User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #1
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Oddometer: 11,508
Which events should be posted here?

I am confused: the Annual ADV rallies are now mixed between RAs, MOA's and African Rallies. It's really hard to figure out what are ADV events and outside "vendors".

How about having a ADV Rallies forum (organized on ADV for ADV members) and do the "other rallies/events" as a subforum?

Cuttle screwed with this post 06-13-2015 at 11:07 AM
Cuttle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
Mark_O
Drain Bamaged

Oddometer: 17,453
Great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I am confused: the Annual ADV rallies are now mixed between RAs, MOA's and African Rallies. It's really hard to figure out what are ADV events and outside "vendors".

How about having Rallies (organized on ADV for ADV members) and do the other rallies as a subforum?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 18,364
Since she is one of the major players in rally planning, I think Cuttle's point of view should be strongly considered.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 12,499
I have filed a complaint...Last week.

Reto must be travelling.. no clean up for awhile.

But damn Africa...sounds like a blast
1 Peter 2:16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
BDXMPL
The Sheriff

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
Since she is one of the major players in rally planning, I think Cuttle's point of view should be strongly considered.
I agree. Of course, I have to agree, or else I'll go hungry.

Hunter
Old 06-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,861

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oh...

Full scale change...Missed that little tidbit.

Be like water not the rock,

Skip the crap, bump the important EVENTS
1 Peter 2:16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .
Old 06-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 32,178
Everyone, we are doing a lot behind the scenes and your concerns are being addressed. Just hang in there.

Also, please feel free to make suggestions, and this thread is as good a place as any.

Who wants to go to their grave without any scars? - tjconc
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #9
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Everyone, we are doing a lot behind the scenes and your concerns are being addressed. Just hang in there.

Also, please feel free to make suggestions, and this thread is as good a place as any.

Incoming voice of reason....

It will be A-Okay

ADV Events segregated just like the old old south

Thanks pilot
Old 06-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 18,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDXMPL View Post
I agree. Of course, I have to agree, or else I'll go hungry.

Hunter
We know what side our bread is buttered on.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #11
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
We know what side our bread is buttered on.

Kenny and PJ will feed him...

Nothing to worry about
Old 06-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 9,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post

Hahaha, this is Pilot's diplomatic way of saying, "Baldy got an urge to combine Upcoming with ADVrider Annual Rallies and did it before many people got a chance to weigh in."

No worries, happy to make adjustments.

As part of Rebooting ADVrider, I'd like to simplify and clarify where we can. The thing with having both ADV annual and Upcoming on the homepage is it made new users think. They have to read announcements to understand.

There was a thread in Upcoming, for example, 2nd Annual International ADV Girls Gathering. But in the ADV annual rallies forum there are some that sound like someone's personal rally. And Upcoming had relatively low post and thread counts.

I thought AceRph had a good idea: "Old time users have less of a problem figuring out which rallies are traditional ADV events. Maybe we can suggest that ADV rally threads be prefaced w/ 'ADV' in the title. It would make it easier for new users to find them."

Any merit to that idea? And Cuttle, thanks for all the organizing you do. The announcements for Rick's Eastern Rendezvous are awesome.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Oddometer: 11,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Hahaha, this is Pilot's diplomatic way of saying, "Baldy got an urge to combine Upcoming with ADVrider Annual Rallies and did it before many people got a chance to weigh in."

No worries, happy to make adjustments.

As part of Rebooting ADVrider, I'd like to simplify and clarify where we can. The thing with having both ADV annual and Upcoming on the homepage is it made new users think. They have to read announcements to understand.

There was a thread in Upcoming, for example, 2nd Annual International ADV Girls Gathering. But in the ADV annual rallies forum there are some that sound like someone's personal rally. And Upcoming had relatively low post and thread counts.

I thought AceRph had a good idea: "Old time users have less of a problem figuring out which rallies are traditional ADV events. Maybe we can suggest that ADV rally threads be prefaced w/ 'ADV' in the title. It would make it easier for new users to find them."

Any merit to that idea? And Cuttle, thanks for all the organizing you do. The announcements for Rick's Eastern Rendezvous are awesome.
I think the new format will definitely attract much more announcements than the old upcomig, which never really had many posts (most are in regionals anyway).

My worries about the combined area is, that it will turn into a bump-fest so people keep their event on top. The old format was "at a glance" without scrolling, so nobody got buried or bumped to a second page.

Also, I am sure the old-timers will figure out what is an adv rally and what is not; but we do have at least 20% n00bs each RDV, and it will get harder to reach these folks. If there would be only a couple of ADV rallies, I'd say sticky them, but I don't think it would be an option with the 10+ we have right now. Maybe there is an option to color-code ADV rallies?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #14
delta21
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
I liked the old format. I think the combination makes it confusing and hard to find the "official" ADV events. Maybe Sticky the current years' events.

My .02
delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #15
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 9,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I think the new format will definitely attract much more announcements than the old upcomig, which never really had many posts (most are in regionals anyway).

My worries about the combined area is, that it will turn into a bump-fest so people keep their event on top. The old format was "at a glance" without scrolling, so nobody got buried or bumped to a second page.

Also, I am sure the old-timers will figure out what is an adv rally and what is not; but we do have at least 20% n00bs each RDV, and it will get harder to reach these folks. If there would be only a couple of ADV rallies, I'd say sticky them, but I don't think it would be an option with the 10+ we have right now. Maybe there is an option to color-code ADV rallies?
Hmmm, good points.

I'm happy with the decision to pull Upcoming from the top level and change it from a confusing name. Under Rallies, we could have two subforums: one for ADV rallies and a second one for other rallies (but with a better name).