ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #1246
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
Sunday 950 ride. Sharpie and I, others are welcome to join in. Meet in Truckee and head up Henness Pass rd. and work are way west. Going to try and leave early.

Fletch,

What time, and where in Truckee on Sunday a.m.? I'm gonna try to make this happen Would like to ride with you guys.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #1247
Solemon Grundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
Dang, no paperwork for me in the mail yesterday, and I realized there will be no mail call or DMV today or tomorrow, so my hopes of riding as far as 89 still aren`t going to pan out. I`m getting frustrated and feeling like a major idjit for buying that bike- thought the title looked fine, but DMV said otherwise. When I talked to the person whose signature on a B.O.S. can straighten out my mess, he agreed, but it`s been almost two weeks now, and still haven`t seen the envelope I sent him come back. In the mean time, at least I`m able to sneak through my neighborhood and into the dirt for some enjoyable and much needed reacquaintence with dirt riding. Last weekend I farted around for a little while in the hills between Lemmon Vy and Sun Vy, then headed out towards Palomino Vy, finally scooted myself out to Doyle for a fuel top-off and a Coke before comming home. It was the first time I had ridden dirt since before I went in the army, many years ago, and I had forgotten what a blast it is.

Oh, and whoever said "Hopfully the Reno guys aren't checking out this thread. Don't want to know I don't know where I'm going." is busted!

Thanks for the offer George, I am going to stay local, don't wanna go south alone. With that being said I will be I'm the north valleys Saturday and Sunday. If anyone is there, hit me up. Desi, I'd be glad to meet ya. Don't worry, I'm not legal either.
Solemon Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #1248
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Fletch,

What time, and where in Truckee on Sunday a.m.? I'm gonna try to make this happen Would like to ride with you guys.

Brent
Sharpies leaveing Reno at 8:00. I have not talk to him on a rendezvous spot, but thinking 8:45 at Hirschdale gas station.

What say ye Sharpie.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #1249
sharpie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
Sharpies leaveing Reno at 8:00. I have not talk to him on a rendezvous spot, but thinking 8:45 at Hirschdale gas station.

What say ye Sharpie.
How 'bout just meeting us at 89 and Kyburz around 8:45? ...or Henness Pass and Stampede Dam Rd around 8:25 ish?
sharpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #1250
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

8:45 at 89 and Kyburz it is.
Just a heads up on the route I was thinking about.
To quote: "The lower extremities of Plumbago are rough and steep two track, if you take a 950 through there you better know what you're doing ;) "
Old 07-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #1251
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

George, just sent you an email.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #1252
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
I'm in. I will be at the Chevron at 8:00 if that is still good. Or??
Old 07-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #1253
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Takin' it North this August

Hello -

I'm planning a trip up to Canada and back this August. Start off by going up the High Rock Canyon and points beyond (Soldier, Peacock mine)

Any and all suggestions would be great - was thinking of the Owyhee Three Rivers crossing on the way back down....

my preliminary routing - about 2 1/2 weeks I figure.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #1254
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Nice. My project for this weekend went much faster than anticipated, it`s all done. Solemon, disreguard what I said via PM about not being able to go until evening. If you or anybody else are planning any no-plate-needed ride around the north valleys tomorrow, please holler. I`m going one way or another, but would prefer company.
bdesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #1255
sharpie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I'm in. I will be at the Chevron at 8:00 if that is still good. Or??
We'll see you there, me on my 950 and Mark on his 450 with my old transplanted 510 motor.
sharpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #1256
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkailua View Post
I'm planning a trip up to Canada and back this August. Start off by going up the High Rock Canyon and points beyond (Soldier, Peacock mine)

Any and all suggestions would be great - was thinking of the Owyhee Three Rivers crossing on the way back down....
I assume you`re asking in other threads for details in different parts of the route? I can`t tell very well from the big scale map what exactly you`re looking at, but in general it covers some great country.

Random comments: H.R.C. is killer. I used to visit frequently, but only once in recent years. Though the whole area used to be open for camping how ever and where ever you wanted, the last time through I noticed signs specifying where and how many campers were allowed in certain zones- would be a god idea to either check on that ahead of time or plan to camp outside the new protected area. If you ride between Soldier Mdws and H.R.C., you`ll pass through a tiny little canyon on the way (Fly Canyon) that doesn`t get much mention, but pull off and spend a half hour or so checking out the weird pocks and forms in the bottom that you can`t see from the road.

Looks like you have one line up to or down from OR, just on the NV sde of the NV/CA line and another down through the 40 Mile Desert and Carson Sink? There`s also a sort of gravel highway that cuts from Winnemucca to Gerlach, skirting the south side of the Blackrock Playa. Might be of interest to you. If you roll on any of the playas, it can be a lot of fun, but be careful of hidden mud just under the surface- usually a good idea to follow previous tracks in order to minimize surprises.

The area just north of Denio, south of Burns is another of my favorites in that general region- it incudes the Malheur Wildlife refuge, Hart Antelope Range, some neat lava beds around the former town of Diamond (currently just a B&B), and a great loop road up Steens Mtn and back that offers some truly breathtaking views over the Alvord Desert (another playa).

EDIT: Looking again at our map, I see it shows some route down from Jordn Valley to... the Midas-Golcanda road? If so, the malhuer area is way off your route, but I`d really love to see how you routed down from 3 Rivers for my own possible use in the future. Have a great trip!

bdesj screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 01:28 PM
Old 07-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #1257
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
This makes me think that us NV guys should put something together in the way of a Northern NV/OR ride. I've lived here 35 years but have ridden up there very little. Not quite bucket list item. But let's put something together.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #1258
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

^^No shortage of great offroad adventuring up that way. For a good taste, check out Hobbes`s 2013 and 2011 NV ride reports. They both touch on the routes that JPK asked about.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4741
Old 07-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #1259
F250Pal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853 View Post
Track gathering (small bike) ride to Mt. Patterson.

Leaves from Rhuenstroth (S. Gardnerville) @ 09:00..

Bring your thumper and your dirt skills. This is not a beginners ride..

PM me for details...

Pointman

In.
F250Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #1260
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
This makes me think that us NV guys should put something together in the way of a Northern NV/OR ride. I've lived here 35 years but have ridden up there very little. Not quite bucket list item. But let's put something together.
I'm in.