Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,895
how much $ to replace brake pads on a DL1000 VStrom?

I took my bike in for a 16000 mile service. I told them I thought the brake pads may need replacing.

I just got a voice mail from them left an hour ago - they are replacing the pads and my price "with the discount" is $245.

I didn't think it would be anywhere near that high. Does this sounds reasonable to you?
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,166
Considering you can do it yourself in 15 minutes with simple tools? No.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
not2fast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
List price on the complete rear pad setup (Pads, isolators, and backing plates) from suzuki is about $60. Labor to install should be less than $40 assuming an $80 hr rate.

They may be quoting a brake fluid change too as that will require some parts disassembly to get to the rear wheel master cylinder.

Seems way to high if it is just brake replacement.

Terry
02 DL1000
Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,037
I just picked up 4 pads for the front of my Wee from my local dealer-$75.90 for the 4 pads. I usually buy EBC pads off the Net for 20% less. It's one of the easier maintenance jobs you can do yourself.

$245.00 sounds a bit rich, I don't want to know what they'll charge you for that valve adjustment/check you'll soon need...
Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

he called me back to say the bike was ready. I told him I was in shock at that price to replace brake pads. He said he could knock it down to $200.

Just the same, we're going to have a talk when I get there. I need to know all the prices in advance from now on. I have replaced a few pads in my time, I see no reason I could not have done it this time. I just didn't want to, and never expected $200 for it.

As for the valve adjustment - it's part of the maintenance plan I bought when I bought the bike. In other words, I already paid for it. This service should put me over the top in saving back what I paid for the plan, and I still have two years left to go on it.

Maybe they figure they are taking too much of a loss on this deal and are trying to recoup some on the brake pad job?

I don't know, but I am about ready to go back to BMW. Love my V-Strom, the dealer is OK, and Suzuki just plain sucks.

Oh by the way, when I had the flat tire last week, I bent the centerstand trying to get the rear end off the ground. They are replacing my centerstand as a warranty item.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Just did this last weekend - cost $60 and 1/2 hour of my time.

I would ask them the price of the pads, and if more than a simple pad replacement, what else they did. They may have bled brakes, there's another 1/2 hour, perhaps.

If their hourly rate is $80, and they charged you say $80 for the pads, there's $160 right there. You deserve to have to pay the extra $40 as a punishment for being so ^*$%^@# lazy!

Trevor
Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze
I don't know, but I am about ready to go back to BMW. Love my V-Strom, the dealer is OK, and Suzuki just plain sucks.
Quote:
Oh by the way, when I had the flat tire last week, I bent the centerstand trying to get the rear end off the ground. They are replacing my centerstand as a warranty item.
Can you elaborate ("Suzuki just plain sucks")? You're going be ahead on the maintenance plan, and you just got the centerstand replaced under warranty when really it shouldn't have been. Sounds like you're doing OK to me...

Trevor
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
$200+ really doesn't sound out of the ordinary for a dealership brake job. Full msrp on the oem pads is $120 (2x of these http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687...3870/Source/SU ) and then figure $100 for labor, a little for tax, shop supplies and environmental fees and you are right there. No one is getting rich off that deal.

I would second the notion of doing them yourself, its a very simple, easy job.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
Powerslave
n00by tires that would be

Oddometer: 315
Its not hard

Would recomend aftermarket parts and either doing it yourself or finding independant shop. I did mine on my DL650 in a parking lot n Colorado. Took me longer than it should have but i was tired n I hadnt done it before. The fact that silt dries like concrete and the bolts seemed overtorqued didnt help. I think i paid like 90 for the parts. Im with u though. I dont always have the time inclination or skill so i do use the same shop when needed and have developed a good relationship with them. I still get all pricing up front anyways to avoid any issues and since they are independant I can even bring them parts to save time and probably money. In my neck of the woods the dealers are the worst. Even at selling bikes which isreally their primary function.

Ok longwinded but whats the point of the isolator onthe rear pads. Is it isolating vibrations or metal onmetal contact. The aftermarket brakepads are different shape and didnt come with one so i didnt reinstall the old one but still have it. Seeems fine just wondering. Anyone?
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,853
Quote:
//

//
Lets see if I understand you correctly. A Suzuki dealer buttrapes you on maintenance charges. Based on this, you think the dealer is OK, but Suzuki sucks, even though you like the bike.

And your solution is to go buy a BMW because the dealer maintenance charges are going to be lower than a V-Strom?

Why not name the dealer?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

gee whiz, some of you are a bit prone to knee jerk reactions, eh?

I said the dealer is OK - there is more to the relationship than just this one charge. Sometimes they have been great, sometimes not. All in all, they are pretty good. I have in the past, and continue to recommend them to friends.

I said Suzuki sucks. Again there is a long relationship - I bought a 1982 GS650G, and they discontinued it. Same thing with the VX800 and the GSX1100G I bought. Discontinued. I bought a 2009 V-Strom. Still waiting to hear of there will be a 2011 model. I bought all these bikes new. Needless to say, discontinuing a model does not help the owners resale value any. And then there are the warranty issues that Suzuki refused to cover. 4 new bikes makes for a long relationship.

the dealer charged me right at $100 for the pads and $77 for an hour of labor, plus shop supplies, fees, and taxes. Total was $199.96 for the brake job. I was thinking about it last night, and I do remember paying more than that just for the pads for my R1100R. But BMW rarely discontinues a model line, Suzuki does it for lunch. And yeah, I could have, and should have, done the brake job myself.

Total cost of the 16000 mile service and replacing the centerstand was $745.

but I didn't pay a dime for that. The maintenance plan covered the service, and the centerstand was a warranty item. Life is good. I took the bike out for a 50 mile romp last night.

I will lighten up on Suzuki when they announce a 2011 DL-1000 V-Strom. In the meantime, if someone wants a recommendation on a NEW liter class adventure - tourer, I am sending them to the BMW dealer.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
filthy phil
team FTP

Oddometer: 804
rear pads took about 10 minutes on my zx10

I ride: 2007 ZX10r
filthy phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
Deputy_Dawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Not trying to insult you Breeze, but you could have ordered better pads than Suzuki's from Advernture Moto Stuff or Twisted Throttle and change them out in less than an hour.
But going back to BMW ? Go over to Bloodworth's sometime and price that same job......I'm a former Beemer owner myself and, although it was not always the case, BMW has of recent been known as Bust My Wallet.

By the way, which dealer are you going to up your way ?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
Deputy_Dawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
"I will lighten up on Suzuki when they announce a 2011 DL-1000 V-Strom. In the meantime, if someone wants a recommendation on a NEW liter class adventure - tourer, I am sending them to the BMW dealer."

New Vee, less than $10k - new BMW, slighty less than $20k...you can do a lot of dealer priced brake jobs for the almost $10K savings.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I said Suzuki sucks. Again there is a long relationship - I bought a 1982 GS650G, and they discontinued it. Same thing with the VX800 and the GSX1100G I bought. Discontinued. I bought a 2009 V-Strom. Still waiting to hear of there will be a 2011 model.
If Suzuki discontinuing a bike soon after you buy it is your biggest gripe, maybe a little research on your part is in order? There have been rumors about the Vee being discontinued every year since about 2007, due, in part at least, to it not being able to meet new emissions standards in Europe. Should be no surprise if there isn't a 2011 model.

The solution is to either buy used, so somebody else takes the biggest financial hit, or to buy something right at the beginning of its run (the Super Tenere, when it comes, would be one for you to set your sights on).

Either way, I don't see how you can say "Suzuki sucks". Every manufacturer has some models that run a long time, and some that run for less. Even BMW... the /5's only ran for 4 years before being replaced by the /6, the 1150GS only ran for 5 years before being replaced by the very different 1200GS. If the Vee's model run is 8 years, yeah well it's no KLR or Concours 1000, but it's not much shorter than the average either...

Of course I'd love to see the Vee keep running - but not in its present form. It's due for an upgrade, not just a facelift.

Trevor