User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Toad1957 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
WR250F v TTR250R v ???

I have a DR650 which is a great adventure bike, but when I hit some of those sandy tracks we have in the south west of WA, I'm struggling with the weight, and feel like I need a smaller bike (I'll be keeping the DR).

Lots of people have good things to say about the WR250F, but what about the TTR250? The 4 grand saved will buy a lot of goodies! Or something else? Opinions please.

Bike must be road legal. I am an old fart, so not looking for a missile.
Toad1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad1957
I have a DR650 which is a great adventure bike, but when I hit some of those sandy tracks we have in the south west of WA, I'm struggling with the weight, and feel like I need a smaller bike (I'll be keeping the DR).

Lots of people have good things to say about the WR250F, but what about the TTR250? The 4 grand saved will buy a lot of goodies! Or something else? Opinions please.

Take em both for a rdie and you won't have to ask - all becomes very obvious, very quickly

Seriously

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
ralphk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Ktm530

Quote:

I had a DR650, got replaced by KTM530....not a missile (unless you twist hard) but gear selection is easy in the rough stuff 1st or 2nd does it all and can still cruise comfortably at 110.
ralphk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,865
I would throw in the Wr250r into that mix as well, probably as first choice.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
scottyoffroad
Trials and Trails

Oddometer: 89
Wr250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz
I would throw in the Wr250r into that mix as well, probably as first choice.
+1 I would go that option as well. The "R" model much more powerfull than the ttr, not quite as powerfull as the "F" but a lot smoother at highway speeds and much longer service intervals. Think of it as a modern TTR, with water cooling, better suspension etc.

Cheers Scotty
scottyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Toad1957 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyoffroad
+1 I would go that option as well. The "R" model much more powerfull than the ttr, not quite as powerfull as the "F" but a lot smoother at highway speeds and much longer service intervals. Think of it as a modern TTR, with water cooling, better suspension etc.

Cheers Scotty
I had discounted the R as I am keeping the DR650 as my "adventure" bike.

It seems to me that the R is in the same category as the DR, whereas the F is more enduro focused. Correct me if I am wrong.

Scotty - are you saying the R & F have different service intervals?
Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
scottyoffroad
Trials and Trails

Quote:
I had discounted the R as I am keeping the DR650 as my "adventure" bike.

It seems to me that the R is in the same category as the DR, whereas the F is more enduro focused. Correct me if I am wrong.

Scotty - are you saying the R & F have different service intervals?
F model is designed as a competition engine (high performance = more stress on components), R is designed as a dual purpose engine. The F requires very regular oil changes and regular checking of the valve clearances. The R is more like a road bike as far as servicing goes.

If you were discounting the R model because it is similar design purpose to the DR650, then you should definately not be considering the TTR. The TTr is old school technology (not that there is anything wrong with that ) and is basically a 250cc equivilent of the DR650.

All of them are good bikes, it just depends on what you want to use it for. If you are doing any more than 20k's of bitumen at a time you wont want to be on the F, but it will be a shitload more fun in the bush.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Seeing as you said that you don't want a missile, the ttr250 is seriously good value for money. A bit old tech but they go alright and are just about bullet proof.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Toad1957 OP
Adventurer

OK - I think I have ruled out the WR250F (too hard core for my needs), but I'm adding the KLX250S into the mix.

To my mind the KLX sits somewhere between the TTR250 and WR250R, but price wise it beats them both!

Whaddyareckon?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
philth
philth

Oddometer: 6,022
love my ttr
chases cows all week and 450s on the weekend
but dont forget the dr 250
philth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,596
Yep - you already know the spares-guy at your Suzuki dealer , so don't discount either the DR250 - or even the DR400 - which could probably do the job of both a 650 and a 250.
No, I don't own either, but I have threemates - one with a DR650, one with a 400 and the other with a 250 - and they all love 'em.
And assuming the '1957' is your DOB and not the year you got your licence - you're younger 'n me... and I ain't no old fart!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
scottyoffroad
Trials and Trails

Quote:
OK - I think I have ruled out the WR250F (too hard core for my needs), but I'm adding the KLX250S into the mix.

To my mind the KLX sits somewhere between the TTR250 and WR250R, but price wise it beats them both!

Whaddyareckon?
DRZ250 or TTR250. KLX looks more modern with water cooling etc, but is heavier, steel tank etc.. and from what I have heard, doesnt handle as well as the other two. (my opinion only...what is good for me may not be good for you!!!!)

Should have mentioned the drz before. My brother who is new to motorcycling is looking at getting a bike to commute to work on and also the odd trail ride. We are trying to find a drz for him.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Lots of KLX's being used as mustering bikes these days, better cooling. TTR's were bad for electrics, don't know what there like now, DRZ 400 would be worth a look.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
In their day the KLX250 was the hot ticket. Still a good bike and highly under rated. A plastic tank off the old KLX250R will fit if you don't like steel. I own a KLX250R and have owned a KLX300. Both great bikes for what they are.

I have owned a WR250F. I cleaned up a lot of 450's and 520's on that little bike. But you had to keep it on the pipe and it lacked a bit down low. The KLX will be a bit similar.
crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,523
You say you're struggling with weight in sandy conditions? Ever thought of a 2-stroke?
You don't say whether you are carrying a ton of gear as well, but if it's just a backpack then a KTM 300 would make life a lot simpler in the sand, and it has loads of grunt and likes to be short-shifted, but will rip your arms out if asked to do so.Weighs 103 kg's with electric start.
Just thinking outside the square.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote