User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #16
Fastway* OP
Pavement Man

Oddometer: 19
And then his friends showed up!

We then headed south on Hwy 149, which is on the eastern most part of Blue Mesa Reservoir. Now this is COLORADO. Unbelievable stretch of two lane and I have no pictures to show for it, at least not til we got to Lake City.

I'm not really sure where this "At the Backyard" was located but I never saw it. In the middle of Colorado, in a very obscure town, I found it hard to believe that it would bring in Suzy Bogus and Michael Martin Murphy.

We had lunch here in Lake City at an outdoor BBQ joint. I asked our waiter about a big water fall that was supposedly south of town. He was convinced that I had no idea what I was talking about.

But, I was right.

Actually, I would have missed it but I told Craig when we were leaving town to look for the falls or at least a sign pointing to the falls. We no sooner left town, and I knew something wasn't right. Whatever I ate for lunch was not jiving with me. Craig was way out front and I figured I was going to be making at sudden stop, but there really wasn't anywhere to pull off. I kept thinking this feeling would subside, but it didn't. I was sweating bullets and then there was Craig on the side of the road. He spotted the sign to the waterfall, which I had completely forgotten about. Craig lifts his visor and says "wanna see the waterfall?" I can just imagine the confusion when I cocked my head and said "oh yeah...the waterfall." Anyway.....I made it to the facilities just in time. Nicest bathroom facilities that I think I've ever seen.
Fastway* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #17
boarderx686
n00b

Oddometer: 1
What's the hold up? You still cleaning out your drawers?
Let's see some more pics!
boarderx686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #18
Fastway* OP
Pavement Man

Now that that was taken care of, I could get back to enjoying the ride. By the way....the waterfall was about 15 miles south of Lake City (left side of 149).

Somewhere between Lake City and Creed.

A couple of kick ass bikes!

And we made it to Creede. Couldn't believe all the people. We figured that it would be like Lake City, which was basically a Ghost Town.

A couple of Ducs in the road.

We didn't stay too long. It was a little disappointing to see so many people. I'm not sure why we were surprised. It is the summer in Colorado.

I don't believe that this shop is period specific to the mining days, but I took a photo anyway. Actually, I was trying for the American Flag, that was stretched out by the wind, just moments before.

I had heard that there was an old Firehouse built into the side of the hill, so we set out to find it. I found it as it was at the end of the old town. I looked over my shoulder, and no Craig. Figured that he put his helmet on without his earplugs and that slowed him down. About 10 minutes later, still no Craig. WTF! I went back to town (two blocks) and there's Craig, no helmet, no jacket, looking bewildered. "Won't Start!" I'm thinking......should have got the ST2 instead of that ST3. Actually, I was thinking....."O-SHIT." So I got off, marched over, and went through the same process of starting my bike. Key to on, check. Neutral, check. Clutch in, check. Kickstand up, check. And low and behold, it started! Damn Italians need the kickstand up, with rider on bike to start it. Who'd a thunk?! Craig likes to fire up his ride as he stands aside and admires it. I'm more about getting on and going. Lesson here, Craig.

Off we go. Sorry, with all that, I forgot to take the picture of the firehouse.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #19
BeerMe2
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Nice report Steve... thanks for pics
BeerMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #21
Fastway* OP
Pavement Man

So here's where the pics come to a stop. With about 125 miles to go for the second day, and threatening skies, we didn't waste any time getting to Durango. We left Creede, heading to South Fork, where we would pick up CO 160 into Durango. I've heard that 160 is heavily patrolled, so Craig was out front to catch the cops.

I'm pretty sure we never dropped below 85mph the entire way, with passing moments of 100+. Those Ducs love to fly!

About 20 miles to Durango, no raingear (and we didn't have any desire to stop and put it on), the skies were absolutely black. Would love to have a pic of this but we didn't stop to have a Kodak Moment. I decide to take the lead (I absolutely hate wet pavement) pushing the speedo, passing cars like they are standing still (maybe taking a few risks), but staying dry.......and low and behold, there he is!

Now here's where our story's differ. I recall a slight uphill, slow moving van, passing zone (for a brief while), no oncoming traffic (for a brief while), and I see nothing put a passing opportunity. I check and make sure Craig didn't think the same thing and swing by me (nope), so I drop a gear, twist, fly (and I mean fly!) by this slow moving van. NO PROBLEM.....other than the "do not pass" sign on the right, and the hwy patrolman behind the truck in the oncoming lane.

OH-SHIT!!!!!

He're Craigs's recollection.....uphill, no passing, oncoming cars, and a COP! Hmm....usually this is what I see, but I guess I was really concerned about the rain.

Yep.....brake lights in the rearview mirror and ole Johnny Law coming back to get me! SO, I'm sure that nobody has ever had these thoughts, but I can damn well assure you that I was looking for a way out. Nothing! No turn out, no "blend in," nothing. I'm fucked! Well, at that moment in time, I came to the realization that Craig and I had passed about 100 cars in the last 50 miles, so the chances of the police making a 180 to come and get me (doing 90+mph) was probably not likely.

Craig catches me a a stoplight at the edge of Durango, and announces that I "must have 9 lives." He said that the cop hit the brakes and looked like he was going to swing around but probably realized that he'd have to pass all the cars that we just did and called it off. I shrug it off like it was nothing, but I was real anxious to get into traffic (blend in), and better yet, get to the Hotel.

We made it to the Hampden Inn, got our cases off the bike, just as the skies unloaded. Did I mention that I hate rain.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #22
Fastway* OP
Pavement Man

Finishing up...

Well, I sure don't want to be accused of being a quitter, so I guess I'll continue with the report. But first, I want to say that me and Craig (co-conspirator in this ride) spent the day skiing our asses off at Copper Mountain today. You just have to love Colorado.

Since it was raining in Durango......we really didn't do much of anything other than get dinner at a BBQ joint (can't remember the name) and head back to the motel.

The next morning, we woke to partial blue skies and no rain. It was crisp out, but I love that kind of riding. We headed straight up hwy 550 north towards Silverton. I must say, that road is pure paradise.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #23
Capt Dan
Just Livin' a Dream

Oddometer: 190
Nice RR, I noticed you stopped in Lake City. It sure looks like a Hole in the Wall place, but it is a HUGE ADV hangout during the summer. The places to eat are great and it is a great location to pick up Engineer pass and Cinnamon pass loop. I think you can rent ATV and maybe even some jeeps out of that location. Not sure about places to stay. Then take Cinnamon pass over and catch the road to Silverton, then back on Engineer pass to Lake city.
BTW I really liked the Durango, Silverton area when we stayed there this summer.
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote