Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #106
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,244
my 95 1100gs has been skipping in 2nd gear for 3 years at least, I can not tell that it is getting any worse.

I had thought of doing the dremel undercut deal, but may just try to find a M97 shaft instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb View Post
Very interesting link on cutting the gears with a dremel. If I got the gears out I would probably send them to someone who has cut gears before... probably not that expensive just sending the gears?

I have a question about the non-undercut gears. If the transmission is just slipping out of gear in 2nd/3rd, it seems like this is not likely to cause other problems, in and of itself. I guess the slipping could cause a little more metal to grind off into the oil, but I don't see how that's any worse than the normal act of shifting. It certainly shouldn't cause undue wear on the forks or bearings, unless they were shimmed wrong to begin with.

I guess what I'm saying is, the problems of popping out of gear seem unrelated to the catastrophic transmission failures referenced elsewhere. It seems like it should be fine to baby the transmission for a long time, at least until you have a spare set of undercut gears ready. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks for the info in this thread!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #107
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellkt View Post
I just bought a 1996 R1100GS and have the dreaded skip in 3rd gear problem. I've ordered a M97 from a 1998 R1100RT.

Is it a direct swap for the M94 that I currently have?

How many hours does it take an average person to swap the transmission?

Thanks multisurface rider for starting this thread.

Fairly easy to swap trannys. Lifting the tail is the biggest PITA of the whole job. If you have ABS, it might be just a fuzz tougher, but not much. Don't forget the two nuts underneath the battery. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

First timers will probably need three evenings to do it patiently. It will look like your bike exploded. Your chrome-polishing Harley buddies will be most impressed.

You will need a 12mm (I think) 1/2" bit to undo the pivot joints on swingarm, along with a heatgun to heat the loctite loose. You will also need a small (3/8" Inch pound) and large torque (1/2") torque wrenches- you will be doing as low as 7nm and up to 105nm (I think- double check those numbers)

Peruse a couple 'spline lube' or tranny swap threads, you'll see what's involved. It can be done by mortals.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #108
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellkt View Post
I just bought a 1996 R1100GS and have the dreaded skip in 3rd gear problem. I've ordered a M97 from a 1998 R1100RT.

Is it a direct swap for the M94 that I currently have?

How many hours does it take an average person to swap the transmission?

Thanks multisurface rider for starting this thread.

You are welcome. Take your time it can be done in a weekend with no problem.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #109
Murkidi
R1100GS adict

Oddometer: 229
">

Hello Calvin , was the noises from your tranny like this on, in case yo don see the video here are the link

http://youtu.be/Wz9f33e5Tc

regards!!!

manuel...
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #110
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Manuel,

I did not have any noises, just a 3rd gear skip.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #111
Ghiribizzo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Resurrecting and hijacking the thread... Does anyone have a transmission that's wrecked/toast that may yield a decent pair of split collets for the input shaft?
Bike is a '98 R1100R. Bearing was worn, as was the geared portion of the damping unit. Nothing as bad as the picture on largiader's website though. That's now sorted and shimmed. All new bearings on the shafts, but I need a serviceable pair of those collets...
Ghiribizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #112
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiribizzo View Post
Resurrecting and hijacking the thread... Does anyone have a transmission that's wrecked/toast that may yield a decent pair of split collets for the input shaft?
Bike is a '98 R1100R. Bearing was worn, as was the geared portion of the damping unit. Nothing as bad as the picture on largiader's website though. That's now sorted and shimmed. All new bearings on the shafts, but I need a serviceable pair of those collets...
Sup mate!

I might be able to help ya. Just let me know exactly what you need (maybe with pics). I don't know what a collet is :(

Cheers!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #113
Ghiribizzo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi switch - the two hardened semi-circular parts that retain the bearing... Rear part of the input shaft. That is, the opposite end from the splined 'driven' end of the shaft:
Ghiribizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #114
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Sadly, I don't think I have any small bits left. Mostly just cogs and shafts.

You mean something like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retaining_ring

If so, I think you're good getting a high-quality compatible part. Checking RealOEM.com for the correct specifications is useful.