Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,198
Tour of Idaho 2010: Sans Ethics & Character

Note on the subtitle:
Martin, the guy who created the Tour of Idaho route, argues that when people cut out some sections of his ride, it changes some of the "essential character" of the trip. I'm sure he's right, hence the "sans character." He also wrote a manifesto explaining how people who ride it like we do lack ethics.

In just over 48 hours we leave, for the second year in a row, to ride the Tour of Idaho, a route mapped out by Martin (motorcyclejazz) that goes from Utah to Canada via 1,300 miles of dirt roads and mountain trails (about 10% is on paved roads).

There is also the east-west version, which Martin recommends for dual sport bikes and girl scout troops. (When discussing this with my wife, my 13-yr-old argued that girl scouts are tough, and I had to agree to stop using "girl scouts" as a derisive term.) Dual sports aren't up to the longer route, so they say. One has yet to completed that route.

I'm starting to write this trip report now to procrastinate doing other things, like switching out my tires to new Dunlop 606s, fixing my dash, programming my radio, getting my truck ready.

Now that it's come right down to it, most of us truly don't have the time or money to go. Good thing we've already committed time and resources, and committed to each other, because it's that obligation that's pushing us to go through with it.

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 08-28-2010 at 02:38 AM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

We had a go at the Tour of Idaho last year, but decided to stop about 1000 miles into the ride.

Casualties from our 2009 Tour of Idaho trip:

1) "Help, I've been hit in the CDI unit! Timing . . . fading . . . aaargh."

2) "I think I'll stop and rest here, abruptly."

3) "I've got a 1927 DR350 hand crafted by Satoshi Suzuki himself, what could go wrong?"

This year we're determined to complete the trip, though we've made a few adjustments.

1) We're giving ourselves another day of riding. That will be 7 days riding and one (very long) day riding back. Martin, who created the route and drinks jet fuel instead of coffee, rides fast and hard. I think Martin and Co. mail changes of clothes to hotels to help them ride light and fast.

We just don't want to ride that fast (Rick is always stopping to smell the daisies anyway). The scenery is amazing, why not enjoy it? We'll add in the extra day by stopping a few hours short of Elk City to camp in the River of No Return Wilderness. The next day we'll shoot past Elk City and stay the night by Lolo Hot Springs.

2) Variation on Day 1: We've got absolutely no complaints about Martin's Day 1 route, but since we stay the first night in Lava Hot Springs (instead of Pocatello) we thought a longer route through the mountains east of Cache Valley would be a good idea. I've broken my footpegs three times in that area. It's not easier than the regular Day 1, just more miles. We meet up with the original route just south of Segwick Peak.

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 12:30 AM
Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

New Recruits:

Mark (Silver Horseman) is going to fly up from Tucson, AZ, and will be on his XR650R. He carved time out of work, school and family to ride most of the trip. After working Thursday he's jumping on a plane and flying into Salt Lake, where our dad is going to pick him up and drive him to Lava Hot Springs, (where his bike will be waiting). He'll ride 5 days with us, missing only the first and last days, and fly back home out of Spokane.

Rob picked up a KTM525.

Ryan rode with us last year on the first day. This year he'll ride with Rob the first three days. They'll leave the group in Challis. Rob and Ryan are neighbors of mine, and a third neighbor (another Mike) will probably ride at least the first day.

Paul cancelled a trip to China . . . to CHINA! . . . to ride with us, but then his inconsiderate brother decided to get married that weekend. Another rider, David, is also busy with work and a wedding so it looks like he's not coming.

Terran was going to ride a day or two as we passed west of Missoula, but apparently one month is too short of time to drill out and replace a broken bolt and put a new head gasket on. It's too bad the thing that ultimately is keeping him from riding is so solvable. The guy who agreed to work on the bike has been unmotivated to be helpful in the past, but apparently he's good at what he does, and we thought he'd get it done this time because a friend of his asked him. It would have been a simple thing to just tell us he couldn't/wouldn't be able to take the time to work on it. I need to quit venting. I don't know the guy, maybe his daughter has been undergoing chemo or something and here I am whining, I'm just frustrated.

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 11:14 AM
Old 07-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,551
Hopefully no casualties this year

Old 07-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Edited after the trip to say:

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 11:16 AM
Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
You are going to Oxford Basin?

When will you be at the start?

I'm thinking of just a day ride on Sat. for day 1 of the T1, scouting for a trip on the T1 mid Aug.

I can't wait for your RR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

I missed this, looks good.

2) Variation on Day 1: We've got absolutely no complaints about Martin's Day 1 route, but since we stay the first night in Lava Hot Springs (instead of Pocatello) we thought a longer route through the mountains east of Cache Valley would be a good idea. I've broken my footpegs three times in that area. It's not easier than the regular Day 1, just more miles. We meet up with the original route just south of Segwick Peak.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
motorcyclejazz
Banned

Oddometer: 209
Hmmmmn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR_520
I missed this, looks good.

If you have not ridden in and out of Oxford Basin, as you mentioned above, how do you know about the relative difficulty of your planned route vs. the actual route? Oxford Basin is one of the principal challenges on the TID and a big reason why it is a dirt bike, rather than a dual sport ride.

The last KLR I rode in and out of Oxford Basin was missing more than footpegs when it rolled into Downey :)'[
motorcyclejazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

When I ride the T1 in Aug I'll be on a TE610 or XRR, on the lighter end of dual sport with good suspension. This is up for change once we see the first day !!! Either bikes or Route.

When I ride into Oxford basin this weekend, it will be on a KTM525, I'll be checking it out with a light, good suspended and good powered Bike(good torque for less wheel spin). Other bikes I'm going with are 250 2 strokes(not the best for wheel spin, but light), CRF230f and maybe a WR250R. Most of us have lots of time climbing the badlands outside of Rock springs, it sounds like a good challenge.

I haven't seen lots of photo's from there, I'm guessing hands are full and busy for a lot of the basin.

We'll send in the young guns first,lol.

Dread's RR have lots of Pictures, I can't wait to see them.

Rock on Dread and crew, good luck, it's bound to be a good adventure.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Silver Horseman
I'm your Huckleberry

Oddometer: 9
Tour of Idaho

After having grown up in Idaho and then moved out of state 14 years ago, I am looking forward to this tour and spending quality time in some of the most remote areas that Idaho has to offer.

Too many people talk about "someday" going on an adventure ride like this one BUT they never really do it. Some of us have had experiences in life that have reminded us that we need to make every day count and quit putting off for the future what can be done today.

Remember:

The road to "someday" leads to the town of nowhere. (Don't forget the GPS)

Everyman dies, not every man really lives. (I don't plan on dying on this trip)

Opportunity favors the prepared. (I'm sure I will forget something)

It is easier to get forgivness than it is to get permission. (Don't tell my wife I said that)

Seize the day! OR you can always go to work, pay the bills, go home, go to work, pay the bills, go home, (.....enjoy your boring life.....)

Thanks Martin for putting the route together and thanks Mike for putting a little pressure on me to get involved and be commited. (Everything worth wile in life involves a little pressure)

Mark

RIFF RAFF 2011 Jonah Street
Silver Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
I traveled a lot of this area having grown up down there. I have been thinking about doing this trip but I am woefully out of shape and I am not getting any younger.

I am in for this report, bring it
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

moved to end of trip discussion

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 11:16 AM
Old 07-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

What ever you call it, or wherever you ride, your crew lives an Adventure. I can't wait for the pic's, video and the best part, the STORY.

Have fun
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #14
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Waiting for updates...

sure sounds like an awesome trip....
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
CYCLE_MONKEY
Crazy Italian

Oddometer: 24
Have fun, and best of luck! I saw the twisty route and thought sportbike route, but no, it's dirt......damn!
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote