ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
brownie2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Who's riding TET first?

Not sure where to post this question but who's it gonna be?
I Know the southern portion is ready to ride thanks to NorthernTraveler.
I'd love to know some details about the route as in ride reports, total miles, duration of trip, etc.
If anyones planning on going for it I'll offer support near Hiawassee, GA.
brownie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
moterbiker has headed out for some of the Northeast sections of it. He has a RR started here.

I rode about a half day of the North end of Tets a few weeks ago. I completed a connector to the Twvt that same day. There is a day trip report here.

I don't know of anyone running the Southern section yet.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Text description of TET-S

Well, I'm on the road again and don't have a smugmug account to post pictures (which I don't have with me anyways), so I'll do the best I can.

Florida..... starts out (from south to north) with sand and bogs.... riding by, not riding in! One lane grate bridges over bayou type rivers, banked up sand roads so the water doesn't get too deep, followed by wider (and faster) dirt roads that are sometimes rutted. Swamp shacks and backwoods spreads, cypress woods... as you go farther north you get some farm land, open fields, irrigation systems, buffalo, mixed with an old lane draped with Spanish moss! Wide sandy roads, begging to be ridden fast - but take your time to savor the sights.... such as a fox dozing in the middle of the road!

Alabama.... starts off with wide sandy lanes through flat farm land, transitioning to open rolling hills with stands of trees. Nice views....still wide roads, some paved, some dirt..... then it starts to get ugly..... the roads get narrower, rougher, tighter turns, down in the trees - no views, up and down, around and around.... the abodes become shacks, some abandoned and overgrown, some collections of STUFF that goes 'way back! Crosses on trees to remember those who failed to make it through.... rickety bridges, rougher roads.... deep and dark in the woods. Finally it opens up, an interim of farms, a creek crossing, some paved roads, rising through the hills in a freshly logged area... and finally a paved skyline ride along the ridges! Then back to the forest, but no houses, wide fast smooth roads snaking through the forest - don't miss the old fire tower! - nice views through the trees in the hills, a quick dash of pavement around a campground.

Did a long write up earlier today describing the route all the way up to West Virginia and then lost it when my login timed out. Will redo it when I have time again.... rest stop is over and back on the road tomorrow for several days......

NorthernTraveler screwed with this post 07-19-2010 at 11:51 PM
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
I've got 2-3 days coming up--the 21-23 August timeframe looking to get as far as I can--just throwing it out there.

Starting on the connector to the TWVT somewhere southwest of Frenchtown, NJ and continuing southwest.

It's just a mustard seed right now...we'll see. That strike anyone's fancy?
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill

Starting on the connector to the TWVT somewhere southwest of Frenchtown, NJ and continuing southwest.
Are you riding the TPAT from frenchtown or making a new route?

Edit: PM me an email address and I will send you something to ride out of Hancock into PA.
Note: Some times it takes me a couple days to see that I have a PM :(
Old 08-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
Are you riding the TPAT from frenchtown or making a new route?

Edit: PM me an email address and I will send you something to ride out of Hancock into PA.
Note: Some times it takes me a couple days to see that I have a PM :(
Pm'd ya

Riding it from Freetown most likely...bike is loaded and I'll be home to collect it in two weeks to head out.

Still not sure...I need a purpose

MoBill screwed with this post 08-07-2010 at 05:18 PM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
Digging up an old thread rather than starting new...

A few of us are looking at Riding the FL-AL-GA sections this fall. Not sure how far we'll go into GA before we head for the houses.

Just wondering how much time we should allot to get from the start in Forlida to a random point In North GA (Suches, GA/Flatland Road area, probably). Is this a 2 day trip or more like 3 or more? We did the TN-MS-AR sections for the TA last year and averaged about 200 miles per day, so I was using this to gauge about 2 1/2 days.

I'm on a KLR, so it all looks doable. How about on a Wee-Strom/V-Strom or a big BMW GS bike?

Just got the Routes this morning and I wanna go now!!!
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Starting at southern end...

The sections are about 100 miles each.... so it's roughly 600 miles to I75 south of Chattanooga. A long 3 days.

It's do able by any of those bikes, the first big bike bypass isn't until Wolf Pen gap. But they have to be comfortable on sand, dirt, and hard pack!

I'm not saying it'll be easy - there are places where you'll have to work at it - but you will see everything from sandy two tracks to paved scenic highways to rough hard clay Alabama roads.

Florida is sandy, relatively flat and easy.

Alabama starts off sandy and easy, gets rough and angry for awhile, then turns into tranquil smooth running.

If you would, please let me know the status of the bridge over Juniper creek about 25 miles from the start. I've given up on calling the USFS there as they have never returned my 3 calls asking about it's status.

I also just noticed that I have too many points on some of the tracks... make sure you filter them to 500 points or less.

NorthernTraveler screwed with this post 09-01-2010 at 02:24 PM
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
The sections are about 100 miles each.... so it's roughly 600 miles to I75 south of Chattanooga. A long 3 days.

It's do able by any of those bikes, the first big bike bypass isn't until Wolf Pen gap. But they have to be comfortable on sand, dirt, and hard pack!

I'm not saying it'll be easy - there are places where you'll have to work at it - but you will see everything from sandy two tracks to paved scenic highways to rough hard clay Alabama roads.

Florida is sandy, relatively flat and easy.

Alabama starts off sandy and easy, gets rough and angry for awhile, then turns into tranquil smooth running.

If you would, please let me know the status of the bridge over Juniper creek about 25 miles from the start. I've given up on calling the USFS there as they have never returned my 3 calls asking about it's status.

I also just noticed that I have too many points on some of the tracks... make sure you filter them to 500 points or less.
Thanks for the Info. We're probably not going until October-ish but we'll update on any thing closed or if the bridge is reopened. 2 of the guys (a VStrom and a GS) are on the TAT in Colorado heading East... just got a picture from them at Cinnamon Pass. Bluelghtng and GypsyAngel are heading to Wisconsin, so we'll let them recuperate before this. Pretty sure all of us have ridden the areas around Wolf Pen Gap.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,079
In May I'm going from MA to NC on the TET . Working on the route now. I have 2 other riders starting with me for the first week.

Any info on the route would be great
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinalcracker View Post
In May I'm going from MA to NC on the TET . Working on the route now. I have 2 other riders starting with me for the first week.

Any info on the route would be great
I rode from PA to Miami along the TET(S) this past October.
Have been so busy I have't been able to get around to doing a ride report yet...

Ended up having to do it faster than planned, due to running from the hurricane that hit the east coast.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Hoping to actually get a RR up soon... just had my hands very full with life and work after taking a month off.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote