Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
eddyturn OP
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,656
Garmin 478 quick connect/disconnect

I got a new Garmin 478 unit some time ago before I even got this bike because from all the postings I saw this would be the hot ticket GPS to have. I have finally gotten the bike and installed it on the bike but I want to be able to disconnect it from the direct power source when done for the day/trip. However, I worry that the 9 pin connection will wear out all too soon if I plug and unplug it all the time.

I remember seeing a post from long ago about some ways that other users of the 276-478 types of units made a quick connect in the cables but cannot find that thread using the totally cool ADVR search function.

Would any of you be able to share info on how you have dealt with this issue? I am not an electrical whiz and not sure what I would find in the cable when if I were to cut it. I have the power/data cable combination and like I said would really like to cut down on the wear and tear on the back plug in to the unit.

GPS City and Garmin were of no help on this one and stated there is nothing pre-made for this situation.

Eddy
Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,986
Is this what you're thinking of?

I run a female Coax connector up to my bars (gotten from Gerbing Heated clothing) and cut and solder this male coax connector to a cable that had a cigarette lighter connection on it. I didn't use the cables that came with the unit because they are so much more bulky. Dedicated cigarette cable is pretty thin and works nicely.

You can buy this from Gerbing, which has both ends that you need. Just remember to put an inline fuse between the unit and the battery.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
MisterMo
mach schnell!

Oddometer: 272
Thanks. I'm all too and am going to do the same modification. What size fuse would you suggest? And since I don't have any Gerbings, which female coax connector did you use?

Thanks for the fabulous tip and advice!
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -Mark Twain, Innocents Abroad

09 R1200GS/A, 93 R100GS/PD
MisterMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMo
Thanks. I'm all too and am going to do the same modification. What size fuse would you suggest? And since I don't have any Gerbings, which female coax connector did you use?

Thanks for the fabulous tip and advice!

I just ordered the "extension cord" from Gerbings web site. All the coax cables they use are the same fittings.

I use a small fuse. I think the adapters come with 2.3 or 3 amp fuse.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
MisterMo
mach schnell!

OK, let's see if I have this straight:
1-you already had the Gerbings female coax cable connected to your battery. (Gerbings Battery Harness Item: SKU, [A-0-21], $9.95)
2-you ordered the coax cable from Gerbings (Extension cord 3 feet Type: 36 inch, [A-0-34-25], $9.95)
3-you cut the cigarette plug off the 478 cigarette power supply
4-you cut the extension coax cable in half (approx)
5-you soldered the male end of the Gerbings coax to the open end of the Gamin cig power cable.

Where I'm stuck:
1-You say you didn't use the cables that came with the GPS, so where did you get the plug that goes into the back of the unit?
2-Did you solder the female end to something? I expect you just used the Battery Harness, right?
3-On the Gerbings coax, how do you know which is positive and which is neg?

Sorry for being so dense. And thanks again.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -Mark Twain, Innocents Abroad

MisterMo screwed with this post 07-28-2010 at 02:47 PM
Old 07-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMo
OK, let's see if I have this straight:
1-you already had the Gerbings female coax cable connected to your battery. (Gerbings Battery Harness Item: SKU, [A-0-21], $9.95)
2-you ordered the coax cable from Gerbings (Extension cord 3 feet Type: 36 inch, [A-0-34-25], $9.95)
3-you cut the cigarette plug off the 478 cigarette power supply
4-you cut the extension coax cable in half (approx)
5-you soldered the male end of the Gerbings coax to the open end of the Gamin cig power cable.

Pretty much spot on for 2-5... I didn't use the battery harness for my GPS though...

Where I'm stuck:
1-You say you didn't use the cables that came with the GPS, so where did you get the plug that goes into the back of the unit?
2-Did you solder the female end to something? I expect you just used the Battery Harness, right?
3-On the Gerbings coax, how do you know which is positive and which is neg?

Sorry for being so dense. And thanks again.

1- Got the adapter off Amazon.

Though I don't think they come with a right angle plug any more. As the availability of parts for these units seems to be waning due to the units being discontinued it seem to be that some of these accessories are now getting scarce.

2 -I used the female end of the extension cord to go to my battery with a fuse holder soldered inline. I used some of my own wire and terminals run from the battery to the splice into the female connector and fuse holder. (I do have a battery harness but I use that for my heated gear. )

3 - Continuity tester on your volt meter will allow you match the center contact of the coax connectors to the appropriate wire, which should then be set to be the positive connection.

....and as an addendum to 2 I actually just have an aux fuse panel installed now so I no longer have individual inline fuse holders, but I did at first.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
eddyturn OP
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,656
Thanks from me too!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn
Thanks from me too!

You're welcome, hope it helps.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
MisterMo
mach schnell!

By the way, the Garmin part number for the cig adapter plug is: 010-10516-00 I've found several on ebay and amazon.com. The price seems to be about $20 or so.

Thanks too for your help.