Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #16
BMWSaint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Rob
Tell us about your issues with the spoke wheels on 1200GS BMW's.
Wobbles?
Vibration?
Tire blaming?
Tell us how you got yours repaired by BMW.
Replace wheel?
Was it good?
I know Woody's can fix them. but who pays when your bike is under warranty?
Bob:

My '07 laced wheels have always taken a year's run from a small lead mine to balance. So I had my Dealer look at this before my warranty expired. Guess what?!! My wheels are just 'within spec' according to BMW.

Woody's can correct this for a reasonable fee and, no, BMW will not be footing the bill.

Good luck!

Saint
'09XR1200, '12 R1200GS
BMWSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #17
webwalker
Monitor monitor

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
First you have a GS not the Adventure and I did not know they came with spoked tubless BMW wheels..
They do for an extra $500.

Spokes on my '05 and now on the '10. No problems so far. Well, other than than the EXPs that came stock on the '10. Now the rear is worn out in 5k miles. Damn spoked wheels!

webwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #18
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
No trouble with the spokes bent a rim, broke the fog light bracket and the tab on the snorkel to the airbox, all on the same pot hole, but the spokes were fine
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years

mitch screwed with this post 07-21-2010 at 07:25 AM
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #19
marcus-st12
frenchy

Oddometer: 209
60000km on my 06 gs and seem to have a flat spot on the front wheel...tought it might be bad balancing, so rebalanced with new tires and still a wobble at about 60km/hr....will be taking the wheel apart and sending it to woody this winter because my bmw dealership said they recomend changing the wheel but way too pricy....
marcus-st12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #20
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,556
2005, 30,000 miles, Cracked front rim at the seam. Replaced by Woody's.

Both rims were out of true and round. Never off-roaded the bike.
05 R1200GS, 01 GL1800A, 99 ATK490, 93 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #21
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Curious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleetho
2005, 30,000 miles, Cracked front rim at the seam. Replaced by Woody's.

Both rims were out of true and round. Never off-roaded the bike.
These were stock spoked BMW wheels? What tire pressures did you use?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #22
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 763
Mine went to Woody's

The verdict: Both wheels were "wacked" - Woody. He identified flat spots on the same side for front AND rear wheel. According to Woody, it was likely due to an impact during a ride. For me letting air out of my tires in an off road situation is a thing of the past. I'd rather deal with reduced traction than have another $636 bill.
However, there were also numerous divots that required machining. The cause: sloppy work out of the manufacturing plant is to blame.

pgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #23
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleetho
Replaced by Woody's.
Also, what type was it replaced with? Does Woody's sell BMW wheels? I'm looking for a new (to me at least) spoked front wheel for my 12GS.

Hmmm... looks like I'll have to find their phone number.
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #24
GSman of La Mancha
So!? My dog loves me...

Oddometer: 602
40,000 so far

I have 40k miles on my 05 GS with spokes. A couple of spokes have needed be tightened once. Otherwise no issues.

I think spokes are great if you think you will ever hit anything - like a roack when riding off road or a big pot hole on asphalt. I dont go off road much but i have had a few potholes sneak up on me over time.

SPokes do better than mag rims in taking punishment. If you have never had an issue with mag wheels and you dont go off road much then the cheaper mags might be a better option for you.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 615
OK, I'll bite!

08 GSA, wheels out of spec from new. BMW replaced only the rear one 4 times to get nothing but shitty ones with the same problem, out of true and flat spots on both front and rear. BMW dealer tried to true wheel and it got worst. Finally they conceeded to the BMW Rep and said there was nothing more they could do. I had to settle for what I had as they " were within BMW spec"!
I dissagreed and Sent them to Woody. He said they were within BMW's spec but not his so he got them almost perfect. I couldn't be happier as the vibration is gone!

I have been running them a little this year but just swapped them out again for a spare 09 cast set I got from a guy on Ebay so I just run them on the tarmac. I have the spoked ones with knobbies ready for the TLH next month....I won't be airing down, Period! They are a good design but not assembled well, lacking QC IMHO and could be perfect...

No BMW won't cover the fix but I think the money spent was well worth the price of no vibration at speed. Thanks Woody. I have been enjoying the GSA much more these days without issue...

Oh, I have 27,000kms on the bike!

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #26
Iraj
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Loose Spokes

I just turned 6000 miles on a 2009 1200 GS with wire wheels. Went off road and over a few potholes, but nothing too serious or fast. I've been over worse on paved roads. Got back on the highway, and the front wheel was out of round. It was immediately noticeable at speed, and visible as a depression more than a deflection. Several spokes were (what I'd call) loose (remembering my R100GS).

Question: Should the 600 mile service have addressed the spokes?

Question: Has anyone experienced loose spokes from the factory?
Iraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #27
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
They wouldn't have checked the spokes at the 600 service and I have never experienced loose spokes from the factory.

Remember if you do attempt to snug them up that there is a grub screw in the spoke nipple that you have to loosen first.

And - don't over do it as you can screw them up in an instance and they are very hard if not impossible to true unless you have a rig and expertise like Woody.

It's under warranty - take it back - most times the dealer will replace the entire wheel as it is too hard and costly to true them up.

Good luck.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #28
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
thanks for the attaboys and a few more thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean
They wouldn't have checked the spokes at the 600 service and I have never experienced loose spokes from the factory.every dealership i've worked at has ''check spokes'' on their 500 and 1000 mile check,,,because that's when most of the seating in an consequent spoke loosening occurs....i seriously doubt that it's not on the check-list
Remember if you do attempt to snug them up that there is a grub screw in the spoke nipple that you have to loosen first.
good advice....those lil grub screws have bit more folks in the ass,,me included...not knowing they were in there set me back several years in finding the mystery of the X-lace wheel repair

And - don't over do it as you can screw them up in an instance and they are very hard if not impossible to true unless you have a rig and expertise like Woody. 10-4
It's under warranty - take it back - most times the dealer will replace the entire wheel 10-4,,,,that's because it is cheaper for themas it is too hard and costly to true them up.i have many BMW dealers BWOE send me their customers wheels that have been messed up during tire swaps etc ,,they send in the new rim and and damaged wheel and i have it back to them same day/next day truer and tighter then the ones they send in ,,,and that goes for brand new rims they send in ,,,,like ya read above and my own experience confirms this fact ,,ie,,brand new replacement rims more often then not are as bad or worse than the wheel being traded in or repaired!!!...cost $180-200repairing the weld area divots is $25-50..we only repair divots over .035'' deep,,,FYI,,,,.050''-.060'' is about average and they range from .020'' if you are lucky to .080'' for the worst ones

Good luck.
considering $1250 is the average cost for your X-laced wheels,,i'd say fixing em is a sound no-brainer investment ,,,,especially if they come back truer,, with seated spoke heads and the divots filled and machined.

the other part of the equation is that if the rim is bent which i can tell in a heartbeat on my surface table,[after loosening all the nipples],i can straighten the majority for less than 1/3rd of a new one [circa$400]....now if the rim is bent ,please don't ask BmW to warranty it,,,they do not bend on their own ya know

and now to
Iraj [I just turned 6000 miles on a 2009 1200 GS with wire wheels. Went off road and over a few potholes, but nothing too serious or fast. I've been over worse on paved roads. Got back on the highway, and the front wheel was out of round. It was immediately noticeable at speed, and visible as a depression more than a deflection. Several spokes were (what I'd call) loose (remembering my R100GS).sure symptoms of possible bent rim or one that took a big hit....it may or may not be bent . your wheel needs all the spokes loosened and rim placed on surface table...any wobble shows the exact place of the hit..straightenable usually

Question: Should the 600 mile service have addressed the spokes? i ascert they should have found the loose spokes ,,,snugging them up is better then having them loose and ya run the risk of making the wheel if even more untrue

Question: Has anyone experienced loose spokes from the factory?]I've never heard of it nor experienced it myself...the known anomalies IMHO have their source in sloppy humans at the controls of the divot grinder as well as the assembler not seating the heads of the spokes....the little serrated edges used to keep the straight spoke from spinning come in various heights depending on how new/crisp the punch/die is.....you're lucky if the 40 spokes came from the same bunch= even seating versus some from a new and some from a worn die= uneven seating with the consequence that when you ride 500-1000miles your wheels will get ever more out of true
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-11-2010 at 01:43 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #29
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
I smacked a rock at speed and found a flat spot and loose spokes after the ride.
I snugged up the spokes and had no problems.

Later I found a wheel way out of round with a lot of side to side run out. I called Woody and was ready to ship off my wheel for repair. Then my friend who I bought the tire changer and balancer with told me he bent the rod for the balancer. With a new unbent rod my wheels were fine. 32,000 miles.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 379
Mine were out of round. New ones dealer ordered were worse, so I sent them off to Woody's. 35,000 miles later they are still perfect.

Joe