ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #61
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
Great ride All. Good thing I came back when I did... took me all evening to help the GF finish a repainting of the guest bath.

next time i'll be up for a bit longer ride. :-)
Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #62
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Who wants to plan the ride for this weekend? Folks came down to Carson last weekend so perhaps someone in Reno should come up with a route.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #63
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

I'm on a trip this weekend. Headed to Panguitch UT with a group of crazies. Back on line when I'm back.,,
Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #64
00ridgerunner00
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
anything going on around here this weekend?

either doing pine nut mtn through to mt patterson and beyond

OR

circumnavigation of pyrammid lake (east of winn wash and around the north end of pyramid lake etc...or something like that).

any suggestions from a local or two? was hoping something epic was brewing so i could invite myself along :)
00ridgerunner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #65
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Not local here.... but I am riding from Reno to Panguitch UT (via Rachel, NV and camping out near the ET Highway Thursday night!) on a big dualsport trip with a bunch of yahoos who all used to be part of www.f650.com

It's called the Altitude Sickness ride and we do it every year. Have fun on teh local rides everyone. Ride safe....
Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #66
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

If you've not been to the top of Mt. Patterson, it will be epic -

In your other post I mentioned going up Thompson Canyon and down Rickey Canyon to get to Wellington, also awesome views from on top -

But you don't want to wind up like my buddy did, a few moments before that last photo -

Never know what you may run into -

Recommend you plan a day of just playing around the lower slopes running the single track and trails where ever you find it -

At the north end of the valley you can pop out to a fuel & food on Johnson Lane and at the south end you pop out to Us395 and Pine Nut Road for the 7-11. So spend most of the day playing and you can get over the top to Wellington in no more than two hours.

On the next day take Hoye Canyon Road to Eastside Lane to Risue Canyon Road. If you go a mile or so past the junction with Risue you hit the junction with Topaz Lane. To your east there is a canyon with a sandwash. Neat little trail that takes you back over to Risue Pass Road. If you found your map you'll be able to see a road that runs from Risue to Lobdell Lake. Just north of Lobdell Lake the road up to Mt. Patterson takes off to the east. When you come down the east side of Mt. Patterson and hit the pavement turn north. Look for a USFS road sign that says Sand Canyon. This will get you up into some more interesting riding.

For myself, looks like I'm going to head over HW4 and catch Board's Crossing and go play in the lands between Hw4 and HW108. Want to get some material and photos to try my hand at a Rider Magazine ride report.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #67
00ridgerunner00
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
If you've not been to the top of Mt. Patterson, it will be epic -

In your other post I mentioned going up Thompson Canyon and down Rickey Canyon to get to Wellington, also awesome views from on top -

But you don't want to wind up like my buddy did, a few moments before that last photo -

Never know what you may run into -

Recommend you plan a day of just playing around the lower slopes running the single track and trails where ever you find it -

At the north end of the valley you can pop out to a fuel & food on Johnson Lane and at the south end you pop out to Us395 and Pine Nut Road for the 7-11. So spend most of the day playing and you can get over the top to Wellington in no more than two hours.

On the next day take Hoye Canyon Road to Eastside Lane to Risue Canyon Road. If you go a mile or so past the junction with Risue you hit the junction with Topaz Lane. To your east there is a canyon with a sandwash. Neat little trail that takes you back over to Risue Pass Road. If you found your map you'll be able to see a road that runs from Risue to Lobdell Lake. Just north of Lobdell Lake the road up to Mt. Patterson takes off to the east. When you come down the east side of Mt. Patterson and hit the pavement turn north. Look for a USFS road sign that says Sand Canyon. This will get you up into some more interesting riding.

For myself, looks like I'm going to head over HW4 and catch Board's Crossing and go play in the lands between Hw4 and HW108. Want to get some material and photos to try my hand at a Rider Magazine ride report.
Hey...thanks much. Just the beta i was looking for. Have you done any riding over east of winnimucca / pyramid lake / nightengale mine etc... area?

Next time you come over to the west side hit me up if you need a riding partner. I'm just down the hill from Auburn but ride all over CA. Good luck over there, beautiful area.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #68
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Been towards Winnemuca a couple times. Mostly run from Pyramid Lake north into the Black Rock and then back west along the old immigrant trails. And I still love to go back to my old stomping grounds, the Stanislaus NF. I do need to spend more time playing in the Tahoe NF.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #69
skag
ResistsEnlightenment

Oddometer: 348
HAVE 450, WILL TRAVEL.

Planning on spending the weekend of Aug 28&29 in the upper 108 - 395 area. Camp at Sonora Bridge or Bootjack and ride /explore area trails.I'd like to do Mt. Patterson. Looking for company and open to suggestions. Anyone riding that weekend? Tahoe , Carson Valley, Bridgeport? Whatcha got?

Steve

skag screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 09:19 PM
skag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #70
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

I'd rule out staying at Sonora Bridge. Its a nice campground, but unless the ground water has improved you need to treat it as a dry camping site. About ten years ago the water table shifted and whatever feeds the local hot springs got into the Sonora Bridge wells and the water is sulfurous. Bootleg is a noce spot along the river, but you need to put up with the noise of 24x7 traffic along 395. My own personal recommendation is to stay at Honeymoon Flat Campground. Its on the road from Bridgeport to Twin Lakes, or go camp up along Desert Creek on Risue Pass Road - I drink from the creek all the time being it's source is snow melt. Leavitt Meadows Campground is another good one.

I'm up for doing a ride one of those days. Either Mt. Patterson, or showing whats out around Bodie/Aurora/Pine Grove. Is your 450 plated? What type of range do you get from a tank of gas?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #71
skag
ResistsEnlightenment

Oddometer: 348
Thanks for the info. Mrs. Skagg and I camped at Bootjack a couple of weeks ago and, yeah the dinn from 395 was significant.
I've got a plated 450 EXC and a 4.8 gallon tank( 200 mile range) no worries there. Is there one day that works better for you? Patterson would be great,it's been on my to do list for a couple of years.

Lemme know what day works.

Thanks
Steve
skag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #72
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Any one else up for doing Mt Patterson on either Saturday or Sunday. For the bigger twin cylinder bikes this would require TKC 80s on the rear - going up the west side there is a series of tight uphill switchbacks and up on top you have the shale gravel.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #73
00ridgerunner00
Adventurer

Mount Patterson

00ridgerunner00 screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 04:55 PM
Old 08-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #74
00ridgerunner00
Adventurer

That stone cabin is as far as we made it. We rode in the Pine Nuts all morning and took an interesting route to the base of the mountain. Late in the day and still needing to ride back to Sacramento - we turned around after my bike died half way up that steep white section of road above the plateau. Going back for the summit soon. Good introduction to Nevada dual sporting

Just posted my ride report: dezert newb ride, pine nuts to mount paterson.

Thanks again for all the info kdx - those washes you suggested were great. You ever need anyone to show you around over here near Sac / Auburn - we have some good stuff in my backyard - especially in the winter.

00ridgerunner00 screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 09:48 PM
Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #75
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,375
This coming sunday?

Pat,

I'm up for a ride this Sunday. That'll give me time to get the 450 ready. Three gallons gives me 100+ mile range, should be enough.

Pointman, working this week in HELL-a...
IBA #5
More Cowbell!
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote