User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #91
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Necro post

I know this is a couple months old but thought I'd add; just got a pair of these. Ordered the euro size that is on my running shoes. They fit perfect, very comfortable. I did add a superfeet insole, but I do that to all my shoes and boots.

Nice boot, I'm liking them quite a bit so far.
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #92
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I'm a fairly aggresive rider sometimes and these boots came into view as I was looking to upgrade equipment. I have always worn workboots. Now I am torn between the comfort of these and the support/safey of a full blown MX style boot. I have about narrowed my choices to these, Alpinestar Scouts or SIDI's any opinions.

2008 KLR650, 2003 Super Sherpa
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #93
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun View Post
I'm a fairly aggresive rider sometimes and these boots came into view as I was looking to upgrade equipment. I have always worn workboots. Now I am torn between the comfort of these and the support/safey of a full blown MX style boot. I have about narrowed my choices to these, Alpinestar Scouts or SIDI's any opinions.
Looked at the Garne's but ended up with the Alpinestar Scouts..very happy with them. Have used them for light off road duty on the KLR, trail riding on the TTR and touring on the Vstrom. Boot preformed well, was comfortable and dry in all conditions...so I can give them the nod
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #94
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,791
i love my oiled Gs... but... today they didnt repel the dark side.

crashed.

bike fell on my right foot.

didnt break my foot but it thrashed all of the tendons and ligaments
on the top of my foot. I cant walk on it. and it feels like i wont be able
to walk on it for at least 2 weeks.

photo taken just before being discharged from the ER

my Garnaes are on their second set of soles .
they have been great and they have been all over the world. but its time for something new.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #95
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Judging from what I've read on this site, these boots are awesome and comfortable for riding and walking around, but lack protection. That about right?

I'm in the market for some boots for some long trips that involve the occasional dirt riding. No real single track, but def will be getting into some rough stuff. Would these be a good choice, or should I look for something with a bit more protection?
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #96
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Boot choices

I have owned and worn out a pair of the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots, I replaced the soles once, but after the second set wore out the condition of the uppers didn't justify new uppers, and I replaced them with Alpinestars No-Stop boots.

I prefer the No-Stop boots to the Balance boots, I feel they offer a slight degree of more protection. The Gaerne boots are no doubt very comfortable, but for me the No-Stops are my choice for trials. Trials riding can be very hard on boots.

I have a pair of Alpinestars Tech 8 boots that are my choice for rugged offroad riding, what I do on my KTM 250 XCW. I have a pair of Alpinestar Tech 7 boots that are my usual choice dual-sport riding, more protection than the No-Stop, but still comfortable and walking is doable, and no toe guard clicking on the floors. I will wear my No-Stops if I know I will be on only pavement and gravel roads...nothing rough. The No-Stops are shorter than the Tech 7's and Tech 8's.

More than once I have pinched my upper foot between rocks and the bike with my Gaerne boots, and there is not much protection there, but the No-Stops don't offer much more protection in that area.

Boots, like bikes, are a compromise. Protection...Comfort...Weight, all things to consider for the intended purpose.

Steve
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #97
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
I'm looking for a second pair of boots as well and thought about the Balanced, but the lack of ankle protection concernes me...
Whats the difference between all the Alpinstars Tech8,9,10,11 etc. etc.?

I'm looking for a higher boot with a solid bit of ankle protection and still be flexible.

Any ideas?

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsAlot View Post
I have owned and worn out a pair of the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots, I replaced the soles once, but after the second set wore out the condition of the uppers didn't justify new uppers, and I replaced them with Alpinestars No-Stop boots.

I prefer the No-Stop boots to the Balance boots, I feel they offer a slight degree of more protection. The Gaerne boots are no doubt very comfortable, but for me the No-Stops are my choice for trials. Trials riding can be very hard on boots.

I have a pair of Alpinestars Tech 8 boots that are my choice for rugged offroad riding, what I do on my KTM 250 XCW. I have a pair of Alpinestar Tech 7 boots that are my usual choice dual-sport riding, more protection than the No-Stop, but still comfortable and walking is doable, and no toe guard clicking on the floors. I will wear my No-Stops if I know I will be on only pavement and gravel roads...nothing rough. The No-Stops are shorter than the Tech 7's and Tech 8's.

More than once I have pinched my upper foot between rocks and the bike with my Gaerne boots, and there is not much protection there, but the No-Stops don't offer much more protection in that area.

Boots, like bikes, are a compromise. Protection...Comfort...Weight, all things to consider for the intended purpose.

Steve
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #98
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
I'm looking for a second pair of boots as well and thought about the Balanced, but the lack of ankle protection concernes me...
Whats the difference between all the Alpinstars Tech8,9,10,11 etc. etc.?

I'm looking for a higher boot with a solid bit of ankle protection and still be flexible.

Any ideas?

D
My experience with the Alpinestars line is with the No-Stop, Tech 7, and Tech 8's.

The No-Stop is intended to be a trials boot: Grippy sole so one can walk rocky sections, flexible in the ankle for the required flexing of the foot for trials technique. It is a shorter boot than the Tech 7's and Tech 8's. It has a sole that is molded into boot, like the Tech 7. A very comfortable boot both on and off the bike. It has some padding around the ankle area which is important in trials, because you are frequently leaning from side to side on the bike and your ankle will be rubbing on the frame of the bike.

The Tech 7's are constructed similarly to the No-Stops, with a sole molded into the rest of the boot, and no steel toe plate. It has more plastic parts in the boot, making it tougher and more protective, and reducing the flexibility in the ankle area, thus increasing protection. I think the Tech 7's make a very good dual sport boot if you are looking for greater protection than typically lighter dual sport boots. They may be less flexible than many people like, but that is the price you pay, IMHO.

The Tech 8's are a premium offroad boot, at a premium price. It is heavier than the Tech 7's and I feel adds greater protection. It has a more traditional sewn on sole which is replaceable, with a steel toe guard. The Tech 8's also have a removable booty which is comfortable, but makes putting the boots on a little more involved, as you have to hold a strap on the back of the booty as you slide your foot in. I love my Tech 8's for serious offroad riding, but they are a little much for me while dual sporting, and the soles aren't great for walking.

This is my experience, hope it helps.

Steve
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #99
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Skip trials boots if you want protection for something other than trials riding. The no-stops are more protective than the Garnes, but not by a huge amount and no where near the level of protection you get from a MX boot.

The Tech series are all pretty good and they tend to get better and more $$ as the numbers get larger. I wore a pair of tech 8s for a long time, then wore a pair of tech 10s and now am wearing AXO Primes. All good boots, the primes are a bit bulky and hard to walk in, but have awesome protection. The tech 10s have a really nice balance of comfort/flexibly and protection imo and the 8s aren't bad at all either, but the soles are a bit soft for me for MX.

I really like my no-stops and also think the balance oiled boots are really good for their intended application - and that is carefully maneuvering around at 5mph on a 150lbs bike. Not bombing around at 60+ mph on a 300lbs dual sport.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #100
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Thats good stuff....

So what would be a good boot for bombing around on a adventure type bike that is heavier?
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #101
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
i love my oiled Gs... but... today they didnt repel the dark side.

crashed.

bike fell on my right foot.

didnt break my foot but it thrashed all of the tendons and ligaments
on the top of my foot. I cant walk on it. and it feels like i wont be able
to walk on it for at least 2 weeks.

photo taken just before being discharged from the ER

Damn. That's enough for me! Sidi Adventure it is!
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #102
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,529
Deal

http://www.extremesupply.com/Merchan...LANCEOILEDBOOT

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #103
AgentX
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Considering some of these boots for general riding in India, "street" being chunked-up pavement and sometimes dirt. Going on some longer rides soon and need something to deal with rain and water crossings. These sound perfect and actually cheaper than the Combat Touring boots...

However, I'm a 10.5/44 in most shoes, normal-width foot. Can't decide whether to order the 10/43 or 11/44. I hate loose shoes and needing to layer insoles and thick socks just to make a shoe fit right. Roomy toebox doesn't bother me if the shoe actually fits around my foot and doesn't slip, though. Suggestions from the riders wearing them??

Returning/exchanging, while possible, is kind of a pain from where I am. (Employer provides US mail forwarding at a reasonable pace, but returning can be a chafe.) Maybe I should order both and just return the one which doesn't fit; it will get back there eventually, but I'll need to check on return timeframe policies from wherever I order.

(Thanks for the coupon tip, too, Catalina!)
AgentX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #104
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I ordered a pair of the Balance from Brian at Atomic Moto. I was reluctant to go with a pure MX boot, but needed more support and protection than the Styl-Martin road boots offered. When I got them I tried them on- they fit great. Quality is top notch, but given my bad ankles I thought they didn’t offer sufficient support. I returned them for the Gaerne GX-1 MX boot. They are almost as comfortable and they broke in pretty quickly. Unless you’re going to do some major time walking around they should fit your needs as well as some of the other MX boots.
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #105
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,529
The size conversion charts aren't very accurate, my boots are labeled US11/EU46 and fit true to size.
The the fit is the same as my Sidi boots that are labled EU46. I would call and confirm the sizes on the box.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote