sizes. They run wide. If you buy them, I'd go with a 10 and put in an aftermarket, thicker insole. I wear an 8.5 in men's and went up to a 9. They fit well with the new insole and thicker socks.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 05-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #82
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
They don't come in half sizes. They run wide. If you buy them, I'd go with a 10 and put in an aftermarket, thicker insole. I wear an 8.5 in men's and went up to a 9. They fit well with the new insole and thicker socks.
I went the other way... I wear a 9.5 in street shoes, wide feet, and went for a 9. It's comfy, and snug- especially the ankle area. As everyone else said these boots are comfortable- I would've gone a size 10 if it was a motocross boot, but chose not to go there due to the lack of reinforcement in the ankle area. I wear these boots for dualsporting, and wanted the boot as tight as possible around the ankle, yet still comfortable.

there, confused yet?

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #83
250Keith
Adventurer

I have a narrow foot so I will go with a 9 and go from there, Thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #84
Gitana
A work in progress

I have wide feet, and big calves from years of horseback riding. These boots fit incredibly well. The Gaerne SG10's do, too, and will be my next purchase.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #85
Steez
USMC Infantry

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

I'm just not sure if the boots are for me. I LOOOOVE the looks of them, and the fact that everyone says they can be worn for years. I'm just iffy on if they are protective enough for my (lack of) skill...
Old 05-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #86
250Keith
Adventurer

Quote:
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

I'm just not sure if the boots are for me. I LOOOOVE the looks of them, and the fact that everyone says they can be worn for years. I'm just iffy on if they are protective enough for my (lack of) skill...
I want them for just DS and dirt roads not for dirt bike racing I have a pair for that, I think I will like them for walking and going to town for stuff on trips. They look great and you can walk in them, they remind me Justin ropers, I went out with allot of cow girls.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #87
Steez
USMC Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250Keith View Post
I want them for just DS and dirt roads not for dirt bike racing I have a pair for that, I think I will like them for walking and going to town for stuff on trips. They look great and you can walk in them, they remind me Justin ropers, I went out with allot of cow girls.
Yeah same here. I'll probably bite the bullet and call tomorrow to pick up a pair.

Quick question beforehand, though... Currently I just use an old pair of black leather combat boots: NOT the Combat Tourers, but rather the real, U.S. issued kind. Do you guys think the Balance will have more protection?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #88
250Keith
Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah same here. I'll probably bite the bullet and call tomorrow to pick up a pair.

Quick question beforehand, though... Currently I just use an old pair of black leather combat boots: NOT the Combat Tourers, but rather the real, U.S. issued kind. Do you guys think the Balance will have more protection?
there in between off road and old school Hi point boots.
Way more protection then standard boots.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #89
Steez
USMC Infantry

Just ordered my pair from Brian at AtomicMoto. Great guy with great prices! Now I just have to wait to get them in the mail...
Old 05-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #90
Gitana
A work in progress

Best price I was able to find was here: http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/ser...Balance/Detail
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650