Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #76
OlyVR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land

Love the scenery, but you know how much I like old military vehicles: Any more pics of the Willy's and trailer?
OlyVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #77
Land OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyVR
Love the scenery, but you know how much I like old military vehicles: Any more pics of the Willy's and trailer?
Oliver, I was a little skeered to go down the driveway to the front of that CJ3B to get more pics, but, of course, I did shoot it a few more times from the other rear angle.

Since I'm sitting in a laundromat in Hungry Horse, MT, waiting for my clothes to dry ...

The Jeep is a civilian model, but the trailer may be a military M101 that someone has added a tailgate to. Or it may be a civilian Bantam. Hard to tell -- for me at least -- without getting a little closer.

That little town, Silver Plume, had quite a few cool old 4x4s around (which is very often the case in those little Colorado mountain towns, I've noticed ).

Willys Wagon

M715, with modifications.

A couple of CJs

And when those won't do:

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #78
OlyVR
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for indulging me and looking forward to seeing the whole slideslow when you get back.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #79
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber
Oh, you want the one where you are actually riding the bike......rather than taping it back together.

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #80
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 895

Best wishes & have a safe trip from me & Becca!!!

Maybe you'll have to give us a slide show at the GS Spot when you get back.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #81
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud
This thread. Post 59. Take a good look.

And thanks again for the tape and zipties.

Chris
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #82
Roundtuit
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 52
Sweet Trip Chris. Have a fun and safe ride!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #83
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,931
Chris,
You & your Esposa look so Happy in all of these pics
Thats's priceless.
My wife WILL NOT ride, But I gotta get out there hopefully next year
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #84
Land OP
Wanderer

After turning around on the Mosquito Pass road, I headed down to Buena Vista to the campground where WestFest was held last year.

There are some cool old vehicles in Buena Vista.

They prepared a special parking space for me in town.

I was going to take a campsite in the trees on the upper level of the campground, but I was offered a yurt for just a few dollars more. Since it was basically raining sideways while I was standing at the counter deciding, it was a pretty quick decision.

The yurt is pretty cool. It has a queen-size bed and a set of bunkbeds. I would not be surprised to find out that I was the first guest in this thing. It was that new.

Colorado weather can be very interesting.
These four photos were taken moments apart. I took one, turned 180 degrees and took another, turned to the side and took another, then another 180 for the final click.

I woke up from a restful night in the yurt, checked out and headed for Independence Pass.

I spied this on the way.

Up and over the pass.

I stopped in Aspen for lunch, then made a run out to an auto-parts store to get a test light because my lights had been acting up for a few days.

I saw this while I was out and about.

I got back to Aspen and ended up in a National Forest campground outside of town.

The next morning -- Saturday, July 10 -- I checked connections enough to satisfy myself pretty well that it wasn't the wiring. By this time, the lights, which had been coming on sometimes, were not coming on at all. No headlights, brake light, tail light, turn signals, instrument lights or horn. Obviously, it was something pretty early in the electrical flow to take out all of that. What? (I posted a plea for help in GSpot here and got some responses that, at least, helped me muddle through what some potential issues it might be.) I decided to have a dealer's tech look at it.

I headed west -- with no lights.

Stay tuned,
Chris

Land screwed with this post 07-27-2010 at 10:54 PM
Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #85
OlyVR
Gnarly Adventurer

Good luck with the lights.

And thanks for the pics of cool old iron - I love me some old wheels.
You got me drooling over the old Jeep that's for sale.

Stay safe and have fun!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #86
Land OP
Wanderer

With no lights, I headed out of Difficult Campground for the dealer in Grand Junction -- after I realized that there was a dealer in Grand Junction.

After a -- shall we say -- spirited run west on I-70, I rolled into the dealer's lot about 40 minutes before the Saturday closing time. I told the service writer what was going on and that I suspected a fuse or relay. A tech did some quick tests. No joy. They put it back together for me, and I got a motel room down the street. The tech would tackle it again Monday morning.

I cooled my heels for a hot Sunday. That was okay. I had been going pretty hard for a more than two weeks, so some down time was actually a good thing.

I parked the bike where I could keep an eye on it out the peephole and relaxed.

A little storm rolled in, and the sky looked pretty cool during and after.

Monday morning, I headed back to the dealer and -- long story short -- was on my way west again after they replaced the relay in the underseat fusebox.

Lunch was tasty.

The cheese.

I quickly tired of I-70 and turned onto a US highway. Since I had decided to check out the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America rally in Redmond, Oregon, I headed north.

While cruising along the interstate, I glanced down to check my speed. The GPS receiver displayed an interstatey speed , but the speedometer itself was parked on the goose egg. Oh, well. I'll fix that when I get home. I took a pic and made a note for maintenance/accurate records.

At a fuel stop, I noticed a display sign for Nine Mile Canyon. It sounded interesting, my tank was full and I had supper in the saddlebags. I headed up the canyon. (The name does not refer to its length, BTW.)

Rewind looks so clean in this shot. She's not, but she looks it.

The road turned into a hardpacked, fast dirt one.

It was getting late in the day, and I spied a little campground. I rented a spot from this gentleman, Ben, in his campground. He was repairing a fence when I rolled up.

I had the whole place to myself.

I hung my hammock and tarp, cooked some supper, and had a great night of sleep. (The tarp is still stowed in its mesh bag on the ridgeline string in this shot.)

In the night, I got up and staked out the tarp. It got a little chilly. It was a little under 7000 feet.

That brings this report to Tuesday, July 13. Next, we'll look at some of what Nine Mile Canyon has to offer.

Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #87
Land OP
Wanderer

Nine Mile Canyon is beautiful.

I was still stopping. A lot. There was a lot to see.

I came to an intersection and, basically, took a wrong turn that took me out of Nine Mile Canyon itself. I had been descending in elevation as I traveled through Nine Mile Canyon. The turn had me clibing again, toward a cold desert environment. There was a relative lot of traffic -- trucks of various sizes headed to the petroleum-production sites, mostly. My route was ruggedly beautiful.

Nine Mile Canyon is on my list of places to visit again. I really only stopped at one ancient art site, so I'll be back to see the rest one of these years.
By the time I was leaving the Nine Mile Canyon area, I had a destination in mind. The BMW Motorcycle Owners of America rally was scheduled for the weekend, so I decided to head there.

I started working my way north and west.

This part of Utah is very different from areas down in the more southern part of the state.

I spent most of the afternoon blasting along on the interstate.

I moteled it just outside Boise.
The next morning I continued to work my way north and west, then more west.

I had been having some headaches from my muffler. It had it cut the rivets that hold it together twice on this trip, and I had popped new rivets in it. The problem was that the holes were wallowed out, and a 2"x4" section had blown out. I kept my eye out for a muffler shop after I got off the interstate. I figured that a chop saw and a drill would solve my problem. It did, at this little shop in Notus, Idaho.

About three inches chopped off of it allowed me to drill some fresh holes for the rivets.
With a quieter bike, I continued on.

I had a wet burrito in Vale, Oregon, a town with some Oregon Trail history.

I was happy to be off the interstate. US26 is a fun road with some interesting sights along the way.

I wonder how business is?

I think that old WDX-WM Power Wagons are incredibly cool, and it was interesting seeing this one still at work.

Time to check out of this little mom-n-pop motel in Montana and hit the road again.

Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #88
Land OP
Wanderer

One of my posts didn't make it -- bad Internet connection this morning -- so this one is a little out of order.

Rewind. (You're probably just looking at the pictures anyway. ) There's a little duplication. Sorry about that.

I woke up Tuesday morning after a great night of sleep. (I really think that I'm getting the hang of hanging this hammock.) I packed up and hit the road at about 7:30.

About an hour later, I had gone about 10 miles. I kept stopping to take photos.:laugh:

These carvings are from about 1,000 years ago.

A couple of years ago on another ride (there's a report on here ), I went up Thompson Canyon in Utah and saw some petroglyphs. It was cool. In among the carvings that spanned thousands of years was a name from the 1880s.

I wondered if the name under the 1884 was Gay Whipple with a G or Cay Whipple.
Since these sites aren't all that far apart, I wonder if I have my answer?

Anyway ...

Okay, I really need to get back on the road now.

Stay tuned,
Chris
Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #89
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,853
Really enjoying this RR Chris.

This gent favors Chuck "from my cold dead hands" Heston.

mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #90
Roundtuit
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 52
http://land.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/...11_qvguv-L.jpg

My Uncle has three of them that he uses for various jobs. Mostly hauling and plowing snow. He is always looking for another. Awesome trip.