Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #76
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,305
'07 R1200GS that shakes and shudders on braking...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik3r1
I just purchased a used 07 GSA with 18k miles and it also has wheel and brake issues. Checked the front wheel and found it to be .065" out in the worst place, probably the weld from what I've read here. Also the left rotor is .0035" out! The bike seems to roll along fairly well with some vibration in the handlebars and then really gets shakey with a light touch on the front brake and not so much when applying more pressure. Before I start buying new parts thought I would check in here to see what the opinion of the group is considering the numbers.
I also have an 05 GS, it has 35k on it and none of the issues that the 07 has. Are the wheels and brake rotors interchangable between these two bikes? I know that the ABS sensor ring is different, anything else?
Thanks for any help you can offer!
welcome to X-laced wheel ville,,,you are not the first to note those anomallies...

FYI,you happen to be rather lucky because you can quickly swap out your two front wheels and check the shake and shudder issues your '05 front wheel ..your problems should reverse...

FYI ,,,alot of the shake ing comes from your rear wheel transferring its out of roundness to the handlebars via the frame ,especially in sweepers..all correctible

don't worry about the ABS rings for the sake of the test,,,i believe they will simply show an error code....
holler if ya need more help

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #77
bik3r1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Thanks

Thanks Woody.......I did try the 05 wheel on the 07 and it was much better, however pretty brief test as I was unsure at the time about the compatibility of the two wheels. I'll try it again on both bikes and see what happens.
Also checked your web site, you are just up the road a ways, probably be coming to see you!
Do you have a local supplier for rotors, I'm struggling to find correct fitment?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #78
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik3r1
Thanks Woody.......I did try the 05 wheel on the 07 and it was much better, however pretty brief test as I was unsure at the time about the compatibility of the two wheels. I'll try it again on both bikes and see what happens.
Also checked your web site, you are just up the road a ways, probably be coming to see you!
Do you have a local supplier for rotors, I'm struggling to find correct fitment?
we have it all and the door is always open
w
Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #79
nuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I'm new to all this stuff -

I just bought a new 2010 GS Adventure, haven't even put 150 miles on it yet.

Went out and plucked all the spokes on both wheels and they all make different notes. They all seem tight and none of them made "dud" sounds and I haven't found any noticeable vibrations running down the road.

Is this a sign of the loose QC you speak of?
nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #80
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

what's important n not so important,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke
I'm new to all this stuff -

I just bought a new 2010 GS Adventure, haven't even put 150 miles on it yet.

Went out and plucked all the spokes on both wheels and they all make different notes. They all seem tight and none of them made "dud" sounds and I haven't found any noticeable vibrations running down the road.

Is this a sign of the loose QC you speak of?
IMHO,,,if the bike is sitting on the ground when you checked em,,,you will be getting a bunch of different sounds,,because your bike is hanging from the upper half of the rim,,,the ones to the front n rear are keeping your rim from bulging out and the lower ones are waiting their turn to do some work....

'mo better to have your bike on the stand ,,give your front wheel a quick spin and observe if the wheel is hopping around or hopefully look like its nice n steady/even as it spins,,,get a screwdriver or small wrench and ping the spokes in 4 sets ie the 10 going clockwise on each side of the bike as well as the 10 going CCW on each side,,,the 10 going in each direction should really sound the same...an indication that they are all pulling equally in one direction,,,and so it goes for the other 3 sets,,,,

the duds of course are looser and need tightening,,,a whole different topic and ball-game,,,your wheel will settle in anywhere from circa 200-1000 miles depending on the size of the little serrated edges under the head of the spoke that keep the spoke from spinning while tightening,,,,,if the lthese little serrations are all the same length you are lucky,,the wheel should seat/settle in evenly,,,if not you wheel will slowly go out of true as the spokes settle in

do the same on rear,,,me i usually have someone hold the front end down ,,start the bike ,,put it in first and watch the rear as it spins,,,should me nice n smooth,,,repeat above procedure,,,,

so that's the nitty gritty of checking your X-laced wheels...

FYI,,i recently found the very first post i ever did in this forum as the result of one of the former inmate hounding me to share my hard earned knowledge about these X-laced weheels ,,for your perusal:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70578

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 04:53 PM