ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #121
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
I can't make it today but I've ridden a route from VC to I-80. Came out atone USA parkway. I was on my 2001 F650 Dakar. Rough roads for that bike. Some head sized rocks. Bounced and shaken, lost a little too but a good ride.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #122
211john
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Just got back. Great day. We started out n/b from VC on a power line road. Pretty rough in spots. Pat took mercy on me and we turned left and ended up on 80 where the WM dump is. Then we stopped for lunch and headed over to Peavine. From there we wound around in the forrest west of Peavine and ended up at Crystal Peak mine. Then home.
211john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #123
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Those rough spots were more than just a little rough. Every time we hit the slightest downhill or uphill the road became strewn with rocks. Its that basic Nevada soil that seems to grow rocks. The roads see enough 4x4 traffic during the wet season that they have pulled the rocks free and they have just piled up. And of course, on these hilly sections, once side of the road had to always be rutted and the rut had to keep moving from one side to the other. The 'mercy' route was not much better.

Did you take a GPS cookie where we made the turn to the left? If so was it approximately N39 26' 18" w119 34' 47"? Looking at the powerline along Long Valley Creek in Topo 8 that looks to be the spot we turned. If it was, the road we were looking for was hidden from view, going up a draw about the point we saw the power line road climbing the hill off in the distance. That road up the draw would have taken us to the Lagomarsino Petroglyph site, asnd would have circled around to the Gooseberry Mill from the north and on our Ramsey Road to Silver Springs.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #124
211john
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Checking the gps your coordinates are right on for where we turned. The petroglyph site would have been cool to check out.
211john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #125
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

We need to go back there. Doing a google on the place and they say there are in the neighborhood of 5000 different panels in the area. Its in the National Registry of Historic Places and may be the largest concentration of Petroglyphs in northern Nevada.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #126
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Working while you ride :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
That road up the draw would have taken us to the Lagomarsino Petroglyph site, asnd would have circled around to the Gooseberry Mill from the north and on our Ramsey Road to Silver Springs.
Ok so I'm riding vicariously through you-guy's post here and using Google maps

I think if you went any further East you would have run into the old Hi-Shear rocket propellant operation's property and locked gates. It's been a while (like 20 years!) But the last time I went that way to try to get to Gooseberry Mine it was all fenced and locked just a ways past where y'all were.

I never did make it to the glyphs... that would be cool.

Did you guys go over the top of Peavine to get to Dog Valley or did you go around North or South? The aspens up top should be starting to turn soon.

Sounded like a nice ride, except for the rocks... I hit some of those the other day behind Damonte Ranch High School - tried to go up the road you see cut in the hill just North of the deep rugged canyon that's just North of the Damonte "D"... was too much trouble for me to do after a 12 hour shift so I gave up half way up. Damned rocks!! lol

P-P screwed with this post 09-07-2010 at 05:44 AM
P-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #127
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Yep. That V-C to I-80 ride is brutal. Not sure I'd volunteer to go on that section again. I remember being happy to get out to the road knowing I wouldn't have to go back up what I came down. LOL. it was years ago tho...
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #128
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,482
Nice visit

Had a great time visiting your state. Man, theres a whole lot of nothing in Nevada- beautiful! Through Reno down to Mina, out a random road to 89 and up through Ione to Austin. Back along 722 to Fallon and home. 3 days of good times.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #129
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-P
I think if you went any further East you would have run into the old Hi-Shear rocket propellant operation's property and locked gates. It's been a while (like 20 years!) But the last time I went that way to try to get to Gooseberry Mine it was all fenced and locked just a ways past where y'all were.

I never did make it to the glyphs... that would be cool.
Being doing some research on Hi-Shear and its interesting. Back in 50s Curtis-Wright picked up 140,000 acres of public land to build build a rocket research facility that never came into being. In 1987 Curtiss-Wright sold about 11 square miles of this, which included the petroglyphs, to Hi-Shear. After getting in trouble for EPA-type violations Hi-Shear sold the land to Aerojet, who sold it to TRW/Northup-Grumman, who transferred it to TRW Automotive who sold it to Virginia Highands LLC and it is now a 8,000+ acre parcel of land Cordvista LLC wants to develop into a housing track. Somewhere along the line 80 acres was split off for the preservation of the petroglyph site. The rest of that 140,000 acres is what became the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center.

It would be interesting to see what gates TRI has kept up.

For the bigger dual sports it would be a brutal ride. Doable, but brutal with all the rock hopping. I've got no problem taking the KLR back in, but then I'm a rock hound when it comes to dirt biking. Given a choice I'd rather not ride rocks, but being that rock sections are hard to avoid I've become a master of the art.

kdxkawboy screwed with this post 09-07-2010 at 01:28 PM
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #130
P-P
Adventurer

I got booted out of there in 1980 while I was driving my jeep... by a Sherriff on horseback! I thought I'd been transported back in time... he wore an old Colt single action army on his hip, spit chaw, and spoke with a real thick accent!

Then there was "deputy dawg" who was a caretaker for old man Mansfield at the Wunotoo ranch who would lob 22 rounds at tresspassers.. he would make sure to (try) to hit rocks and dust spots around your vehicle so that you realised it was a good idea to vamoose! Story goes that he actually hit a few rigs, but I could never verify that. lol He did chase me down when I was tooling along back behind Tracy heading for the Gooseberry mine -no shots fired, but boy was he crotchity!

I might be up for the ride as long as I get a "turn-around-at-any-time" pass for if/when I get skeered and want my mommy.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #131
ravine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Day rides near reno or truckee

A fellow inmate and I will be trailering our bikes to Truckee this weekend. We're looking to do some day rides starting from the Truckee-Reno area Saturday and Sunday. We'd like to ride mostly desert service roads and hopefully find some sand dunes. Any ideas? Anyone want to show us around?

We'll both be on plated dualsports. The other adv'er will be on a plated CRF-450 and is an experienced offroad racer. Unfortunately, I'll be the lesser experienced, but quite capable weak link and riding a much heaver KTM 690. So no singletrack or knarly rocks/ruts!

ravine screwed with this post 09-07-2010 at 04:07 PM
ravine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:29 AM   #132
P-P
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravine
A fellow inmate and I will be trailering our bikes to Truckee this weekend. We're looking to do some day rides starting from the Truckee-Reno area Saturday and Sunday. We'd like to ride mostly desert service roads and hopefully find some sand dunes. Any ideas? Anyone want to show us around?

We'll both be on plated dualsports. The other adv'er will be on a plated CRF-450 and is an experienced offroad racer. Unfortunately, I'll be the lesser experienced, but quite capable weak link and riding a much heaver KTM 690. So no singletrack or knarly rocks/ruts!
The nearest dunes that I know of are in either Sand Mountain - East of Fallon, or Sand Pass North of Winnamucca. There's lots of desert riding though - and lots out by Pyramid area that would be fun on your big rig.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #133
ravine
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-P
The nearest dunes that I know of are in either Sand Mountain - East of Fallon, or Sand Pass North of Winnamucca. There's lots of desert riding though - and lots out by Pyramid area that would be fun on your big rig.
Great! We've also been talking about riding the last few miles of Vegas-Reno race starting near Virginia city and making our way down to Bodie. Would that be a reasonable loop to tackle in one day? All the info I have for that route is a 4 year old map and some gps tracks that were downloaded from a post in Advrider. Am I correct in thinking Sand mountain would be a short diversion from the route?

Edit: I realize this might be a bit of a threadjack. Maybe I should create a new post in the "West..." sub forum.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #134
P-P
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravine
Am I correct in thinking Sand mountain would be a short diversion from the route?
I found a map of the race and it looks like you're gonna be within 10 miles, as the bird flies, from Sand Mountain. The mountain is just West of Frenchman.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #135
ravine
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-P
I found a map of the race and it looks like you're gonna be within 10 miles, as the bird flies, from Sand Mountain. The mountain is just West of Frenchman.
Thanks. The map I have from a few years ago seems to indicate that also. I'll do a little more refining of a proposed loop later today. If anyone wants to join in or show us around it looks like we'll be ready to ride around 10am Saturday and ride again around the same time Sunday morning.