Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mituk
My '96 with 36k miles also does the "skip" in 3rd gear . . . IF I engage 3rd below about 3300 rpm. If I run up to 4800 - 5000 in 2nd, then go to 3rd, it doesn't do it. Not sure why this would matter. So far I've just been very careful with 3rd gear, and spend as little time as possible there.
But, it's good to know what it will take to fix it. I'll have to pull the transmission this fall and ship it off to Anton. . . . rats . . . .
. That's exactly what mine used to do I rode "around" the problem as you described for a year and about 6000 miles but it did slowly get worse and began doing it in second gear as well. The upside was that I learned to let the bike rev and that seemed to cure the pinging problem. I can use 87 octane pump gas most of the time now, whereas when I used to lug it around at low rpm it would rattle like a can of marbles in hot weather, even on premium.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
My '96 with 36k miles also does the "skip" in 3rd gear . . . IF I engage 3rd below about 3300 rpm. If I run up to 4800 - 5000 in 2nd, then go to 3rd, it doesn't do it. Not sure why this would matter. So far I've just been very careful with 3rd gear, and spend as little time as possible there.
But, it's good to know what it will take to fix it. I'll have to pull the transmission this fall and ship it off to Anton. . . . rats . . . .
If you delay the repair, you'll have to replace more than the fork. The shift drum and sprockets will suffer damage in time. My problems developed over 20k km (~12500miles) from the first symptoms.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
waynegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I had the 3rd gear skip problem with my '96 R1100RS and shipped the transmission off to http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/index.html . Due to some problems with his machinist, it took several months, but the result was good.
waynegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
Mituk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
"If you delay the repair, you'll have to replace more than the fork. The shift drum and sprockets will suffer damage in time. My problems developed over 20k km (~12500miles) from the first symptoms."

Thanks for the clue, Switch -- I just shot Anton an email this afternoon asking that same question -- whether it would cause greater damage if I was careful about avoiding situations that cause the skip.

Not to hijack the thread, but how hard is it to tear everything off to where you can pull the transmission? I do most of my own work, but that looks like it may be a bit more involved than what I usually undertake. If it's all logical piece-by-piece, I'm thinking I might be able to handle it. Lay everything out on a big board, in order as it is taken off . . .
Let me know what you think!
'99 R1100RT
Mituk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,708
The job looks much worse that it is. Just take your time and label the nuts/bolts if you can't remember where they came from. Take pics to refer back to.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #21
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, but how hard is it to tear everything off to where you can pull the transmission? I do most of my own work, but that looks like it may be a bit more involved than what I usually undertake. If it's all logical piece-by-piece, I'm thinking I might be able to handle it. Lay everything out on a big board, in order as it is taken off . . .
Let me know what you think!
It's a bother, but can be done without immense hassle. You need the tools and the patience. ...and preferably a garage.

Once the gearbox is out, it's a snap to fix it. Well, not really, but a quick evaluation and reassembly should take under an hour.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #22
Mituk
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds good -- I'll do it. What's the worst that can happen? Wait, don't answer that . . . ! If I wind up with too many extra parts, I'll have an auction. I can pull it in the basement(walkout) and work on it in there -- at least it has a concrete floor, unlike the machine shed.
Thanks for the input!
'99 R1100RT
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #23
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,708
Quote:
Sounds good -- I'll do it. What's the worst that can happen? Wait, don't answer that . . . ! If I wind up with too many extra parts, I'll have an auction. I can pull it in the basement(walkout) and work on it in there -- at least it has a concrete floor, unlike the machine shed.
Thanks for the input!

Do you have a service manual or a parts book? Take pics so when you have a question you can post a pic.

You can do it.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #24
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker

Do you have a service manual or a parts book? Take pics so when you have a question you can post a pic.

You can do it.
I did it with the help of a few pages from the service manual. First time took a weekend and the only really tough part was getting the transmission in place by myself. Second time took only a few hours and I got someone to help me with the transmission.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #25
Mituk
Gnarly Adventurer

You guys have convinced me -- I'm going to do it. I do have a CD of the service manual, and as mentioned, will take lots of pics along the way -- if it turns out, I can post for others as a how-to, or how-not-to, depending in how it comes out!
Thanks for your help!
'99 R1100RT
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #26
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
On The Road Again

I got my GS put back together and took it for a little spin. Everything is in perfect working order, runs great, shifts smooth with no glitches at all.

This is my first BMW, never even rode one untill recently. It did disapoint me to have to put out work & cash so soon after buying it, but did not discourage me at all. I like the way it feels and I just wanted to ride it some more. WOW

It was my first time to work on a BMW also, not too bad a job, took some time and attention to detail. If you are having problems with your GS and you are mechanically inclined, go for it. Take detailed pictures, measure before you pull the gears out and keep track of your shims, it will help. I saved a lot of money by doing the job myself. I'm getting a book, going back and forth from the garage to the computer to look and read was a pain in the ass.

I'm ready to ride, I'm always ready to ride.

Let's Ride!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #27
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
That is great news, you dont sound like you wasted any time gettig the bike fixed, time to ride and enjoy it.
Stewart
Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #28
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yea, your right.

I don't like my bikes down for long and you have to stay on them or it really turns into a big PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilybimmer
That is great news, you dont sound like you wasted any time gettig the bike fixed, time to ride and enjoy it.
Stewart
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #29
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

Skipping again, thats right not happy about it but I still love the bike and love riding it. I am going to tear it down again in the near future and give it another go at it.

I have had two different BMW techs tell me to check the shifting linkage and springs. I will tear it down and see if I can find the problem myself just for grins, but I am going to bring it to one of the two techs to inspect and probably put it back together for me to make sure it is done correctly. When I tore it apart I put it back together the exact same way it came apart (shims and all). That might be part of the problem also. From what I have read it may not have been assembled corectly at the factory.

I am open for suggestions, I am also open to buy a transmission if some one has one they want to sell and is in working order to put in my bike or one for parts.

Thanks

Ridin'nFishin screwed with this post 11-15-2010 at 05:17 AM
Ridin'nFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #30
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Hmm, I would doubt an error on your part. It ran fine and shifted well, so I would think that would preclude shim misalignment. Weak springs or another issue, like a missed rounded engagement dog or whatnot seems more likely.

I have the same issue and am still trying to decide which way to jump so I have a dog in the hunt, so keep us posted.