ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
heymagic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Wild West RallyMoto

Hi guys, early heads up. Wild West Rally, 9/24-9/26, Pomeroy Washington will be a NASA RallySport event with RallyMoto.

Early entry should be $200 and standard $250.

DOT helemts with an integral chin bar will be allowed if they pass tech. No riveted chin guards.

Pomeroy has smooth roads, a very centralized route and service. It is very bike friendly. More news in a week or so. We look forward to seeing you there.

Gene McCullough
WW Chief Scrutineer
heymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Hi Gene, I'll be back! This is a great event with fast roads, great food, and great people! When will the website be updated? If you've never tried an off road rally, but like to go fast safely on gravel roads, you need to enter the Wild West RallyMoto!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
heymagic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I was hoping you and that Honda would show up! I'm sure the KTM are hoping you don't...(we can do a little trash talk while we're at it)
heymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Bump for high speed fun and updated site:

http://wildwestrally.org/index.html

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Bump for high speed fun. Pre-entry is open through 9-1-10.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
JeffPrice
Primitive CoDriver

Oddometer: 113
To the top for an early entry reminder - sign up is on line. Postmark the entry fee.

www.wildwestrally.org

If you're undecided - sign up and figure it out after a bit [but give it a go - really!]; cancellation is usually fully refunded up to a date and then no more than $50 forfeited closer to the event [supps usually cover this but they seem to be missing so far...]. Pomeroy is bike friendly racing; night stages this year; camping if you want to keep $$'s lower.

More bikes are needed to keep RallyMoto on the west coast. If you are new and think that is holding you back - contact me; if you're in the portland area I can help you answer some questions maybe. What I really know about bikes specific you can put on the end of foot peg [about the same as cages!] but I can get the idea of rally across and I do know not a bike has been unhappy when they have attended.

Cheers and maybe we'll see you on the stages!

See ya there Petey, Andrew and Dennis! What's Jerry up to?

If you woke up this morning, it is because Jack Bauer spared your life.

get-primitive
JeffPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
This looks like too much fun. The gears in my head are starting to turn and I just may try to make this event. Last time I did competitive racing was with gearbox karts in 2000. With four motorally entries last year at this event, it looks like this could be treated a little more like a ride than a race.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Nut Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Do it, Steve, it's a blast! The tiime keeping and navigation is easy and we all help each other. The timed stages are just flat out fire roading, except with out the danger of oncoming vehicles. The people running the thing are great and glad to have the bikes there. There is even free food on Friday night!

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 09-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
Do you need a route book holder for this rally?

Just curious what gearing and tank your using on the xr650r for the race? Is fuel an issue?
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

They do give out a roll chart, but it's only useful for the transit stages between the timed stages and you could probably do w/o and just follow another bike? On the timed stages you just follow the arrows on the course.

I'm running 15/45 on the XRR and you probably want to be geared for speed. I was pinned at nearly 100mph several times for a good distance. Fuel shouldn't be an issue, as there are regular "service breaks". I think the farthest between service is less than 60 miles? The stage schedule is now posted at the site. It gives the distances and times. There are two night stages, so you will want good lights. I picked up some cheap mini driving lights on ebay that I am installing on the XRR. Last year I had the stock 35w headlight!?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95
Do it, Steve, it's a blast! The tiime keeping and navigation is easy and we all help each other. The timed stages are just flat out fire roading, except with out the danger of oncoming vehicles. The people running the thing are great and glad to have the bikes there. There is even free food on Friday night!
So, shame on me for not registering for the rally; I was quietly making preparations to participate. Ordering better safety gear, planning some upgraded illumination, fresh tires, and other miscellaneous items. I missed the pre-registration, so I figured I could even go as far as registering on site if need be.

Unfortunately, due to lack of volunteers and participation, I just learned that they cancelled the rally yesterday. http://www.wildwestrally.org/

So, now I'm looking to the Mt Hood Rally. Am I right in thinking that with the La Nina weather pattern we have coming, this will likely be a very slippery rally with snow encounters?
Nut Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
JeffPrice
Primitive CoDriver

Thank you all

Thanks for considering RallyMoto at Wild West - like Steve posted, the rest of us competitors got official notification yesterday. Sounds like there were quite a few factors involved. Pomeroy really is a great place to rally and we'll miss it this year [some of you Walla Walla and Palouse area guys should ride out there and check it out anyway - key to the state and the blues are right up the road].

Keep it in your minds - also Mt Hood Rally is coming up October 22/23 and they could use the subscription. You can certainly sign up and pay on the day but the early registration lets the organizers know what kind of numbers they can see and keeps them motivated. They have already put out lots of effort and dollars at that point but there is a significant money outlay the last couple of weeks for them and if numbers don't look to support that hurdle....it's all volunteers and love of the sport!

Primitive won't be entering Mt Hood but I will be around volunteering - so if there is interest for some sort of rally primer, touch bases with me and we'll meet up before or after recce - just don't think you'll be cutting into my fishing time during the afternoon!

Keep asking the questions and we'll try and get some answers! See you on the gravel,

get-primitive
Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Sad to hear the Wild West was cancelled, it is a really fun rally. But pre-entry for the 10/23 Mt Hood Rally is open and the RallyMoto fee is only $150! That is very cheap for a rally, so please take advantage early, it will go up in two more steps starting 10/1. Here is the site:

www.mthoodrally.com

I also have a Powerpoint presentation on RallyMoto that I have created and would love to give somewhere? I PMed the guy who was posting some presentations at Ride West BMW, but I would be happy to show it anywhere, within reason. Motorcycle shop, club meeting, or???

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 09-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #14
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Mt Hood Rally

Are there different bike classes based on displacement at the Mt. Hood Rally? It sounds like fun though I'm sure the throttle cable on my WR250R would be stretched a bit after this event.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
JeffPrice
Primitive CoDriver

gas_pig70: Bike classes being scored per the supps at Mt Hood:

The following motorcycle classes will be scored:

Class / Displacement in cm3 / Class Rules Used

Heavy / 800 or more / Modified

Medium Modified / 400.001 to 799.999 / Modified
Medium Stock / 400.001 to 799.999 / Stock
Lite / 400 or less / Modified

Obviously based on engine size, then categorized by bike upgrades [farkle?]

More info can be found on the bike classes HERE . So far most competitors seem to think the classes work out well and big does not always have the advantage! My understanding is that they are keeping them as simple as possible.

There is another thread for the Mt Hood Rally if you want to join on that one! And don't worry about the throttle cable - you can get a new one right? What's a little stretch anyway - that's the idea!

get-primitive