ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #1306
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanska View Post
New to the forum, not sure if I should start a new thread (it's not that interesting). I was driving down the 395 entering minden, south of Carson city when I saw a fellow 1200GS. I gave a friendly wave and a point saying "hay nice bike" in my head. As I turned away I noticed that his wave back was actually his middle finger! Shocked I looked back it was apparent that his personality enjoyed my double take, he later rode up next to me and asked if I was on this forum and I said that I wasn't really (I signed up but haven't really posted yet). I couldn't really hear anything else he said because I was wearing earplugs. I figured I would try to find him when I returned from my trip.

If anyone can help "name that rider" it would be greatly appreciated. (I have something to say to him )

It was August 1st, Bike looked like it had been through hell and back I'm guessing white or grey 09 r1200gs. Right pannier was ratchet strapped to his bike. Along with a fuel can. Black riding gear that looked like it has never been washed. He took the 88 exit heading south. Likely has a habit of flipping people off. :)
Hey Gmanska,

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #1307
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,224
Quote:
As I turned away I noticed that his wave back was actually his middle finger! Shocked I looked back it was apparent that his personality enjoyed my double take, he later rode up next to me and asked if I was on this forum
Don't be offended. Take a look at the photos on ride reports. For some unknown reason many Adv riders use the bird as their salute to other riders. They all appear to be adults at least in body but obviously not quite fully mature in the brain department.

A couple of other oddities are posting photos of food like this is some gourmet bulletin board and posting a photo of their crashed bike like it is some badge of courage. All my friends pick up their bike a quick as possible so no one can get a photo of it/them on the ground.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #1308
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
That bird thing bothers me too, and that's just from the pictures. I`d be pissed if somebody randomly flipped me off in person- don`t know what`s wrong with a friendly wave.
bdesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #1309
Gmanska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I wasn't offended as much as shocked. It was obvious that he was just having some fun and likely does it to every adv bike he sees. I actually wanted to complement him on his bike! It looks like he learned a lot of good technique on his beat up GS! It's something I will put off until the new wears off a little more.
Btw I found a very appropriate smiley . Hehe
Old 08-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #1310
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
That bird thing bothers me too, and that's just from the pictures. I`d be pissed if somebody randomly flipped me off in person- don`t know what`s wrong with a friendly wave.
So... you don't do much rational problem solving ever eh?

Why did that guy flip me off? I didn't do anything to him.... weird. *continues about day without giving it a second thought*
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #1311
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

I know. It`s part of the ADV territory and I just have to grin and bear it. Just wanted to let it be known that I don`t like that particular part of the territory either. Over and out.

Since I`m here...
I headed out after work yesterday morning with the idea of visiting Verdi Peak Lookout, which I haven`t been to in probably 15 years. I think I found the right road, but not sure- both my map and my vague memories had it as a pretty direct road with few or no turnoffs, but yesterday I had a lot of head scratching because there were several intersections between Henness Pass Rd and where I finally had to turn around. If I was in fact on the right road, it`s blocked by a large downed tree about a mile from the top. Is that the current Verdi Peak road condition, or was I off track?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #1312
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
I know. It`s part of the ADV territory and I just have to grin and bear it. Just wanted to let it be known that I don`t like that particular part of the territory either. Over and out.

Since I`m here...
I headed out after work yesterday morning with the idea of visiting Verdi Peak Lookout, which I haven`t been to in probably 15 years. I think I found the right road, but not sure- both my map and my vague memories had it as a pretty direct road with few or no turnoffs, but yesterday I had a lot of head scratching because there were several intersections between Henness Pass Rd and where I finally had to turn around. If I was in fact on the right road, it`s blocked by a large downed tree about a mile from the top. Is that the current Verdi Peak road condition, or was I off track?
I was up there about 1 1/2 weeks ago and there was no tree, so it sounds like you're on the wrong road.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #1313
generikal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Laugh Truckee ride

Made a quick video. It was fun out!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...2&id=692563781
generikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #1314
sharpie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
August 22-26

Fletch and I are doing a Southern Sierra loop, about 1200 miles with some side trips to see some sights. Leaving in the afternoon on the 21st and coming back on the 26th. Probably short notice but I'll throw it out there anyway, anyone interested in joining us let me know.

sharpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #1315
azimuth551
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1 View Post
Fletch and I are doing a Southern Sierra loop, about 1200 miles with some side trips to see some sights. Leaving in the afternoon on the 21st and coming back on the 26th. Probably short notice but I'll throw it out there anyway, anyone interested in joining us let me know.
Wow, sounds like a blast. Just wondering what kind of ride this is? Is it blacktop roads only or a mix dirt, and big bike stuff?

azimuth551 screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 12:48 PM
azimuth551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #1316
Gmanska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Which direction you heading. If you are going clockwise you'll be heading through my stomping grounds and up an area I would love to go through. I might meet up with you at the south end :)
Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #1317
sharpie1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth551 View Post
Wow, sounds like a blast. Just wondering what kind of ride this is? Is it blacktop roads only or a mix dirt, and big bike stuff?
A mix of everything, we will both be on 950's, I tried to make a route with as much dirt as possible, we'll be going through Bodie, Kennedy Meadows, Lake Isabella, Sequoias, Bass Lake, maybe Yosemite and quite a few other lakes along the way. There will be couple of short stretches on 395 but the rest of the pavement will be backroad twisties.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #1318
sharpie1
Adventurer

Quote:
Which direction you heading. If you are going clockwise you'll be heading through my stomping grounds and up an area I would love to go through. I might meet up with you at the south end :)
Clockwise. Where are you at? It would be great to meet some new faces along the way. My plan was to camp at Kennedy Meadows Saturday the 23rd but we never seem to keep to the script.

sharpie1 screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 09:18 PM
Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #1319
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the Verdi Peak info, Brent. I went back up Mon morning to look more carefully for a turnoff that I might have missed, found only one, and that ended up being a dead end- kinda fun semi-ST, though. I wonder what the chances are that the tree could have just fallen. Next time I go that direction, I`ll get my lazy butt off the bike and hike it a little past the blockage. At least I had more success with the Dog Valley to Peavine antenna complex routing than I had last week.

Anybody here planning some big bike dirt for the weekend?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #1320
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,224
Quote:
Sharpie, Have you looked my Statewide Motorized Trail System for CA on GPSXchange.com? Have GPS tracks form your loop ready to go.