Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #31
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWV
I went with a TKC 80 on the front and went back to the Michelin T63 on the rear. After 4000 miles with great traction from mud to slab, and even rocky mountains, I decided to stay with it. Had a little problem with it at the end of my story though.
Ive had great luck with the T-63 also,2200 miles of churning sliding in all kinds of gravel and a little pavement. Great pics and ride report! Colorado is just plain beautiful and awe inspiring. Ive been out to Crested Butte MT biking up to 12,500 ft and camping above Steamboat springs at 10,000 ft with an all night lightning/thunder storm,amazing place. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #32
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind-venture
I don't know what's making it rumble. Maybe it's not balanced. The wrench said he balances them by tighening the spokes but did not touch mine. Except to put the tire on. Says he chnaged it by just taking the right side loose, leaving the left side on. Sounds strange to me but i've not changed one for quite a few years... decades actually.

Did you ride back across nebraska? More pcis coming?
Anyone who balances a wheel by tightening or loosening spokes is to be looked at curiously for sure. Id love to see him change a tire by leaving one side on also.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #33
Wind-venture
Banned

Oddometer: 4,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Anyone who balances a wheel by tightening or loosening spokes is to be looked at curiously for sure. Id love to see him change a tire by leaving one side on also.

Says he did. Sounded starnge to me. I got almost 8,000 miles out of the kendas. The front started a starnge wear pattern. I'm hoping to get the same sort of service out of the TKCs. They look to have a perfect tread for what I want to do.
Wind-venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #34
MaverickH1
Hummer H7 Rider

Oddometer: 385
I take that back. You did everything I wanted to do while there. We basically only did some trail riding near Pikes Peak, and then got near Buena Vista, and then did Cottonwood Pass and were in the Taylor Park area for 2 days.

/le sigh.

Can you believe how many Harleys are out there, btw? How could you live in CO and not have something that could do a little dirt? It baffled me.

Kind of like here in WV, I suppose.
MaverickH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #35
Wind-venture
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickH1
I take that back. You did everything I wanted to do while there. We basically only did some trail riding near Pikes Peak, and then got near Buena Vista, and then did Cottonwood Pass and were in the Taylor Park area for 2 days.

/le sigh.

Can you believe how many Harleys are out there, btw? How could you live in CO and not have something that could do a little dirt? It baffled me.

Kind of like here in WV, I suppose.
When I was living out there I met a few people that had never been out of the front range!
Guess it's just like any other place, different strokes for different folks
Old 07-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #36
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Yeah, I have met people here in WV that have never been to Black Water Falls, or Dolly Sods, or Seneca Rocks. There are still places in WV I want to see.
I can understand living somewhere and not getting a chance to see everything. Like in Colorado, there is a lot to see. And if you have never been off the road in some of those places, you don't really know what you are missing. I would like to have a bigger bike to be able to travel on, but I know I would miss a lot from the things I couldn't get to.

There is always a compromise, but I can't imagine not having a desire to try to see things if I get the chance. I know some people that just don't like to drive, or travel at all, but I enjoy just getting out and driving and riding is even better.

I will try to finish this up tonight. Hopefully.

DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #37
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Nice report, that is a great area to be in. You could spend a life time in just the san juans alone.

I believe your pic here, where you mention the sheep, is not accurate.

Those are Elk.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #38
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
DuckW, What days were you in the sil-Durango area? We were in Silverton
from 7-2, thru 7-10. then in Taylor Park 7-10 thru 7-16. We may have crossed paths...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #39
Wind-venture
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWV
Yeah, I have met people here in WV that have never been to Black Water Falls, or Dolly Sods, or Seneca Rocks. There are still places in WV I want to see.
I can understand living somewhere and not getting a chance to see everything. Like in Colorado, there is a lot to see. And if you have never been off the road in some of those places, you don't really know what you are missing. I would like to have a bigger bike to be able to travel on, but I know I would miss a lot from the things I couldn't get to.

There is always a compromise, but I can't imagine not having a desire to try to see things if I get the chance. I know some people that just don't like to drive, or travel at all, but I enjoy just getting out and driving and riding is even better.

I will try to finish this up tonight. Hopefully.
Take your time. The internet isn't going anywhere fast.
I've never been to Dolly Sods or Black Water Falls. Been past Seneca Rocks but not on motorcycle. Maybe I can get out that way soon... if I can get this front wheel straight.

Something to keep in mind is the danger of a spill off road. Always a good diea to take a riding partner or at leats tell someone where you're going. Not that I ever do. But especially in some remote places where it'd be impossible to drag yourself to safety. People die every year in Colorado because they get stranded.

You ever want to see some good places in Virginia let me know. I've covered this part where i'm at pretty good.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #40
MaverickH1
Hummer H7 Rider

Quote:
You ever want to see some good places in Virginia let me know. I've covered this part where i'm at pretty good.
Which part of VA?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #41
Wind-venture
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickH1
Which part of VA?
Northern Shenandoah valley. Shenandoah county. Have done a bit of riding down in Rockingham. Real good trails down there that i've only scratched
Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #42
MaverickH1
Hummer H7 Rider

Quote:
Northern Shenandoah valley. Shenandoah county. Have done a bit of riding down in Rockingham. Real good trails down there that i've only scratched
Hrm... I'd be up for a tour of the good riding in the area (KLR650). My brother might be as well, also on a KLR650. Which weekend would be good for you? We're in Lynchburg.

This weekend is no good for me (friend's wedding). Next?

PM if you want. We've hijacked this thread enough Sorry, Duck.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #43
Wind-venture
Banned

My weekends are flexible. Depends on if someone needs service that weekend. I'm in the satellite tv and internet business.

Duck will be back. Can just keep the thread alive untill then.

Would you be riding up or want to camp? Just let me know and we'll work something out. How technical do you want to get?

Wind-venture screwed with this post 07-22-2010 at 12:30 PM
Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #44
Wind-venture
Banned

Sorry, thought I had discovered how to post pictures from my files... will work on it
Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #45
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzrider
DuckW, What days were you in the sil-Durango area? We were in Silverton
from 7-2, thru 7-10. then in Taylor Park 7-10 thru 7-16. We may have crossed paths...
I got into Ridgeway on 7/5 and rode to Cortez on 7/7. Went back to Silverton on 7/8 and left on 7/10. Rode through the Taylor Park area on 7/11, but didn't stay.

DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote