User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Thanks guys :)

And I would LOVE to work in Colorado even if for no other reason then the riding, but Denver is a great city!

I'm happy and connected to saint louis though, and like the guys I work with and for.

On the topic at hand, we just freed up a stuck fuel pump today. Bike was towed in and I'm pretty convinced techron would have prevented it.

Our district service rep strongly recommends techron and so do I.

Happy riding all.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #17
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
It is not a bad idea to add a fuel injector cleaner about every 3000 miles. I add Chevron Techron every 3K.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #18
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Sorry I haven't stopped to check, I have to go out of my way to get to these stations... can you get the Chevron fuel system cleaner at their respective fueling stations?

Thanks
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #19
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
After being hauled to my dealer twice, and new injectors installed, I have been adding the BMW techron fuel additive/injector cleaner. I add 4 ounces every three or four tank fills. Knock on wood. All good so far. OCLV
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #20
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Ender, yes, usually.

Oclv454, I am not pleased BMW fuel pumps are so sensitive to shit gas full of ethinol that is contaminated with water. I'm actually pretty pissed about it. But....... The USA is the only country that allows ethinol without the propper additives such as isopropyl alcohol to make sure water/ethinol does not fall out of suspension, combine with phosphorus and sulpher and turn into an acid that eats pumps that are not super corrosion proof.

The USA makes up what, 3% of bmw's market? The USA is the only market that BMW is experiencing large numbers of fuel pump failures. Even Brazil does ethinol better then we do with the proper additives.

I know it's a pain, but I truly believe the Techron will keep your fuel pump from corroding to death and plugging your injectors.

Please check back and let us know how it goes.

Good luck, I hope this works.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
So what is special about the Chevron "fuel system cleaner"?

Would like to know what I have to look for as that specific stuff is not available in Europe.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #22
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
[quote=LukasM

....that specific stuff is not available in Europe.[/quote]

That's because over here they offer us decent fuel.
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanI
Right. I guess that's why it doesn't cost us $7/liter. Yet.
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanI
Hi Alan,

I have heard that was well, but as I don't really read the German BMW forums I am not sure if that automatically means the F8 won't have any fuel pump problems over here?

Cheers
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #25
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
So what is special about the Chevron "fuel system cleaner"?

Would like to know what I have to look for as that specific stuff is not available in Europe.
The formula is patented so you won't find the chief ingredient in other products, but the only thing special relates to treating water contaminated ethinol oxygenated fuel.

The USA is the only country that allows ethinol oxygenated fuel to be sold that does not contain propper additives.

That said, other ingredients in techron are helpful for cleaning deposits from injectors and valves.

You can get chevron techron concentrate from any BMW dealer, car or motorcycle. It's relabled as "BMW group, fuel system cleaner plus" 82 14 0 413 341
Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #26
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
This is as much as they'll say about it: http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...tives/tcp.aspx
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #27
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Hi Alan,

I have heard that was well, but as I don't really read the German BMW forums I am not sure if that automatically means the F8 won't have any fuel pump problems over here?
I mentioned this to my dealer a few weeks ago when the bike was in for service. He didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned fuel pump problems, leaking coolant gaskets, problem cannisters (which we don't have fitted here anyway due to stricter emission laws) or in fact, chain/sprocket recalls. Either we are lucky or the fact that the bike was released later in Germany allowed them to discover all the problem areas first and rectify them prior to release. Who knows.
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Not sure on this question, but given that the container of techron is 10 or more oz, and for our bikes you only use a couple oz at a time the bottle could sit open for several weeks / months. Is there any issues with a bottle of bmw/techron sitting partially used on a shelf till it would be time again to use it?
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #29
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
Ender, yes, usually.

Oclv454, I am not pleased BMW fuel pumps are so sensitive to shit gas full of ethinol that is contaminated with water. I'm actually pretty pissed about it. But....... The USA is the only country that allows ethinol without the propper additives such as isopropyl alcohol to make sure water/ethinol does not fall out of suspension, combine with phosphorus and sulpher and turn into an acid that eats pumps that are not super corrosion proof.

The USA makes up what, 3% of bmw's market? The USA is the only market that BMW is experiencing large numbers of fuel pump failures. Even Brazil does ethinol better then we do with the proper additives.

I know it's a pain, but I truly believe the Techron will keep your fuel pump from corroding to death and plugging your injectors.

Please check back and let us know how it goes.

Good luck, I hope this works.
Thanks Joel... I think we talked about this in another thread as well but I wanted to report my findings. I recently added some of the fuel cleaner that I bought at a local Chevron (it was behind the counter next to the nudy magazines, where it should be).

The first thing I noticed was less of a "wobble" during idle of the entire system. I've been listening to the slight "off" in the rhythm of the engine and exhaust for a while but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. I also started to hear my valves more distinctly but this may be due to my paranoia. All in all I feel much better about my fuel system and I bought another bottle to add to my Civic and SV650SF!!! My poor '08 SV has over 24k miles on it and is definitely due for a full system tune-up as soon as my garage goes down to less than 120 degrees in the Texas sun...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #30
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
I recently added some of the fuel cleaner that I bought at a local Chevron (it was behind the counter next to the nudy magazines, where it should be).
Wouldn't filling up with Chevron gasoline with Techron be sufficient or do you have to buy there additive as well?
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote