Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #31
NDEBT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRat
Indeed, and I'm a little jealous.

I just had visions of the dayglo being tucked away in a pocket whilst the business was being attended to.

I've had deer stare straight in my direction while wearing the blaze orange and never see me unlike say Turkey that will see it from a mile away. The key is to stay motionless. Most hunters hunt a variaty of game and some require you to wear orange. It just makes since to just throw on a orange vest over your'e regular hunting clothes.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #32
Nuclear Fishin'
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRat
Indeed, and I'm a little jealous.

I just had visions of the dayglo being tucked away in a pocket whilst the business was being attended to.
If I'm hunting in a blind the vest comes off. I'll also take my vest off if I need it for a marker and I know I'm the only one hunting an area like my own land. Otherwise, I leave mine on until I'm back at the truck/road and need to use it for a pillow while napping/waiting on my ride or partner.

My hunting includes more naps and nature watching than actual hunting by far, since it is typically the only vacation I get each year.
Nuclear Fishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #33
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,566

09, first knife kill

My sons first deer.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #34
Lab-Kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And a little guy taken a few hundred yards from where we were duck hunting....
[IMG][/IMG]
Lab-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #35
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,866
Beautiful pics, Lab!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #36
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,175

Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #37
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #38
NDEBT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf

That beats the hell out of shiting off of a hill with one arm hanging on a tree so you don't shit in you're bibs . I like how this thread is going. There are some really nice "Trophies" but the really cool ones are of the kids. Good on you Dads. Love the dog pics too. This is one I found of my Dad and Uncle around 1976. I loved hunting with those dogs. Liz,Spot and Lady. I remember them like it was yesterday.

Quail hunting is a lost art really. The two pointers were covey dogs that found the birds. The Britney was used for singles after you split them. Some here might remember hunting like that. The coyotes,Hawks and fence to fence farming has almost made this kind of hunting obsolete around here.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

NDEBT screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 10:40 PM
Old 07-31-2010, 06:02 AM   #39
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,978
Check this out..............http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283412

some of you may like it

SFS
southforkspeedster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #40
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Is that a Lyle recurve? I shoot a couple old Grooves one of which I had built for me custom at the Groves plant here in Albuquerque when I was 10 in 1968, the other I bought (a 1970) only about five years ago. I do hunt with a compound bow too, an old 4 runner, but am more extinctive with a recurve when something is moving faster than a walk. Shoot, I can hit rabbits on the run with my original Groves. BTW I have a Lyle fusion long bow too is why I asked.

No, it's a Black Widow MAII 60" @ 72#. It's been my absolute go to bow since 1990. I've shot a couple of Groves recurves and they are fantastic also. I also have a compound these days due to some shoulder/elbow problems a couple of years ago. If I can find it I'll post up a picture of a nice prairie goat I got with that bow a couple of years ago. Now that the shoulder and elbow are cooperating I am starting to shoot the recurve and longbow once again.
TexasRT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:11 AM   #41
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Woman
Apparently.

TexasRT- not to make light of you hunting the warthog or anything... but I had one of those walk up to me about 2 feet away while we had a campfire on the Serengheti.

EDIT: I missed the bow and arrow part... that's skill!!
I wouldn't have taken offense without the Edit All wild animals do some strange things at times. I've had a very nice 10 point white tail walk up to ten feet and just stare at me while I was stalking javelina. The warthogs were quite wary where I was and I think that it probably due to the level of predation. The leopard population was significant in that area.

The young warthogs were a blast to watch and film. They would come in all puffed up with their whiskers representing faux tusks but at the first snap of a twig they would turn into whirling dervishes heading for the brush.

TexasRT screwed with this post 07-31-2010 at 07:21 AM
TexasRT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #42
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT
I wouldn't have taken offense without the Edit All wild animals do some strange things at times. I've had a very nice 10 point white tail walk up to ten feet and just stare at me while I was stalking javelina. The warthogs were quite wary where I was and I think that it probably due to the level of predation. The leopard population was significant in that area.

The young warthogs were a blast to watch and film. They would come in all puffed up with their whiskers representing faux tusks but at the first snap of a twig they would turn into whirling dervishes heading for the brush.
Very true about animals being unpredictable, and how a very elusive quarry one day can be almost like a barnyard pet the next in its behavior. I recall last fall doing some wild turkey hunting and commenting somewhere on how those critters wouldn't come within 200 yards of me, and then ShadyRascal, who lives just down the road from me, posted a pic of himself practically petting a turkey on his property. Jeebus.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #43
NDEBT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT
No, it's a Black Widow MAII 60" @ 72#. It's been my absolute go to bow since 1990. I've shot a couple of Groves recurves and they are fantastic also. I also have a compound these days due to some shoulder/elbow problems a couple of years ago. If I can find it I'll post up a picture of a nice prairie goat I got with that bow a couple of years ago. Now that the shoulder and elbow are cooperating I am starting to shoot the recurve and longbow once again.
I almost commented that it was a Black Widow but was not sure. The only one of those I pulled was so great I went to order one back in the early 90's. The price back then was crazy. Like everything else I guess you get what you pay for.

That said I have a top of the line Mathews with 80% let off that you can not finger shoot really buy I can split arrows with it. I thought I would like it but still pick up my old recurves when I go out hunting.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #44
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Best.

Camp.

Ever.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #45
DWalt