Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #46
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind-venture
Something to keep in mind is the danger of a spill off road. Always a good diea to take a riding partner or at leats tell someone where you're going. Not that I ever do. But especially in some remote places where it'd be impossible to drag yourself to safety. People die every year in Colorado because they get stranded.
I think of that occasionally. Sometimes it would be nice to have someone along (even just to laugh at ). My next post will describe one of those times. Sometimes I also like riding alone. No one else to think about, or wonder where they went, or are you riding too slow, etc...

Quote:
You ever want to see some good places in Virginia let me know. I've covered this part where i'm at pretty good.
I might have to take you up on this. I'm always interested in seeing new places.

DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #47
Wind-venture
Banned

Oddometer: 4,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWV
I think of that occasionally. Sometimes it would be nice to have someone along (even just to laugh at ). My next post will describe one of those times. Sometimes I also like riding alone. No one else to think about, or wonder where they went, or are you riding too slow, etc...
Yeah, sometimes it's nice just to get out and twist the throttle, letting it take you were it will

Quote:
I might have to take you up on this. I'm always interested in seeing new places.
Just let me know when. I can usually find some time
Wind-venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #48
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Great report. Maybe post up a map with your general route. It would take me forever to try and piece together everywhere you've been. I'll be in Colorado in August, and it's reports like this that get me going.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #49
Wind-venture
Banned

I migth be out there by then. Are you going to be wearing the pink bunny outfit?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #50
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

So I left off on the top of Mosquito Pass at 13,185 feet. With a thunderstorm heading my way, and because of the warnings I have read about, I wanted off the mountain. I never had any interest in being a lightning rod.

So I headed down the back side. Got less than a half mile and found this.

Now this is one of those times when it would have been nice to have someone else along. With someone to help, I would probably have unloaded and tried to walk the bike across. By myself I decided not to try it. I hadn't seen any other vehicles on the road on the way up, so I couldn't count on any help. I walked over it and on the lower side someone had tried to cross in a jeep and probably made it 10' and buried up to their hood. I was sinking in walking across so didn't want to sink the bike with no way to pull it out.

The storm is still coming so I head back over the pass.

Got in a little too much of a hurry.

The bike is top heavy with that big pack on it. It was hard to pick the bike up out of the rocks at 12,000. It's even harder at 13,000. Guess I need to do a little

There were some other roads up there and there may have been another way off that side, but I wanted to get out of the rain, so I backtracked to Leadville and took the long way around.
I head up 91 to 70. I passed one of the few mines I saw still working.

There was this little park across the road from it. The environmentalists had them cleaning up their act. They were doing some reclamation in a nearby field.

The field was looking better than some of the pictures that were on markers nearby, but still looked kind of rough. These markers were also nearby talking about what used to be.

I started east on 70 and hit heavy cold rain. No place to stop and put on rain gear, so I was getting soaked.
Turned north on 40.

One more little pass.

More of this around.

More nice roads and beautiful views. Wish it was warmer.

It was still early, but I was cold and wet so I spent the night in Granby in a motel. Nice and warm.

Next a little trouble, then let's see some wildlife.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #51
Wind-venture
Banned

Sweet. Glad you didn't get hurt on your fall.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #52
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

OK, now for a day in the park.

This is a beautiful park.

No doubt, thanks to our stimulus money they were working on the road. A fairly long road to get through the park, with much of it above 11,000 ft. There was about a 30 mile an hour wind up on top. When I was stopped waiting on traffic, I ended up putting my kick stand down to keep the wind from pushing me around.

I saw this little fella on the way in.

More beautiful views.

While sitting in traffic.

I headed over to the east side of the park to get a camp site. They fill up fast. When I got to the Aspenglen campground they had one site left for one night. That was enough for me. I was planning on heading home sometime the next day.

I paid for my campsite and turned the key to move in and nothing happened

I tried several things, but I had no power to anything, so I coasted to a wide spot and started taking things apart. I started with the headlight and cover and tested at the switch and had no power. So I moved on to the seat, checked the battery, etc and everything looked good there. Moved on to the tank and unplugged the first connector off the switch and tested it there and had power. Plugged it back in and everything worked fine.
I didn't get a picture of the DR stripping in the park, but she looked a little sad.

The campground hosts were great people. A retired couple from Virginia that go out there every year for the last five and spend their summer working in the campground. They live in this great looking '83 bluebird.

They helped me haul my stuff to my campsite so I could unpack things and sort through without having to do it sitting behind the road. We spent some time that evening talking around the campfire. One of the best things about camping instead of staying in motels, is meeting the other people camping and sharing stories over the fire.

This was the view from my campsite.

Back to the park.

I decided I would head up the "Old fall river road". It was the original road through the park, built in the early thirties. They say that when it opened some of the automobiles of the day had to back up portions of it because they didn't have enough power to pull the hills forward.

There were some nice falls along the road, Chasm Falls I believe they were called, but I couldn't get a good photo. I think I needed to walk farther down the path for that, but I was interested in going up.

That's the road switching back at the top of this bank.

I guess they cut the slope a little tight.

Another little waterfall.

Got to meet this gal on the way up.

No sign of Bullwinkle though.

Pose for the camera.

Hey, I can almost see the top. I recognize it by the snow .

Then things got interesting. I came around a switchback and there were people in the road, then I saw this.

I decided I better get a few photos before they took off.

Turns out they weren't going very far.

They just kept easing down towards the road.

They weren't too interested in us.

There must have been 8 or 10 of them.

This was my favorite.

Some of them seemed to get annoyed that we were there.

Turns out there was water below us and they just stood and looked at us until we moved up some then they started across.

This was pretty cool. I had wanted to see some elk, but never dreamed I could walk between them.

Today was a fun day in the park.

Bed time.

He just walked down there, got a drink, then laid down. He wasn't too worried about spectators.

This made my day. I went on to tour more of the park, but it would have taken a lot to top this.
Up on top I ran into this one. She was on a hiking trail and didn't want to get off.

I got caught up in traffic on the main road again so I decided I would take a little hike.

I didn't walk this one, but there are tons of hiking trails in the park. You could easily spend a week here and not see but a small part of it. Almost 266,000 acres to cover.

When I got back down off the mountain I found out there had been big horn sheep down to Sheep Lakes, but they had headed back up the mountain an hour and a half before I got there.

Oh well, I still need an excuse to come back.

I had a fun day in the park. Tomorrow I have to pack up and head east again .

Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #53
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,125
Great RR!

Wow - I have really enjoyed reading your ride report and seeing the photos of the awesome scenery and FUN roads you have been riding on. Yeehaw! I grew up in WY and over the years I have spent a lot of time recreating in the Rockies, on foot, not on my bike, but now I'm even more excited about riding my motorcycle on some of these roads some year. And if I ever decide to move back down to the Lower 48, I know I'll have fun in the Western states as there are lots more dirt roads to ride on than where I'm currently living.

Of course I like your bike! You have great taste in motorcycles. It looks like you have the stock gas tank (?) and didn't carry extra gas. I take it you didn't have any problems running out of gas during your travels in the mountains? I had to buy a bigger gas tank to go on the rides I've done up here as sometimes you have to ride more than 230 miles between gas stations. What tires did you use? I have been using TKC80s but the rear tire sure wears out quickly.

I hope you have a safe journey home.
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #54
SteveinCO
Bocephus

Oddometer: 5
Loved it

Great info and photo tour. Thanks for taking the time to put all this up for us to enjoy. You are a brave man riding those bald tires. If I ever see a WV license plate up there I'll stop you and say hello as I feel pretty confident it will be you. GREAT JOB!

We are doing the same basic trip August 12th. Telluride, Ouray, Lake City, etc...

FYI-The Sheep you mentioned on the earlier page are actually elk too.
SteveinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #55
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 996
This is what the drift on Mosquito Pass looked like on 7/18/2010 after some Jeeps busted it out. We still had to push my KLR through.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #56
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives

Of course I like your bike! You have great taste in motorcycles.
Couldn't help it, I fell in love with the purple frame

Quote:
It looks like you have the stock gas tank (?) and didn't carry extra gas. I take it you didn't have any problems running out of gas during your travels in the mountains?
I did carry two MSR bottles, but only used them once. There were gas stations often enough, it's just they are never the right distance apart. Too often I filled up after 80 to 100 miles.

Quote:
What tires did you use? I have been using TKC80s but the rear tire sure wears out quickly.
I ran Michelin T63 on the rear. I got around 4000 miles out of the first one. I had a loaner on the front for the first half of the trip. Put a TKC80 on for the last 2400 miles or so to see how it would do.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #57
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinCO
FYI-The Sheep you mentioned on the earlier page are actually elk too.
They were a ways away and it was still raining. I didn't stick around. Guess I didn't look that close
Thanks for catching it.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #58
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes
This is what the drift on Mosquito Pass looked like on 7/18/2010 after some Jeeps busted it out. We still had to push my KLR through.

Great photo. I knew it was deeper than it looked. Glad I didn't try it.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #59
Truck115
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Awesome report there DuckWV. Really enjoyed the pics. it was like a good book you couldn't stop reading. Hope you get a chance to do another big ride so we have another good RR.
Truck115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:47 AM   #60
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Nice RR and Pics. You've got me wanting to go back out west.

BTW, did you ride your DR all the way back to WV? and if so, how was that part of the ride?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote