ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #136
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl
 
kdxkawboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Gardnerville, Nv
Oddometer: 2,631
Traditional route would go from Rawhyde to Top Gun Raceway to Weeks and Churchill Canyon and then uses the Backcountry Byway to finish in Dayton. Its a rocky route from Dayton to Cumo and then it gets ugly, nasty, tire pinching rocky from Cumo down to Churchill Canyon. From Churchill Canyon over to Top Gun Raceway (south of Fallon) the course is mostly keep it pinned in top gear and keep you eyes open for runoff ruts as the route goes across the playa.

A good loop to Bodie is to take Brunswick Canyon from Deer Run Road in Carson City to Sunrise Pass to Wellington. In Wellington pick up the Hoye Canyon Road to Eastside Lane to Camp Antelope Road to Bircham Flat Road. From Bircham Falt turn east for Lobdell Lake and north of the lake find the road up over the top of Mt. Patterson. Going down the east side of Patterson bring you out on SR338. Head south until you see the sign pointing out the dirt road to Hawthorne. Just after you cross the Walker River you'll see a sign pointing to Masonic From Masonic you can pick up the old Masonic<->Bodie Stage Road. From Bridgeport you would have a two hour run back to Reno.
__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #137
ravine
Adventurer
 
ravine's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Marin county, ca
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
Traditional route would go from Rawhyde to Top Gun Raceway to Weeks and Churchill Canyon and then uses the Backcountry Byway to finish in Dayton. Its a rocky route from Dayton to Cumo and then it gets ugly, nasty, tire pinching rocky from Cumo down to Churchill Canyon. From Churchill Canyon over to Top Gun Raceway (south of Fallon) the course is mostly keep it pinned in top gear and keep you eyes open for runoff ruts as the route goes across the playa.

A good loop to Bodie is to take Brunswick Canyon from Deer Run Road in Carson City to Sunrise Pass to Wellington. In Wellington pick up the Hoye Canyon Road to Eastside Lane to Camp Antelope Road to Bircham Flat Road. From Bircham Falt turn east for Lobdell Lake and north of the lake find the road up over the top of Mt. Patterson. Going down the east side of Patterson bring you out on SR338. Head south until you see the sign pointing out the dirt road to Hawthorne. Just after you cross the Walker River you'll see a sign pointing to Masonic From Masonic you can pick up the old Masonic<->Bodie Stage Road. From Bridgeport you would have a two hour run back to Reno.
This is great info. Thanks

The Vegas to Reno route, as you describe it, sounds much less appealing than the Bodie loop. Its looking like we won't get started Saturday until late morning so we may just spend time exploring closer to Reno. Then wake early the next day and ride to Bodie and back.
ravine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #138
00ridgerunner00
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 46
Mono Lake

Had another great adventure in your neck of the woods. We did Cottonwood Road from Sonora over Tioga Pass to Mono Lake. Went on sand from the south side of the lake circling all the way around trail was better suited for a dune buggy but we had fun anyway. That grass at the Bridgeport gas station felt good at the end of the day.

00ridgerunner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #139
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl
 
kdxkawboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Gardnerville, Nv
Oddometer: 2,631
Sounds like a fun ride. That sand on the south side is deep enough you need to hold something around 35-40 mph to stay and top and keep the wobbles away. Good thing you didn't try the old RR bed on the east side. It has several nasty, bottomless pits made up of a combination of silt and volcanic ash.

Next time you come over you need to try Sonora Pass. This time of year its pretty much free of traffic from Kennedy Meadows to the junction with 395.
__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #140
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl
 
kdxkawboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Gardnerville, Nv
Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravine
The Vegas to Reno route, as you describe it, sounds much less appealing than the Bodie loop.
You need to understand that Casey Folks has a sadistic side. From Weeks to Dayton is the last leg of a long race. He's taken folks through all this nasty stuff to get to Top Gun and then he gives them this nice bit of easy, high speed stuff from Top Gun to Weeks. And as they leave Weeks it seems to get easier yet.

But then they turn off the Churchill Canyon road and head up the Fort Churchill to Wellington Backcounty Byway. The further up this road you go the nastier it keeps getting until it seems paved in nothing but uneven, jarring, machine busting outcroppings from hell that force you to snake your way through. Once you reach the old mining ghost town of Cumo it does get a little better, but its still a jarring, rocky road that would spit you off the side of a steep hill if you aren't careful. And with the exception of the leaders on the motorcycles, everyone is running this section in the dark.

By the time the racers reach Dayton they know Casey has a truly evil, twisted idea of fun.
__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #141
00ridgerunner00
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
Sounds like a fun ride. That sand on the south side is deep enough you need to hold something around 35-40 mph to stay and top and keep the wobbles away. Good thing you didn't try the old RR bed on the east side. It has several nasty, bottomless pits made up of a combination of silt and volcanic ash.

Next time you come over you need to try Sonora Pass. This time of year its pretty much free of traffic from Kennedy Meadows to the junction with 395.
we circled from the south to north side passing the east side en route. where is the old rr bed? - not that I would put myself through that again.

as far as 108 / sonora pass - i do it at least a couple times a year - def my fav pass, especially immediately afer it opens in spring - dropping into the east side is nothing short of glorious. only going back 1 more time this year to summit patterson.
00ridgerunner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #142
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00ridgerunner00
we circled from the south to north side passing the east side en route. where is the old rr bed? - not that I would put myself through that again. .
That is it. If you looked close you see an old RR tie every once in a while. I have been working to cut a trail through the over grouth up the switchbacks to Bodie on the old grade.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #143
P-P
Adventurer
 
P-P's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Wild-Wild West... Northern Nevada
Oddometer: 97
Saturday's out.

I'm helping a friend lay wood flooring tomorrow so I only have monday to ride.
__________________
Just say NO! to CaliFornication!
P-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #144
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl
 
kdxkawboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Gardnerville, Nv
Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00ridgerunner00
we circled from the south to north side passing the east side en route. where is the old rr bed? -
The green track is most likely the 4x4 road you followed around the lake and the red track is the old railroad bed. Between Warm Springs and Pole Line Road is were the nasty silt beds lay. Had a friend who sponsored a ride from Gardnerville to Bishop and used this old RR and every year they came back with sotires oif someone getting their big 500/600 good and stuck. Its on the north side of Pole Line Road that Jerry is working to clear the brush on the old RR up to Bodie.


Jerry, as get to the back side of Bodie take care. About 7 years ago the state picked up ownership of a big chunk of the back side, that include the old RR right-of-way. Don't know if they have it all marked as being state land, but the Park Rangers do get aggressive about handing out Trespassing violations, even if they do wrongfully cite you for tresspassing where they said you could not set you cameras to make a film - all those No Trespassing signs with the State Park Bear that cite California Code, the section they site is for when you have been given a permit to make a commercial film on state property and they stake out where you can and cannot take your cameras. I learned this as I successfully fought my $500 trespassing ticket for violating the filming permit I never had. I was showing a friend the old RR depot just after the state bought the land, but before they started puting up any signs.

As for me, this weekend is out for a ride as I need to make a loop with the wife - she has her own KLR650 and TT225. She's let me go riding with the boys the last four weekends so I need to show her some love.
__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

kdxkawboy screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 08:53 PM
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #145
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer
 
tahoeacr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lake Tahoe
Oddometer: 2,210
Racinace and I will be out in the Pine nuts tomorrow if anyone is heading out there.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #146
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 533
Leaving this morning from Orange County. Meandering my way up toward your area 90% offroad. I have family in Minden/Reno/Tahoe that I'll be visiting as I pass through on my way up north, so I'll probably stick around in the area a couple/few days. Not sure exactly when I'll arrive, kind of an I'll get there when I get there sorta deal, but hopefully I'll get a chance to ride with you guys... or again anyway, I've meet a couple of you.

I'll probably take the western route (thanks Jerry) but it kinda depends on the weather and my mood. Any "Dude, WTF, you're passing right by the most epic trail ever" type of heads up recommendations would be appreciated.



Anyway, if you see a dork on a TE610 loaded with camping gear who looks like his hands are cold because he can't install heated grips without fucking up his electrical system, feel free to give him the salute.


Probably be there by the weekend if I don't get too sidetracked. My navigation tends to be a bit haphazard.
SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #147
rwamf
Follow me
 
rwamf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Odessa TX USA
Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepticSkeptic
Leaving this morning from Orange County. Meandering my way up toward your area 90% offroad. I have family in Minden/Reno/Tahoe that I'll be visiting as I pass through on my way up north, so I'll probably stick around in the area a couple/few days. Not sure exactly when I'll arrive, kind of an I'll get there when I get there sorta deal, but hopefully I'll get a chance to ride with you guys... or again anyway, I've meet a couple of you.

I'll probably take the western route (thanks Jerry) but it kinda depends on the weather and my mood. Any "Dude, WTF, you're passing right by the most epic trail ever" type of heads up recommendations would be appreciated.



Anyway, if you see a dork on a TE610 loaded with camping gear who looks like his hands are cold because he can't install heated grips without fucking up his electrical system, feel free to give him the salute.


Probably be there by the weekend if I don't get too sidetracked. My navigation tends to be a bit haphazard.
Just a heads up, Bridgeport FS closed the trails out of Bridgeport, Huntoon TRL , the Twin lakes trail and the whole section between 108 and 89, IT SUCKS but you will have to bypass them.
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ RWE
Robert

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #148
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Just a heads up, Bridgeport FS closed the trails out of Bridgeport, Huntoon TRL , the Twin lakes trail and the whole section between 108 and 89, IT SUCKS but you will have to bypass them.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm i Bishop atm. Glad I checked back.
SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #149
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Just a heads up, Bridgeport FS closed the trails out of Bridgeport, Huntoon TRL , the Twin lakes trail and the whole section between 108 and 89, IT SUCKS but you will have to bypass them.
I don't think they have any money to post any closed trails. They told me that they were only giving warnings the first year any way. And that is from one LEO in the field that only drives truck. My guess is that any closed signs will be gone in months.

Give Robert and I a call when you get to Carson.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #150
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 533
I did the western section up to where it hooks up to the 395 just north of Bridgeport, then fueled up in Bridgeport and swapped to the eastern route up and into Reno. I'm in Reno now. Maintenance day tommorow.

I thought I did a quick satelite image check of the route before I loaded the route, guess I didn't look very closely. The single track bit was a surprise.

Looking behind me:


Didn't look like anyone had been on it in a long time, made me a bit nervous, Didn't know what I was riding into or if I'd find a man in uniform waiting to talk to me at the other end. Pretty hard to spot the trail in places.

I cased it on one or the tight rocky switchbacks coming down.



That's the kind of stuff I'd like to do after I get into and area, hook up with other riders, and drop this freaking load.


Some scenic stuff up there though:


Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I'll be around thru the weekend probably. From here the plan was to head toward Shasta and then Bandon OR, but I'm thinking about putting a route together that goes up thru Soldier Meadows on my way north, there's a Husky gathering in Bend on the 16th. Just gotta sort out the route and figure out a fuel solution.

SepticSkeptic screwed with this post 09-23-2010 at 06:15 AM
SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014