Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #16
Tripper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
great report, familiar places and man and i'm glad you got some tires. what did you get? tkc80's?
Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I went with a TKC 80 on the front and went back to the Michelin T63 on the rear. After 4000 miles with great traction from mud to slab, and even rocky mountains, I decided to stay with it. Had a little problem with it at the end of my story though.

DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Wind-venture
Banned

Oddometer: 4,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWV
I went with a TKC 80 on the front and went back to the Michelin T63 on the rear. After 4000 miles with great traction from mud to slab, and even rocky mountains, I decided to stay with it. Had a little problem with it at the end of my story though.
How does that TKC ride on the front for you? I just put them on front and back and the front feels almost like a paint shaker turned on low. Get to 60 mph and it's rattling my head
Wind-venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #19
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind-venture
How does that TKC ride on the front for you? I just put them on front and back and the front feels almost like a paint shaker turned on low. Get to 60 mph and it's rattling my head
No issues with mine at around 2400 miles so far. Top speed of not much over 80, but no vibration.
Sure you didn't leave an extra bolt in there

Old 07-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Wind-venture
Banned

Quote:
No issues with mine at around 2400 miles so far. Top speed of not much over 80, but no vibration.

I had a mechanic down the road change them.
No break in period or anything? What pressure are you running?

Great pics btw, keep 'em coming... getting the jones to head out to my property
Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #21
Wind-venture
Banned

Quote:

I had a mechanic down the road change them.
No break in period or anything? What pressure are you running?

Great pics btw, keep 'em coming... getting the jones to head out to my property
Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #22
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

For the highway running I ran around 34#. Dropped some off for the off road riding, somewhere around 20.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #23
Wind-venture
Banned

I don't know what's making it rumble. Maybe it's not balanced. The wrench said he balances them by tighening the spokes but did not touch mine. Except to put the tire on. Says he chnaged it by just taking the right side loose, leaving the left side on. Sounds strange to me but i've not changed one for quite a few years... decades actually.

Did you ride back across nebraska? More pcis coming?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #24
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind-venture
Says he chnaged it by just taking the right side loose, leaving the left side on...
Did you ride back across nebraska? More pcis coming?
I don't understand how he changes a tire, or balances for that matter. The only good thing about where I got mine was they computer balanced them. The front required very little, but I have a rim lock in the back and it looks like one side of my rim in deformed with all the weight to counterbalance the rim lock.

I started across Nebraska. More pictures coming, but not tonight. I have a late meeting.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #25
Whosoever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
A rare sight...a West Virginian west of the Miss River

Hey Duck! It was great reading your RR. You my friend are a rare bird indeed. How many WV lic plates did you see once you cleared the Huntington area....my guess would be one.........yours! I have traveled to Colorado many times over the past 20 years and for reasons beyond me...nobody , but nobody in WV will travel west! Sadly, it is supposed the only place permitted to travel to is Myrtle Beach SC on the 4th of July! Ride safe my friend.
Whosoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #26
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok, I can't hang around this one area the whole time. There is still a lot to see.

But first, let's take another ride up the Million Dollar Highway.

Once again I saw this sign and this time I had to take a look.

From what I have heard and read this pass is a little rougher than some of the others and I have all my camping gear loaded on my bike, a brand new tire, and when I put the tire on, I switched my counter sprocket back up one tooth because I was planning on doing some tourist riding today. But it couldn't hurt to look.

More beautiful sights.

I love these kinds of views.

This isn't bad at all. What's the big deal?

In case you haven't noticed, I like being up on a hill, or even better a cliff and looking out over a beautiful view.

In WV I like to go up on Dolly Sods and sit out on the rocks and read on a sunny afternoon. Or any place with a view will do.

I got to this point and it looked a little tougher, so I decided to turn around. I didn't want to get over my head with my bike loaded down. According to my GPS I was within .2 miles of the pass.

Did I mention I hate to turn around... after all, it was only .2 miles?

I told you it looked rougher.

I made it more than half way up, but if you look close at the top of the picture is about a 2' rock ledge to go over. I am not sure what is beyond this.

At over 12,000 ft, after wrestling my bike up out of the rocks, carrying my pack back down the hill and getting my bike down out of there...

I decided to take a break.

I think if I unloaded, and switched my sprocket, I could probably make it up but I have to have something to come back for

So I head back out on the road to see some more sights.

Another abandoned mine.

The Durango to Silverton train.

I was talking to someone that said people were getting off the train after having gotten on in Durango in shorts and sleeveless shirts and getting off in Silverton and buying sweatshirts and caps. Good for business I guess.

They say this train is a great ride. Maybe I'll check it out next time.

Another old mine.

Notice all the RV's. They were having a wedding here today.

Another Lodge. Lots of places to stay, and property for sale if anyone is interested.

I was talking to some people where I was camping about some of the different areas and things to see. They were all Jeepers. Lots of people from Texas camping near me. I was talking to one guy that said "If you live in Texas, you will do anything to get out of the heat!"

Another couple I was talking to said they often see a small heard of sheep on the far side of Cinnamon pass. That's going in the right direction and I haven't finished that part of the Alpine Loop. I've been over Cinnamon, but turned at Animas Fork so I decided I would head that way and see if I got lucky.

More of Animas Forks. The mining ghost town.

This one is over 100 years old. It shows it's age though.

It's hard to imagine living in one of these houses at over 10,000 feet elevation, with no insulation and probably only wood heat. It talked about snow falls that built all the way to the roof. Said they would open a window and scrape off snow to melt for water. At least this was insulation

Oh yeah, when I got back here it started thundering and lightning and pouring down the rain. I liked the first day I was here when the weather was beautiful.

Ok my second crossing.

The next day I was talking to a guy that had been riding in this area for a couple days who said when he came across this pass one day earlier, there was a sheriff and some other people up here pulling a body out of a snow bank. I never did hear any more about it, but he said someone coming by where they were said whoever it was had on shorts and hiking boots. I'm glad I'm not the one that found him.

Hey, what do you know. No sheep, but as has been pointed out to me, some Elk are out.

Too bad my camera had gotten wet and the photo didn't turn out well.

I headed on out to Lake City.

Then on up to Gunnison to find the first motel with an available room to dry out and warm up. And dry out my camera.

DuckWV screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 07:48 PM
Old 07-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #27
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

I was planning a nice easy day today. Ride up through Leadville, see some sights, and end up in Rocky Mountain National Park.

I was talking to a local on a XR650L, who suggested a route to try, so I ended up going through the Taylor Park area and over Cottonwood Pass into Buena Vista, then headed north to Leadville.

This area was very different than where I came from. And the roads were not marked very well.

So I told Mr. Garmin to take me to Cottonwood Pass. He sometimes gets confused about what roads are best to take.

A little aside.

There are a lot of trees dieing in this area. Beetles and parasites are killing the evergreens all over. It really shows up when I finally get to the National Park.

A little history.

Some nice open ground with several choices of roads. I understand there is some very good riding in this area. I didn't remember reading about this before I went. I found some nice riding with Mr. Garmins help. May have to go here again sometime.

At one point I stopped and asked a camper about where I was headed. He said "that's not a road, but I think it will eventually get you there. The road is back the other way."
Oh well, Mr. Garmin says this is a short cut.

Turned out to be a great ride. Mostly four wheeler trails now, but it got me there.

Cottonwood Pass. All that and it's paved down the other side.

I guess there probably was an easier way to get here, but I still had fun.

On the way down. Did I mention i love views like this?

Lots of rafting opportunities in this area as well.

Buena Vista, I believe.

I thought this was interesting. I could have taken a stagecoach to Leadville for $14.

The Cloud City.

Always plenty of clouds anyway.

I stopped here for lunch and was looking at the map. Sometimes this is dangerous! Looks like there is a short cut heading in the direction I was going. I was enjoying the off road riding so I thought I would try it.

All this is heading out of Leadville towards Mosquito Pass.

Starts to get interesting.

All in all, it wasn't much worse than most of the other passes I had been over, but it is steeper in places.

Another beautiful area with great views.

Going up!

Mosquito Pass is higher than the other passes.

Again I was fully loaded, with the wrong gearing. It was getting over 13,000 feet high and steep. At one point I thought the DR was going to power out, but it kept climbing. Anything above 10,000 ft and I could notice a slight drop in power. But that was when I had it geared down. With the larger counter sprocket I noticed even more loss in power.
But we made it.

I'm going to try something here.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #28
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

A little panoramic shot from the top.

If you look closely on the left, yes another thunderstorm. Lightning and rain. Let's get on off the other side.
Out of time, I will have to finish the story about this pass later. It turns out I should have read the pass information posted in one of the gas stations I stopped at.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #29
MikeBike4
Hacked

Oddometer: 1,347
Thumb

Wow. What a great trip Duck! I can't wait to get together with you in WV for some riding and story tellin'. Great job on all the pics too.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #30
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
awesome man! Ya lucky ass
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote