Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Chaseh OP
The Last Dragon

Oddometer: 171
Zumo 550 - google maps

I heard it may be possible to plan a route on googlemaps and then upload to a Zumo 550. Can anyone confirm or deny and if possible, lend a hand?

"You know you can't bring that weak ass stuff up in this humpy bumpy" - Terry Tate, Office Linebacker.
Chaseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseh
I heard it may be possible to plan a route on googlemaps and then upload to a Zumo 550. Can anyone confirm or deny and if possible, lend a hand?
It won't support waypoints when you do it as a download, you can only get a start and end destination unless they've changed something since I last tried it.

What I found works best (for me) is to plan your route on Google Maps, then note the towns your route is taking you through. Lets say you are going from Washington DC to Columbus OH and want to do the backroads, pick the ten or so little towns along the way that get you on the backroads you want to travel (you can add more or less towns as needed) and write them down on a piece of paper. Then go to your Zumo and have it set a route from Wash DC to Columbus. Then begin adding additional waypoints in order so that all ten little towns are embedded in your route. The Zumo will re-compute the route to the towns and soon you have your route just like you want it. Save the route, and you're done. Its quicker than it sounds, I can plot and plan a route like that in ten minutes or so.

Duane C.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,381
GSpot is about the bike.. moved to the GPS forum.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseh
Yes, it's possible. That's the most frequent way I plan my routes. I really like the user interface for Google Maps.

Here are complete instructions: http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Briefly, you add a bookmark to your browser. Create your route on Google Maps and click on the bookmark. The bookmarked page converts your Google Maps route to a GPX text file, which you copy and paste (and then save) to a text editor. You can then open that route file in MapSource and transfer it to your Zumo.

Yes, it's a few button clicks, and the first few times I did it, it didn't go very smoothly, but now that I've done it and understand the procedure, I can make a route in Google Maps and have it in my GPS within a minute or two.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #5
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
Yes, it's possible. That's the most frequent way I plan my routes. I really like the user interface for Google Maps.

Here are complete instructions: http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Briefly, you add a bookmark to your browser. Create your route on Google Maps and click on the bookmark. The bookmarked page converts your Google Maps route to a GPX text file, which you copy and paste (and then save) to a text editor. You can then open that route file in MapSource and transfer it to your Zumo.

Yes, it's a few button clicks, and the first few times I did it, it didn't go very smoothly, but now that I've done it and understand the procedure, I can make a route in Google Maps and have it in my GPS within a minute or two.

Jamie
Keeper. Thanks

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Peekey
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Google Earth

I Plan all my trips on google earth buy marking a path, Then save the path as a google earth file ( KMZ) Then convert to a mapsource file (gdb) using a program which cost me $80au called GPS Utility. Works like a treat. try www.gpsu.co.uk
Peekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
oldspice1972
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Tyre is your friend. http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/

2012 BMW R1200RT
oldspice1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
CHIA
Ya, right

Oddometer: 59
Harley Ride Planner!!

This is the best route planner I have found, free, online, fast, effective.

Pick a starting position, and then add waypoints, which are transferred to the device as Garmin "via points"....love it!

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...s=0&showFuel=0
CHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIA
This is the best route planner I have found, free, online, fast, effective.

Pick a starting position, and then add waypoints, which are transferred to the device as Garmin "via points"....love it!

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...s=0&showFuel=0
I like it, thanks. I've seen this site mentioned in the past, but never really looked at it closely. I just spent a few minutes trying it out. Worked easily.

Just as you said, you can add multiple destinations and you can also drag-and-drop the route a la Google Maps. When you send the route to your GPS, those points are sent as via points.

To compare it to Google Maps plus GMaptoGPX, it's easier to use, but the routing is a bit simpler. GMaptoGPX sends not only your intermediate stops as via points, but also quite a few of the turns and intersections show up as via points, so it's more likely to follow roads which you specify.

The HD site leaves the actual route calculation between your via points up to your GPS, which may or may not follow the roads you want.

But that's a great resource. Thanks for turning me on to it.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekey
I Plan all my trips on google earth buy marking a path, Then save the path as a google earth file ( KMZ) Then convert to a mapsource file (gdb) using a program which cost me $80au called GPS Utility. Works like a treat. try www.gpsu.co.uk
save the file as a .KML file then convert it with a free program. Called gpsbabel or use gpsbabel on gpsvisulizer.
http://www.gpsbabel.org/
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
Remember its free, but if you use it often they both accept donations.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
I found this thread whilst searching for how to create routes without using the crappy Mapsource software. I found a solution that works for me using Google Maps or Earth (your choice) and the Tyre application mentioned by Oldspice, which is free.

I am not a techie, but these are the simple steps that work for me on my windows 7 PC.

Download Tyre and install it.

When you run it, it will look like this. Choose which map you want to use, Google Maps, or Google Earth. I'm going to use Google maps as it's easy for a non techie like me.

Plan your route. You just click on a spot on the map to add a waypoint or search for a location/zip/postcode etc. It's massively easier that Mapsource which is a huge application and horrible to use (I think so anyway).

Something like this.

When you have finished playing with your trip/map you need to save it. If you are going to save directly to the Zumo plug it into the PC now, with the USB cable. Or just save it to a folder on the computer. If you save it to the zumo you need remember to save it directly to the 'GPX' folder. Otherwise the Zumo will not find it when you unplug the USB cable.

When the save is finished unplug USB cable from the Zumo. It will then start-up into normal mode. Just before it starts, you will get this screen.

Yes.....

Routes....

Then the route we just created 'My Route'

Click on Import ,Then you get this....

Ok Good...

Ok. Then go to routes..

There is the route

Yep, that's the one..

I hope this saves someone some headaches and sorry if it's revived an old thread, but I couldn't find and easy answer anywhere.

Cheers.

syntec4 screwed with this post 03-11-2011 at 03:51 PM
syntec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
I just use Mpasource

BTW - the route you show on the Zumo looks different than what you planned in Google Maps...
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Nothing is as powerful as Mapsource. You just have to jump in the pool and eventually the water will warm up.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #14
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
It's even easier now. The is a "send" button in google maps and then the option to send to GPS. No more converting or using other software etc...
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #15
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962 View Post
It's even easier now. The is a "send" button in google maps and then the option to send to GPS. No more converting or using other software etc...
I tried that, but I can only do it for a destination not a route with waypoints. I could be missing something though.