ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #1051
Solemon Grundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
That's cool that you made it. A kid at work was upset on Monday because his buddy was in a real nasty crash on Sunday at that race.

I ended up having to stay home for lack of preparation, but the neighbor kid with a YZ250, some sweat pants and a pair of sneakers asked if I wanted to go riding. We ripped up to Peavine, froze for a few minutes and came back down through some new-found washes. Overall it was a cool day. Next time any of us meet at Estates I'll bring him along, coming from only riding on tracks, he loved a taste of side-hills and single track so he will definitely like what's out there.

I'm planning on riding Sunday, anyone local hit me up.
Solemon Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #1052
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Yeah it was a bad crash. Not sure, but I think he was in a coma but are hopeful he will come out it. I know everyone is pulling for him.

You saw the post from Sharpie, Anyone who wants to join us for dinner at Brunos is welcome. Sounds like a good headlight will be needed since there will be some night riding involved. Then camp at Frog Pond and out to Soldier Meadow to camp Sat. night. If our buddy Shadyatbest shows it could be a wild night of howling at the moon.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #1053
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solemon Grundy View Post
That's cool that you made it. A kid at work was upset on Monday because his buddy was in a real nasty crash on Sunday at that race.

I ended up having to stay home for lack of preparation, but the neighbor kid with a YZ250, some sweat pants and a pair of sneakers asked if I wanted to go riding. We ripped up to Peavine, froze for a few minutes and came back down through some new-found washes. Overall it was a cool day. Next time any of us meet at Estates I'll bring him along, coming from only riding on tracks, he loved a taste of side-hills and single track so he will definitely like what's out there.

I'm planning on riding Sunday, anyone local hit me up.
I thought I heard someone hooliganing it up in my backyard! I gotta stop being a boring homeowner and get out and explore here with some people.

Sidenote: anyone want to help me place landscaping rock?
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #1054
sharpie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
If our buddy Shadyatbest shows it could be a wild night of howling at the moon.
You going to let him ride your Adventure?
sharpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #1055
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1 View Post
You going to let him ride your Adventure?
I thought he would be the chase truck carrying the food and beverages.
Just order lights for the se. What's the long way to SM?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #1056
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 374
I iz in ur thread, cross-posting teh things:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=23514790

We're seeking advice on our Oakland to Death Valley route. We're looking for some dirt to break ... ahem... break *in* my buddy's 1190 Katoom along the way. Might be good to at least know who the locals are? That way when I set the 1190 on fire as a signal flare I know who will be bringing the beer and hotdogs

Old 02-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #1057
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Like Countdown said, check out his tracks at gpsexchange. It looks like he got it about all covered.
When are you planning this trip? If your looking for company I would be interested in tagging along for a day with the 950 se
Old 02-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #1058
Solemon Grundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
What a funny weekend. Took the neighbor kid up and over Peavine and on to Golden Valley...the kicker is that he had his 70lb friend on the back of his yz250 the whole time. Ah, to be a kid again and not care about personal safety.

I showed them the awesomeness that is Hungry Valley and the Sun Valley Recreational park (lots of berms and whoops) and they loved it. On the way back we ran into Drew! We talked a moment about a local landowner that is getting pissed about everyone riding the single track on his land. I don't see where it's marked as such but be on the lookout. He was pissed off.

I'm off to a tattoo convention next weekend, I'll keep an eye out for anyone riding in two weeks.
Solemon Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #1059
azimuth551
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Crap, that sounds like fun. My bike has been torn appart all winter doing the DRZ400 reliability fixes and adding a bunch of new farkles. Its all back together and actually runs so, I'm ready to hit some trails when I get back from work in three weeks. I need some trail training again!
azimuth551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #1060
drewh108
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
[QUOTE=Solemon Grundy;23544623]

On the way back we ran into Drew! We talked a moment about a local landowner that is getting pissed about everyone riding the single track on his land. I don't see where it's marked as such but be on the lookout. He was pissed off.

Based on the verbal lashing I got from a private landowner, as well as what Mark got, I'm thinking that it might be better to start meeting somewhere farther into the valley....away from all the private landowners if possible. I reviewed the map/sign at the entrance from Estates road, all the white is private.
drewh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #1061
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
[QUOTE=drewh108;23549329]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solemon Grundy View Post

On the way back we ran into Drew! We talked a moment about a local landowner that is getting pissed about everyone riding the single track on his land. I don't see where it's marked as such but be on the lookout. He was pissed off.

Based on the verbal lashing I got from a private landowner, as well as what Mark got, I'm thinking that it might be better to start meeting somewhere farther into the valley....away from all the private landowners if possible. I reviewed the map/sign at the entrance from Estates road, all the white is private.
Drew - Can you repost that photo somewhere? Where was this land owner that is pissed? I want to make sure I avoid that area.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #1062
rjnutt
Desert tortoise

Oddometer: 238
Springtime in February

Well, I was out watering my flower beds this morning and had an epiphany...screw the flower beds!!! So I saddled up and took off for a little ride 220 mile little ride The route I took would be a good big bike loop.

Took off from the homestead in Washoe Valley up and over Jumbo Grade to Virginia City, only 8.5 miles that way. Some pics along the way....

Yearling colt

Leach pads for the controversial open pit mine on the Comstock, VT Railroad cars in the pic to

After getting to VC drove down Six Mile Canyon to Fort Churchill Rd, only on pic along the river...forgot to take any of Fort Churchill itself..

Winter Rye looking good....

From there to Simpson Pass

Hooten Wells old Pony Express Site, not much left

Looking down on the Lahontan Valley (Fallon) NAS Fallon Tower in background.

No jets on either bombing range I drove by today...good thing since I lose track of time watching them tear the desert up.

Short bit of US 95 and then on to Weber Reservoir

Headed for Wabuska...and decided to go over the power line road back to Hooten Wells. Looking down on Lahontan.

From Hooten Wells back to US 95A to Churchill Cyn and up over Sunrise to Brunswick Cyn. Brunswick over the backway to Washoe Valley and home. Long day since I was just going up to VC for a beer.....

Lets ride, after this weeks storms the des should be great.
rjnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #1063
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to stay out here. I just got told to look for work on base, and there is some. oh boy oh boy I hope.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #1064
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Sweet ride Robbie! Maybe ill break the Transalp out and do a loop up there

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #1065
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
Same for me and my 990. Maybe a "Big Bike" sub group....