User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Fuel Injector Cleaners

Does anyone add fuel injector cleaner to their f800gs or 650gs? Such as Chevron Techron or something to that effect? Is it a good idea to do so every so many miles as regular main't? Is there any harm in this?
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
NHRedleg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
After off season storage mine ran a bit rough on the Stabil-ized tank and then even on the first tank of fresh gas. I added some Sea Foam to the next tank and it cleared it right up. I use Sea Foam in the TW200 as well to keep the carb clean. It seems to be a bit of a snake oil when you read the can and all it claims to do, but it just seems to work when added to the fuel system.
'10 BMW F650GS (Wife's)
NHRedleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

sea foam is a bit "more" than i'm thinking. I'm wondering about general main't shit that you would throw in your tank every 3-5k or what not. Not that seafoam is a bad deal. Just something a bit more...i don't know, low key??
Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
NHRedleg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I see what you're saying. Though, I feel that if using a branded fuel you are getting as much detergent as you need. I personally stay away from "off" brand fuel and am using super, as I haven't had my computer re-mapped. Fuel today is full additives and detergents, especially in the higher grades. I think that routine use of an added cleaner is not really necessary, but do what you like it can't really hurt...just like why I started taking a baby aspirin daily when I turned 40.
'10 BMW F650GS (Wife's)
NHRedleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Oddometer: 42,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRedleg
if using a branded fuel you are getting as much detergent as you need.
+1
Bubba Satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRedleg
I see what you're saying. Though, I feel that if using a branded fuel you are getting as much detergent as you need. I personally stay away from "off" brand fuel and am using super, as I haven't had my computer re-mapped. Fuel today is full additives and detergents, especially in the higher grades. I think that routine use of an added cleaner is not really necessary, but do what you like it can't really hurt...just like why I started taking a baby aspirin daily when I turned 40.
Very true, although if you're in a neck of the woods where they put 10% ethanol in the mix, I'd recommend using Seafoam. Ethanol will gum up injectors quick. I don't know why, but others will probably be able to chime in here as to why. Use 1oz of Seafoam for every gallon of gas. So, for the F800GS, that's 4oz of Seafoam per tank, since it's a 4.2 gallon tank. It does wonders every other tank or every third tank. Runs smoother, better power delivery, etc.... it's a maintenance thing, cheap insurance. As a plus, you can get Seafoam everywhere.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
I use the following in all of my motors...every now and then. ALWAYS when I change my oil.
...and in no particular order of importance. It usually depends if I find one of these on sale. They all do the same thing, ultimately.

Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner
Sea Foam
Lucas Upper Cyl and Fuel System Cleaner
B12-Chemtool

Recently I have used the Chevron stuff as I found a buy one/get one at Auto-Zone, so I loaded up.

Knock-wood, but I've never had a fueling issue in my: bike (Ducati), bike (BMW), boat (Mercury), truck (Toyota), truck (Chevy), car (BMW), mower (Honda), riding mower (Tecumse)...and they're all up there in age and mileage ['cept the bike (BMW)]. I buy stuff for the long-haul.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I use chevron techron "fuel system cleaner". One ounce per gallon every 1,500 to 3,000 miles, just like BMW recommends.

12,000 miles on the clock, zero fuel injector, fuel pump and fuel level sensor problems.

P.s. You are not getting this detergent / alcohol corrosion preventative with branded gas unless your filling up at chevron or texaco stations because it is patented.

What you are usually getting at other stations, branded or not, is the formula in chevron techron "fuel infector cleaner" because tha patent is up on this formula. Note however, the old chevron stuff (fuel injector cleaner) does not protect against water/alcohol corrosion like the new stuff (fuel system cleaner) does.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #9
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

you guys are saying essentially 4 oz per tank, chevron system clean every so many miles or couple of tanks etc.

the bmw stuff, on ascycles, which has a container that looks exactly like the chevron techron container is 20oz and it states put the whole thing in every 3000miles. Seems like a lot but what do i know...
Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

not necessarily related to beemer cycles but still good beta

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...r-techron.html
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant
you guys are saying essentially 4 oz per tank, chevron system clean every so many miles or couple of tanks etc.

the bmw stuff, on ascycles, which has a container that looks exactly like the chevron techron container is 20oz and it states put the whole thing in every 3000miles. Seems like a lot but what do i know...

Their add must be wrong. The BMW stuff says right on the bottle "1oz per gallon"

Web link so I can get them to fix their ad?

5x streingth will damage rubber and plastic parts!
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

certainly.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/group...dc3760b7569123

I've also seen it in other spots referencing every 3k. The xoutpost thread above link i posted is for bmw cars etc, it was more for reference on the fact that chevron and bmw are the same.

Also, I've lately only found chevron complete fuel system cleaner, "new synthetic formula" in 10oz containers only.......any take on that?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
certainly.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/group...dc3760b7569123

I've also seen it in other spots referencing every 3k. The xoutpost thread above link i posted is for bmw cars etc, it was more for reference on the fact that chevron and bmw are the same.

Also, I've lately only found chevron complete fuel system cleaner, "new synthetic formula" in 10oz containers only.......any take on that?
Yes, Chevron "techron concentrate fuel system cleaner" is exactly the same thing in the same bottle as "BMW fuel system cleaner +"

Any adds saying "add the whole bottle to tank" are refering to cars with 12-30 gallon fuel tanks. 1 oz per gallon once every 3,000 miles is the correct dose, though adding more frequently won't hurt as long as you don't exceed 1 oz per gallon by more then double.

No idea what that new stuff is, but I have very high regards for chevron products, it's worth checking out.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

joel i've seen you pipe up in other threads, you seem to have a pretty good handle on alot of shit. Thx for your input.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
joel i've seen you pipe up in other threads, you seem to have a pretty good handle on alot of shit. Thx for your input.
I only wish Joel worked in a Denver store...