User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
tpfeffer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Pls help test ABS Relay - R1100RT

For the first time last weekend, the ABS lights on my 2000 R1100RT started flashing in the warning mode (alternating top and bottom lights). I read the codes on the #2 pin of the diagnostic connector near the fuse box and it had 6 "dips", indicating the ABS relay was the problem. I reset the fault code, and the next time out after about 20 miles of riding the alternating lights re-appeared and the diagnostics shows the same 6 "dips".

I have measured the resistance across the pins of the relay and ask if someone else without an ABS problem could do the same to verify if the relay is bad.

Pins 1 - 2, across the relay coil = 122.5 ohm
Pins 3 - 4, across the contacts (pins 1-2 not energized) = 0.3 ohms
Pins 3 - 4, across the contacts (pins 1-2 energized with 12 vdc) = open

FYI, all other combination of pins (1-4, 2-3, 2,4, 1-3) are open.

The relay is only about $20, so if I have to buy new and Plug-n-play I can, but would rather save the $20 if someone out in the forum can verify my results

PS - the battery is new and fully charged.

Thanks
Tom
tpfeffer@gmail.com
tpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,268
A code 6 is an easy fix... a code 7, not so much. Trick is to get an accurate fault code. I used an LED with a resistor... but you have to hook it between the test pin and battery positive... some sources have you hook it to ground which does not work.

The dealer can hook up and read more info than the blinking lights indicate, and in some cases, induce fixes via the computer. The Type II hydro units are the same for all bikes, the brain box is not. It is pretty easy to graft a different box to the hydro. The brain from a RS is not the same as a GS for instance, though some can be re-programed through the BMW computer. Used units on ebay run about $500 last time I looked. I have a spare RS brain, but do not know it's condition (left over from my graft last year... it would not re-program to GS)... if it comes down to that, I'll send it to you if you want to try it. Good Luck.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=brake

I just measured 2 that I have in my pile... coils were 21 and 22 ohms.

Measured with no wires connected.

I think the big terminals that carry power should be open with the relay
not energized, and near zero when powered up. so ??????

Did you remove the wires from the big terminals? If not that could be screwing up your readings... ohm meters go off scale when connected to a voltage source (digital meters usually read infinite).

Beezer screwed with this post 07-18-2010 at 01:02 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
If you use a 12V LED then there's no need for a resistor. The brains are the same for the K1100s and R1100s. Part number 34512331935. However, they need to be programmed for each bike by a stealer.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote