Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #46
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT
I almost commented that it was a Black Widow but was not sure. The only one of those I pulled was so great I went to order one back in the early 90's. The price back then was crazy. Like everything else I guess you get what you pay for.

That said I have a top of the line Mathews with 80% let off that you can not finger shoot really buy I can split arrows with it. I thought I would like it but still pick up my old recurves when I go out hunting.

I bought that one in April of '90 right before they went up that year. Some folks may argue but I think Black Widow makes one of if not the best recurve bows in existence. I have a dozen other bows and if my shooting seems off I always reach for the widow and everything just sorts it self out. I make a simple one piece recurve that weighs the same as a long bow and my original design goal was to have it shoot as good as the widow. It is close but I'll still give the nod to the widow. Mostly because the widows mass makes it just a little more stable.

Another reason I like the widow is Ken Beck, who owned the company at that time. He is a true gentleman and has given back to the sport in so many ways.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #47
NDEBT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt
Fug....

How many do you want....

And many more.
That don't look like pig blood But I can't see the ground in the pic, Tell the story. Obviously a bow kill.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #48
DWalt
**** The Beans....

Oddometer: 3,753
Quote:
That don't look like pig blood But I can't see the ground in the pic, Tell the story. Obviously a bow kill.

I've told it before, but I'll tell it again....

I had just picked up an ghille (SIC?) suit from Cabelas and wanted to try it out. Pops had been taking pictures of a bunch of does coming to a little strip of grass we plant down and old logging road. It's really not set up to bowhunt, but I was wearing a blind.

So I just carried a camo folding chair in with me, got way off the old road to not stink it up, and slipped through the woods to about 15 yards from the spot Pops had his camera set on. Set up my chair backed into a little bush, arranged my self so the bow was at my 90, resting on the ground, and the release already clipped to the string, aiming where I hoped a big nanny would stop for a bite. The only movement I would have to make to pull this off was to raise the bow a few inches, and make the draw.

Didn't take long.

I was fooling with a crow, perched on a limb right above me, trying to figure me out, when I caught movement in the woods across the old road. Three big does browsing through the woods coming directly at me. If their trajectory held steady, they were going to step down into the road at about 10 yards, and I just knew they were gonna burn me, or smell me. But they didn't. The first two stepped down into the road, turned and started browsing, moving right into my line of fire. But the third had not stepped into the road, still browsing in the woods at about 11 yards, facing directly at me, I couldn't move. The other two were quartered away from me, so they were not the issue at this point, I had to beat this one.

Now I know it's just a couple of old does, but this was intense! Three whitetails within fifteen yards of me for several minutes. My heart was pounding, I was afraid they were going to hear me breathing.

Finally she turned slightly away, lowered her head behind some bushes for a munch on something and I knew this was my chance. A quick, eye shift glance at the other two. Right where I needed them. Then closely watching the other to make sure she didn't pull a "crazy Ivan" on me, I slowly started the draw, got the bow to full draw without ever taking my eyes off of the tattletale, turned my head toward the bow, found the peep, lined the pin up in the armpit of the one closest to me, and let fly. Smack, crash, run, crash. Thrash. I knew it was all over.

When I got over the adrenal dump shakes, and paced the fourteen steps to her kick up tracks, the first thing I see as I look through the woods in the direction she ran was the tree. Looked like it was painted. I've followed a thousand blood trails, but I had never seen one paint a trail like that. That
vortec broadhead is the medicine! She went about 40 yards and piled up. A beautiful 120lb pile of roast, backstraps, and sasuage!

Out of all the deer and the few elk I've killed, this was one of, if not the most exciting, satisfying hunts I've experienced.

Just and old doe.
DWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #49
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,417
I'll play

A few from the Northwest corner of Colorado
My son and his first pronghorn

Couple rattleworms and my trusty shovel

Son and his first muley

Sis and her's

Daughter's first elk

My Pronghorn

Coyote

How about some dancing Elk along the hiway outside of Hayden CO

nwcolorider screwed with this post 07-31-2010 at 08:43 PM
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #50
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,765
Some great pics in this thread.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #51
NDEBT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt

Out of all the deer and the few elk I've killed, this was one of, if not the most exciting, satisfying hunts I've experienced.

Just and old doe.
That is what it is all about. I killed this buck and the smallest doe with my 1911 pistol. Like you said not the biggest by far but one of the most intense hunting I've done. I love still hunting and getting close.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #52
NDEBT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Me my pops and older brother a long,long time ago.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #53
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Me my pops and older brother a long,long time ago.
You shot your cat?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #54
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Antelope taken east of Trinidad Colorado using a Parker compound. You can tell by the grass it was not a normal year. Instead of 2 inches of sun dried stubble it was knee deep grass on the prairie since it had rained most of August that year.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #55
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT
Antelope taken east of Trinidad Colorado using a Parker compound. You can tell by the grass it was not a normal year. Instead of 2 inches of sun dried stubble it was knee deep grass on the prairie since it had rained most of August that year.

Okay, I've seen those things in Saskatchewan and Alberta and I know they can run at 100km/hr.

How TF do you nail one with a bow?!?

Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #56
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
Last seasons buck.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #57
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Okay, I've seen those things in Saskatchewan and Alberta and I know they can run at 100km/hr.

Patience, patience and more patience! Actually, they weren't coming to water holes due to all of the rain but I found a little sandy flat where they were coming to mark their territory and make scrapes since it was coming on to the rut. I was in a ground blind for 13-14 hours a day for 4 days before I got the shot.

Edit: It was all worth it too! Antelope is one of the best eating game animals.

TexasRT screwed with this post 08-01-2010 at 07:04 PM
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #58
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce

We use a decoy and try to bring them in sometimes, but mainly we sit on water holes. LAst year I sat on a lawn chair in the barn as my buck came to the water trough. We have our blinds out on water now, season starts Aug 15. Cannot wait!
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #59
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider
We use a decoy and try to bring them in sometimes, but mainly we sit on water holes. LAst year I sat on a lawn chair in the barn as my buck came to the water trough. We have our blinds out on water now, season starts Aug 15. Cannot wait!
Post pics!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #60
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 600
I'll bite.......

Last season in the mountains of Virginia

SplitLanesLikeMOSES screwed with this post 08-02-2010 at 01:15 PM
SplitLanesLikeMOSES is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: