User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,220
Dual Sport Tires on an R1100R?

My wife and I are planning a trip next summer up to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and Glacier. Me on my 1150GS, she on her 1100R. Her bike currently has Metzler RoadTec or SportTec tires on them. I'm looking for something that will fit her 1100R with a more aggressive tread pattern. It doesn't have to be as aggressive as TKCs.

Not really looking to take it off-road. Just wanting to handle general gravel roads. In our riding around the south, she's a real trooper and will take her 1100R down 5-10 miles of gravel roads and small stream crossings, when my route accidentally includes a gravel road. I'm looking for something that will give her a little more sure-footedness and deeper tread pattern to minimize the chance of puncture due to gravel roads. For when the GPS puts us on a gravel road for 10 miles or when something looks really scenic and the only way to get there is gravel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,330
Your choices are pretty limited due to the 11R's wheel size, but I believe Avon Distanzias are available in 17 inch front and rear sizes that would work.
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,563
Pirelli MT60 will work on the front.

Rear 18" might take a little more research. they exist but not in the 160/60-18 profile.

You can start here.

http://jorgenson.smugmug.com/gallery...24678664_LpXar
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok
Pirelli MT60 will work on the front.

Rear 18" might take a little more research. they exist but not in the 160/60-18 profile.

You can start here.

http://jorgenson.smugmug.com/gallery...24678664_LpXar
Thanks for the info. I did find that Metzler has a Karoo that's 150/70 R 18, along with the Conti Trail Attack. which would translate into about 1cm of greater circumference.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
motorcy
motorcy

Oddometer: 20
yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu
Thanks for the info. I did find that Metzler has a Karoo that's 150/70 R 18, along with the Conti Trail Attack. which would translate into about 1cm of greater circumference.
i'm running conti road attacks right now and the should be called something else....i like them for street. not so much for gravel. i like avon distanzias way more for gravel,like them for street too. the conti's rear is good .but the profile of the front tire makes it extremely sensitive . It turns in almost too easily. AND it wobbles if you take your hands off the bar. at around 40 and 30 mph. and no..it's not that uncommon for these tires to do this...some people hate them...but they are wearing well though. just more opinions for ya~
motorcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Karoo's are pretty soft and noisy. The Trail Attack isn't much of a dual-sport tire but they are durable.

You can also run a 140/70-18 but I don't know what tubeless types are available in that size.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
not sure of the sizes but the distanzias are prolly your best bet. good tire for light gravel but not a whole lot more. they also handle very well on the street.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

You could also put a 17" rear wheel on it (I think some 1150 wheels work). That would let you put any GS fitment on the rear.

I've seen wheels pretty cheap on fleabay.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok
You could also put a 17" rear wheel on it (I think some 1150 wheels work). That would let you put any GS fitment on the rear.

I've seen wheels pretty cheap on fleabay.
good suggestion, I'll take a look at that. According to grassrootsbmw's tire fitment guide, it shows some 1100Rs with 17" rear wheels, I'll look for them too.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips
not sure of the sizes but the distanzias are prolly your best bet. good tire for light gravel but not a whole lot more. they also handle very well on the street.
That's pretty much what I'm looking for. something to make a 4-5,000 mile round trip. planning to be all/almost all paved road, but something that could handle about 200 miles of gravel over the course of the trip. she's really good about maintaining her own pace and riding safely when we do run into unexpected gravel, but I'm hoping to find something to make it feel more sure-footed than the Metzler RoadTecs
Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
good suggestion, I'll take a look at that. According to grassrootsbmw's tire fitment guide, it shows some 1100Rs with 17" rear wheels, I'll look for them too.
Here's a fleabay wheel that looks like would work....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/bmw-r...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 603
Nope that is an R1100R/RT/RS wheel. You want a K1200LT/RS 5" not the 5.5" rear wheel. I have one on my R1100RT. I have a spare or two kick around if you are interested.
BMW did not make a three spoke 17" rear. The problem with R1150R rear wheels is the rotor. R11R rotor is bolted to the final drive, R1150R rotor is bolted to the wheel.
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinVA
Nope that is an R1100R/RT/RS wheel. You want a K1200LT/RS 5" not the 5.5" rear wheel. I have one on my R1100RT. I have a spare or two kick around if you are interested.
BMW did not make a three spoke 17" rear. The problem with R1150R rear wheels is the rotor. R11R rotor is bolted to the final drive, R1150R rotor is bolted to the wheel.
Cool, somebody who knows what will fit.

Maybe Disco Stu will be interested in one of your spares!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
slashbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
You could try throwing a set of 11xxGS wheels on the 11R...then all your problems will be solved. The fork lowers are the same between the R and GS, so the front will fit. Rear, there wont be a problem with fitment as it's the same swingarm and final drive. R1100R's dont look bad with spokes...
slashbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #15
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashbike
You could try throwing a set of 11xxGS wheels on the 11R...then all your problems will be solved. The fork lowers are the same between the R and GS, so the front will fit. Rear, there wont be a problem with fitment as it's the same swingarm and final drive. R1100R's dont look bad with spokes...
Once again the problem is the rear rotor. R11xxGS wheels have the rotor bolted to the wheel. You would need to change the final drive or at least the cover.
The R1100RTP and R1100R had spoke rear wheels however they were 18" (as options)
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote