Now THIS is a Serious Farm Tractor ladies & Germs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #152
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Land: Your younger, but does your back bother you at all sleeping in the hammock, it looks like the curvature would bother me the next day.
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #153
Django
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo in sc
Land: Your younger, but does your back bother you at all sleeping in the hammock, it looks like the curvature would bother me the next day.
I agree. Hammock looks like a great idea. Small, easy to pack and so on. But being a life long side sleeper, I'd think all that sleeping on my back would kill me the next day.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #154
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 890
Imagine being a stomach sleeper.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #155
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
LOL
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #156
Land OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo in sc
Howard, I'm not that much younger than you. And I have a certified bad back. Back surgery in Dec. '07. (I almost died! Not from the surgery, but beause I was under doctor's orders not to ride for SIX weeks. )

It was my back issues that brought me to hammock camping in the first place. It is the incredible, unbelievably restful sleep that I get in my hammock that keeps me hangin'. I sleep better in my hammock than I do in a bed, and I feel better in the morning.

This was my first trip using a hammock instead of a tent. If I can help it, I won't be sleeping on the ground again when I am on a solo trip. I will also be sleeping in my hammock in my back yard some while I am home, too.

As for the curvature of the hammock, I used to think the same thing. What you do, I have learned and have now practiced, is sleep on the diagonal -- you and the hammock make an X, kinda.

Think about holding a hotdog in your palm. You're the hotdog and your hand is the hammock. The hammock suspension lines run from your pinky and thumb to the trees, hotdog. It makes for a pretty flat sleeping position, and it is immensely comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by django
I agree. Hammock looks like a great idea. Small, easy to pack and so on. But being a life long side sleeper, I'd think all that sleeping on my back would kill me the next day.
I, too, am a lifelong side sleeper, Todd. On a bed, I sleep on my side in a semi-fetal position. I can do that in a hammock, too. I find myself sleeping on my back in the hammock, sometimes, too. Either way is much more comfy than a bed for me.

As for the size of the hammock: There are some packing advantages -- no poles -- but you will need some kind of insulation under about 70 degrees F. (I know what you're thinking, and I was skeptical, too, but you'll need it. It's the same concept as "bridge ices before road." ) That means either a pad like you probably use under your bag in your tent or an underquilt. You can see my black 3/4-length underquilt under my green hammock in many of the hammock pictures, like this'n:

I also carried a sleeping bag on this trip to use inside the hammock as a "topquilt." (I saw temps in the low 40s at night in Colorado. Last year in Wyoming outside Yellowstone -- when I was still using a tent -- it got down to 32 at night. That was early August. )

Anyway, it does pack a little easier than a tent, but there is still quite a bit of bulk to pack with all of the components. My two-person Vaude Hogan Ultralight backpaking tent may take up less total room, but ...

Goosedown underquilts and topquilts help in the packing department, of course. My underquilt has a synthetic fill, but maybe Santa will decide that I've been a good boy this year.

Oh, and that bridge-ices-before-road effect also means that you can sleep a little cooler in a hammock than in a tent when the weather is hot.

Quote:
Quote:
LOL
Imagine lying facedown on a cloud strong enough to support your weight.

Get on the diagonal, roll over on that tummy and sleep in bliss.

Some stomach sleepers do like to use what is known as a bridge hammock, I think. You can do a search, or check out the info overon Hammockforums.net.

I'll bring my hammock rig to dinner in a couple of weeks to show it to y'all, if you like. If we can find a couple of suitable trees in downtown Grrrrrrrrrrr, y'all can try it out.

All th'best,
Chris

Oh, and stay tuned! This ride report has a few more days and hundreds and hundreds of miles to go.
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #157
sandmar
llama llama..rabbit

Oddometer: 3,309
sandmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #158
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
As usual, I'm late for the party. Just finished catching up and I'll be watching the remainder unfold.

Awesome pics, great report, Chris.

Epic ride. You're a very lucky man. Most of all, you are a very wise man for making this happen.

Thanks for taking us along.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #159
Land OP
Wanderer

So I woke up Wednesday, July 28 in a little mom-n-pop motel in Jordan, MT, on MT 200. I updated this thread and checked out a little before the 11 A.M. deadline.

Montana 200 is long and straight.

Really, really straight!

For the first time, I did "The Peach."
(I've had a fondness for the DarthPeach since she posted up something about "cool people" being on the road in my ride report on my 30-day trip in '08. )

I had lunch in Circle, MT, where this Jeep was parked at the feed store across from the restaurant. It's a fairly late model -- I think a YJ Wrangler -- with sheetmetal from a flatfender. 2A or 3A? I'm a little foggy on the differences right now since I haven't studied them in a while, but I think that it's 3A sheetmetal.

'48, '49 or '50 Ford

Remember that sign from the sporting goods/liquor store in Oregon? There's someone with a similar business model in Montana.

I made a fuel stop in Wibaux, MT, and rode around the town a bit. I was almost to the MT/ND line by this point. A roadside sign in Wibaux made the point that it is about as far across Montana as the distance from New York to Chicago. Having ridden the state from Idaho to North Dakota, I can tell you that it is a looooooong way.

If my three brothers and I ever get into cattle ranching together, this could be our brand.

Someone has a sense of humor.

For some reason, I felt a desire to visit the ranch where they use this brand.

This car from the Montana centennial train is in Wibaux.

I was at 7500 miles and a little change on the trip at that point.

Ii took a look at the rear Tourance, which was brand-spankin' new -- not even scuffed in -- when I headed out of my driveway a little over a month before.

Those straight western roads and being (over)loaded were taking a heavy toll. I typically get 10,000-12,000 out of a rear Tourance -- a lot of that loaded for camping -- but I do a lot of curve riding, usually. With the route I was plannning, it was about 2500 more miles home. I'd need to keep an eye on that tire.

I left Wibaux and headed east for North Dakota. I had never been in either of the Dakotas before this trip.

I stopped at Theodore Roosevelt National Park in the afternoon and contemplated calling it a day, but they don't allow hammocks in the campground. Hey, National Park Service: and for that.

I hit the road ...

(Anybody know what kind of bird this is? Falcon?)

and ended up in a Lions Club park in Bowman, ND.

The camping fee was a donation, so I put the $10 bill that the I would have used to camp in the national park in the tube. I had the place to myself, except for a couple of local gentlemen who pitched a few games of horseshoes at one end of the park. Thank you, Bowman Lions Club. Your campground is awesome.

I had a little pizza at a place in Bowman, then headed back to the park, watched the sunset, and called it a night. A windy night.

Next up is down, as the trip heads south into SD.

Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #160
trzykawki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hello Chris

very fine RR. I have noticed your additional windshield. I have same wonderfull bike as you have, even same colour, what makes me depressed is wind and noise. I am wondering that this staff is helpfull if yes I would be grateful for some information where can i buy it.
trzykawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #161
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzykawki
Hello Chris

very fine RR. I have noticed your additional windshield. I have same wonderfull bike as you have, even same colour, what makes me depressed is wind and noise. I am wondering that this staff is helpfull if yes I would be grateful for some information where can i buy it.
Thanks for coming along, trzykawki.

That windscreen extension is a Laminar Lip. I like it. It changes the air flow in a way that works for me.

It's not as effective as the Aeroflow that I used to run, but it does a nice job.

I'm not sure of the best place to get one, but Google Laminar Lip and you should get some results.

Chris
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #162
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-B
As usual, I'm late for the party. Just finished catching up and I'll be watching the remainder unfold.

Awesome pics, great report, Chris.

Epic ride. You're a very lucky man. Most of all, you are a very wise man for making this happen.

Thanks for taking us along.
Thanks for coming along, Billy.

I'm just looking forward to the day that we ride the Rockies together. Or, rather, we ride them and you wait for me at the turns and at the tops of the passes.

Chris
Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #163
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
Thanks for coming along, Billy.

I'm just looking forward to the day that we ride the Rockies together. Or, rather, we ride them and you wait for me to pick up my bike at the turns and at the tops of the passes.

Chris

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #164
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber

It's been about 9 months and 'proximately 25,000 miles since my last .

Knock wood.

Chris
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #165
Land OP
Wanderer

I woke up in my hammock in Bowman, ND, Thursday, July 29, packed up and headed south on US 85. That day ended my 5th week on the road.

On the way down to Deadwood, I spied this sign and decided to go and see what it was all about.

It's out yonder.

Is "the center" the rockpile or the flag in the field? To be safe, I walked out to the flag just to be sure that the whole nation was centered on me.

I headed back out to the highway, wondering about the hand-painted sign and why it said "true."

A few miles down the road, I got to Belle Fourche and saw this sign. Ahh, I see, painter of the "true" sign.

This WWII-era truck (Studebaker or GMC?) has been shortened, among other things.

On through Belle Fourche and on to Spearfish, then Deadwood.

I strolled around Deadwood a bit, had lunch and lost a dollar to a one-armed bandit.

Then I went to Mount Moriah Cemetery, Deadwood's Boot Hill.

Bullock's grave is outside the regular boundaries of the cemetery -- and you have to climb up 750 feet in a pretty short distance to get to it.

There are some nice views of Deadwood from the cemetery.

This was parked on the street that goes to Mount Moriah. Kudos to anyone who can ID it without Internet help.

The afternoon was drifting away, so I headed out of town, keeping an eye out for a place to hang my hammock.

I went over to Central City and looked in the big hole that is the old Homestake Mine.

I wonder where there is to hang around here?

Stay tuned.

Chris