Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2010, 05:45 AM   #61
Whereabouts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I find myself coming back to stare at that 1000S over and over again. Gorgeous.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #62
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,255
Thats around $4600 dollars. Would that be expensive in the States?
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #63
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts
keep your eyes off my 1000 s dude
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #64
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
Thats around $4600 dollars. Would that be expensive in the States?
I'd say that's reasonable. Not a steal and not a gouge either. (I've been passively looking for one of these too)

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-27-2010 at 05:52 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #65
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
I'd say that's reasonable. Not a steal and not a gouge either. (I've been passively looking for one of these too)
it's got 78000 km on the clock ...what do you experts think?
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #66
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts
It is gorgeous... those have always done it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10rat
it's got 78000 km on the clock ...what do you experts think?
48,466 miles... . I have owned 2004 and sold EV model Guzzis with that many miles, the fellow that now owns it has put another 40K on it so far.

Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #67
qldkiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Guzzi 1000S

Hi Rob...Is your mates Guzzi 1000S still for sale? You can email me direct on errol_allison@yahoo.com.au if he's still on the market.Cheers Errol (qldkiwi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
I had a lovely T3 Cali for sale. There were a few others for sale in the £4000 price range in similar condition but the best price I could get for mine was £2400. I've had similar issues selling other Guzzis - big prices being asked but I doubt they are selling for anywhere near the asking prices based on my experiences.

These are the Prices mine and a couple of mates Guzzis have sold for over the past couple of years.

T3 Cali - £2400
G5 - £800
Immaculate Quota - £2200
V7 with Fuel injected engine fitted - £2000
Modified T3 - No takers so broken for parts
SP 1000 - £1500

This is a mates and was up for £3000 but had no takers. The Triumph dealer, where the picture was taken, valued it at £1000 against a new Bonnie.

Quota that sold for £2200 - had been advertised at £2750.

My 2001 Cali - sold for £3000 to the only person who answered the ads. I thought I was going to have to drop much lower to move it.

I know they aren't Le Mans but it gives you an idea on the pricing.

The bike on the right was less than £2k to buy and has recently been sold on Ebay.

qldkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:24 AM   #68
AlanLeMans
n00b

Oddometer: 1
It's lemon, not a stock Le Mans

Sorry to say but there is no way that the bike on offer is "totally stock". I bought that model new in the UK and still have photos taken of it (and a much slimmer me) from that time. I also own a Le Mans 1 rebuilt by Joe Caruso, who is mentioned several times in this thread. Joe is a good friend and may be the most knowledgeable person there is on 1970's Moto Guzzis; he devotes much of his time to rebuilding them.

You should certainly listen to Joe, who will quickly tell you the anomalies with the bike of offer. Let me mention some just by looking at the photos of my original bike compared to the one for sale:
  1. The Le Mans was fitted with a single chromed mirror; this has two black ones
  2. The front forks were black, not aluminium/steel finish as the one for sale has
  3. The rear springs were chromed; the one for sale has black springs
  4. The instrument panel that I saw when looking at the seller's site is not original; the Mk1 has quite a primitive panel.
  5. The Le Mans Mk 1 had a black rim around the headlamp and black fasteners for the screen; the for sale one has a chromed rim and fasteners.
Don't get me wrong; it may be and Joe may confirm that the underlying bike is a Le Mans 1; just don't let anyone kid you that it's stock.

As for the price, that's laughable. I wouldn't mess Joe about by saying how much I paid for my rebuilt Le Mans (and that has got some more modern, "accpted" parts fitted, such as newer switches and a sump extension), but let's just say that you could buy several rebuilt Le Mans 1 for the same price as the dealer is selling that "stock bike".

Oh, and the rebuilt bike goes just like the one I bought more that 30 years ago. Beautifully.
AlanLeMans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #69
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,439
This is what you do:

1) Dissasemble bike down to the frame.

2) Box it up.

3) Send it to my house

That will make it work wonderfully.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #70
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,998
I want one....
Old 08-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #71
Pampera
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLeMans
Sorry to say but there is no way that the bike on offer is "totally stock". I bought that model new in the UK and still have photos taken of it (and a much slimmer me) from that time. I also own a Le Mans 1 rebuilt by Joe Caruso, who is mentioned several times in this thread. Joe is a good friend and may be the most knowledgeable person there is on 1970's Moto Guzzis; he devotes much of his time to rebuilding them.

You should certainly listen to Joe, who will quickly tell you the anomalies with the bike of offer. Let me mention some just by looking at the photos of my original bike compared to the one for sale:
  1. The Le Mans was fitted with a single chromed mirror; this has two black ones
  2. The front forks were black, not aluminium/steel finish as the one for sale has
  3. The rear springs were chromed; the one for sale has black springs
  4. The instrument panel that I saw when looking at the seller's site is not original; the Mk1 has quite a primitive panel.
  5. The Le Mans Mk 1 had a black rim around the headlamp and black fasteners for the screen; the for sale one has a chromed rim and fasteners.
Don't get me wrong; it may be and Joe may confirm that the underlying bike is a Le Mans 1; just don't let anyone kid you that it's stock.

As for the price, that's laughable. I wouldn't mess Joe about by saying how much I paid for my rebuilt Le Mans (and that has got some more modern, "accpted" parts fitted, such as newer switches and a sump extension), but let's just say that you could buy several rebuilt Le Mans 1 for the same price as the dealer is selling that "stock bike".

Oh, and the rebuilt bike goes just like the one I bought more that 30 years ago. Beautifully.

Just for the record: as they arrived in the crate the Le Mans Mk1 had NO MIRRORS AT ALL. In fact, I can't think of any Italian bike at the time that was supplied with mirrors as standard: not Ducati or Morini for sure. Some dealers may have fitted accessory mirrors to bikes before customers picked them up. I believe there were variations in detailing like headlamp rims, fork leg finish, springs etc too as different batches of Mk 1 Le Mans arrived.

We used to suggest to buyers that they fitted Kawasaki Z900/1000 mirrors to the Le Mans, as they were black and matched nicely with the black exhausts (which every UK Le Mans I ever saw had as standard) at a time when most bikes had lots of chrome brightwork.

When buying Le Mans Mk 1 it is important to remember that there were 2 versions (series 1, series 2, with the most readily visible difference being the rear lamp and mudguard: something which even Mick Walker gets confused about in his book. If you take the Mick Walker book as gospel then all series 2 machines are 'fakes' - although of course they are not) and probably individual variations within series.

However, there are a lot of fake Le Mans Mk 1s about. Even a well-known actor, who has come a 'Long Way' since then, was proudly pictured in MCN on a T3 with some Le Mans bodywork many years ago.
Pampera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #72
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampera
Just for the record: as they arrived in the crate the Le Mans Mk1 had NO MIRRORS AT ALL. In fact, I can't think of any Italian bike at the time that was supplied with mirrors as standard: not Ducati or Morini for sure. Some dealers may have fitted accessory mirrors to bikes before customers picked them up. I believe there were variations in detailing like headlamp rims, fork leg finish, springs etc too as different batches of Mk 1 Le Mans arrived.

We used to suggest to buyers that they fitted Kawasaki Z900/1000 mirrors to the Le Mans, as they were black and matched nicely with the black exhausts (which every UK Le Mans I ever saw had as standard) at a time when most bikes had lots of chrome brightwork.

When buying Le Mans Mk 1 it is important to remember that there were 2 versions (series 1, series 2, with the most readily visible difference being the rear lamp and mudguard: something which even Mick Walker gets confused about in his book. If you take the Mick Walker book as gospel then all series 2 machines are 'fakes' - although of course they are not) and probably individual variations within series.

However, there are a lot of fake Le Mans Mk 1s about. Even a well-known actor, who has come a 'Long Way' since then, was proudly pictured in MCN on a T3 with some Le Mans bodywork many years ago.
There were genuine Le Mans 850s that came with chrome clip-ons and headlamp ears, and some with black, and even the blue bike in the Guzzi brochure had silver-painted fork leg lowers.

I have never seen one with a chrome headlamp ring, however, my US-spec bike's headlamp rim (the big deep Aprilia part) was chrome under the black paint.
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #73
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
My 76 came with no mirrors. No air cleaners, velocity stacks with gravel screens, silver fork lowers, black headlight rim, satin black on top of the tank, solo seat. Other differences in the 76 are the tail light, no guards on the pedal mounts. Tighter fit of the fairing around the headlight on the early ones.

I added a Kawasaki ELR mirror and K&N filters.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #74
Pampera
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
See

http://www.northleicestermotorcycles.../stocklist.htm

LM iii with full fairing and other bits

You have to click the big guzzi button.
Pampera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #75
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,774
I had a T3 made to look like a Mk1 LeMans.

No way I'm posting pics in this crowd...

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote