Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #496
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace View Post
We just bypassed this section today thanks for the heads up. Were in Grants right now and it's raining buckets.
That section was still good on the 18th when we went through going north, but that night there was a downpour, we stayed in Cuba at a motel. I bet that did it in. I remember thinking while riding through the washes, I would hate to be out here in a rain storm, a guy could get stuck between two of them in a flash flood situation.

Trailace, I believe I met you in CO, at the gas station in Sargents on 30 Jul. I was on my way home and riding with my brother and nephew in CO, sorry I coulden't talk more, but we were on the go.

[edit]

It is a shame you guys are missing that area. You can see in this video I shot on our trip how dry it was, that was a real fun section to ride.

Cannon

let me know if you want me to take this video down, not trying to detract from your ride report, but add to it for the guys who will miss this section.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 08-02-2011 at 03:19 PM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #497
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Cannon

let me know if you want me to take this video down, not trying to detract from your ride report, but add to it for the guys who will miss this section.
As I mentioned, it seems like a good idea to keep adding current information to this report to sustain it as a comprehensive reference.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #498
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
That section was still good on the 18th when we went through going north, but that night there was a downpour, we stayed in Cuba at a motel. I bet that did it in. I remember thinking while riding through the washes, I would hate to be out here in a rain storm, a guy could get stuck between two of them in a flash flood situation.

Trailace, I believe I met you in CO, at the gas station in Sargents on 30 Jul. I was on my way home and riding with my brother and nephew in CO, sorry I coulden't talk more, but we were on the go.

[edit]

It is a shame you guys are missing that area. You can see in this video I shot on our trip how dry it was, that was a real fun section to ride.

Cannon

AZ that was us in Sargent and I understand about needing to keep moving. We got home last night or this morning around 2:30 AM.

As or 8/1/11 the section in Santa Fe National Forest just east of Cuba is closed for about 13 miles you can use NF-103 for a good dirt bypass.

Also there is a great section no one takes anymore for some reason but it is a lot of fun in the Pinedale area i will post video later. Here is a track on the map if you want a copy send me a PM and I will send you the track,
Pinedale half loop 15 miles of fun .
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #499
BOOGIEMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Thumb Outstanding

What a read the research you did was over the top. I am amazed at the work you put into this report.
Daytona bike week bucket list 2012
BOOGIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #500
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
We just finished Cannonshots tracks from Yellowstone to Chama, where I went west and my buddy went east. It took me a couple days to figure out my 60csx, but once I did the tracks were perfect and easy to follow.

The dirt road south off of 134 was ripped up and closed. This is the path that takes you to the Colorado River crossing south of Kreming. They might have detoured the route to the campground next door but didn't check.

We also rode about 40 miles of the Oregon trail, which was 2 track. We ended up doing a little bushwhacking when got a little lost as we had no tracks for it.

Stayed at a fantastic BB called Como Depot. Real western joint with a great bar and menu. Real good prices too. David (a Brit) and Moya own it. Moya is a librarian fresh from Berkely!

Weather was dry so could blast that water crossing easy enough.

Thanks fort the tracks.
-P
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #501
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN View Post
What a read the research you did was over the top. I am amazed at the work you put into this report.
Thanks! I hope it proves useful and entertaining to others. And, I hope it encourages many more to do this ride themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
We just finished Cannonshots tracks from Yellowstone to Chama, where I went west and my buddy went east. It took me a couple days to figure out my 60csx, but once I did the tracks were perfect and easy to follow.

The dirt road south off of 134 was ripped up and closed. This is the path that takes you to the Colorado River crossing south of Kreming. They might have detoured the route to the campground next door but didn't check.

We also rode about 40 miles of the Oregon trail, which was 2 track. We ended up doing a little bushwhacking when got a little lost as we had no tracks for it.

Stayed at a fantastic BB called Como Depot. Real western joint with a great bar and menu. Real good prices too. David (a Brit) and Moya own it. Moya is a librarian fresh from Berkely!

Weather was dry so could blast that water crossing easy enough.

Thanks fort the tracks.
-P
Sounds like you had a fantastic trip! Glad the tracks served you well.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #502
Sir Dave
Big Dave

Oddometer: 68
Wow!

Cannonshot,
Cannot thank you enough. Your tracks and waypoints were all we needed for a great trip. Six of us on GS and GSA's, loaded to the max (this was first camping trip for some of the guys...so they packed a bit heavy to say the least). Due to time restraints we could not ride the whole thing. Started in Rawlins and ended in Del Norte. By the way, as an update, the turn off of 134 in Colorado, west of Kremmling has been closed for logging. The pine beetle infestation is so sad. Speaking with forest service out there, at least two counties will have 100% loss of trees. You see mountains just covered in brown....all trees dead. The loss of trees will be so intense that power plants are being constructed to burn the dead trees as fuel. But as sad as this was to see there was still plenty of great scenery to enjoy.
We had a blast. The trails (well dirt roads) were spectacular, riding was a bit dusty but hey....dirt roads are dusty right?!?
Saw moose, eagles, and clear blue cold mornings (this is significant if you are from Texas!).
Anyway, as all who have read your report have stated...."you are the man"! I truly could not believe what a piece of cake it was to follow the tracks and what a great benefit it was to have all the info. your waypoints provided.
Thanks again.
Dave
Douglass, Tx.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #503
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Sir

Quite an amazing report. You have set the bar at the very highest level for RRs.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated by all those planning to do the route (in 2013 for me!).

Many, many thanks for what be one of the best & most useful reports ever

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #504
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIV-Dragon View Post
Sir

Quite an amazing report. You have set the bar at the very highest level for RRs.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated by all those planning to do the route (in 2013 for me!).

Many, many thanks for what be one of the best & most useful reports ever
Thanks Dragon! I hope you have a good trip and also hope that this report proves useful in your planning.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #505
eatdrinkadam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Cdr

Cannonshot,

Thanks for all the info AND the GPX files.

I am doing this trip in late May from NM to upper WY and been looking at your GPX tracks compared to Big Doggs.. It looks as if you both have similar tracks going south. I will be going the other way (northbound from new mexico) and Big Dogg has a totally different / separate track going north, per his CDR roundtrip tracks.

My question is, can your CDR tracks be done the same either direction? Or should I use Big Doggs north bound tracks, if you are familiar with those?

Can anyone attest to which one is better?

Thanks

The track highlighted in blue is Big Doggs north bound track.

A
eatdrinkadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #506
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdrinkadam View Post
Cannonshot,

Thanks for all the info AND the GPX files.

I am doing this trip in late May from NM to upper WY and been looking at your GPX tracks compared to Big Doggs.. It looks as if you both have similar tracks going south. I will be going the other way (northbound from new mexico) and Big Dogg has a totally different / separate track going north, per his CDR roundtrip tracks.

My question is, can your CDR tracks be done the same either direction? Or should I use Big Doggs north bound tracks, if you are familiar with those?

Can anyone attest to which one is better?

Thanks

The track highlighted in blue is Big Doggs north bound track.

A

I don't know what other tracks you are looking at but what you have on the map does not reflect a comparison between Mark (Big Dog) and my tracks. Perhaps you have a track someone developed that follows an alternate route along the continental divide that is not the Great Divide Ride.

This shows both Mark's and my tracks on a map.

The tracks generally follow the Great Divide Ride route published by the Adventure Cycling Association. I say generally because there are short stretches that are not open to motor vehicles.

I have a planning file that you can download here that has both our tracks in it so you can see the difference.

The biggest difference is that I included the alternate routes that are part of the path whereas Mark did not. Another difference is that Mark did the trip some years back and the route has been updated since then. I captured the most recent route at the time I prepared the file.

We also had two different approaches to waypoints which you can compare by looking at the two files.

Tracks can be ridden in either direction. I don't think you will be able to navigate some of the path in late May.

If you have questions about all this, feel free to send me a phone number via PM and I'll talk more details with you.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #507
eatdrinkadam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Thanks a bunch.

I would ultimately like to use your tracks as a guideline since they are much more descriptive with way points. Not sure where the old GPX file came from. I thought it was Big Dog but I could be mistaken.

Anyhow, from what I hear, snow pack is low this year, but we are well aware that we may need to take some detours in the higher elevations.

I am sure I will have many questions in the near future as I am still in planning mode. I will PM you my info in the meantime.

Thanks again.

A
eatdrinkadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #508
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Hey Cannonshot,
Great Ride Report, and your assistance to others has been gracious. Been looking at your and Big Dogs trip reports for awhile, while spending every free moment of the last year building what I hope to be the first Sportster/Ural hack to complete the CDR. Looks like we are gonna get out of here (Tucson, riding S-N from Hachita) in the next couple days.

I have a couple routes/detours of areas not suitable for us - the 40" wide gate (we are 60" wide), Fleecer Ridge, etc. Any areas you can think of that would be problematic for an experienced hack driver? Forest road stuff is fine, most 2 track stuff is fine, but 4 wheel jeep trails are a little tougher, as they seem to eat my clutch... But I got a new cluthc, and a spare as well...

Any comments would be appreciated.

BTW, anyone prepping for the ride RIGHT NOW be aware of the fires in NM, as well as Colorado. The wife is trying to overlay them now on our couse.

Pago Cruiser screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 12:39 PM
Pago Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #509
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pago Cruiser View Post
Hey Cannonshot,
Great Ride Report, and your assistance to others has been gracious. Been looking at your and Big Dogs trip reports for awhile, while spending every free moment of the last year building what I hope to be the first Sportster/Ural hack to complete the CDR. Looks like we are gonna get out of here (Tucson, riding S-N from Hachita) in the next couple days.

I have a couple routes/detours of areas not suitable for us - the 40" wide gate (we are 60" wide), Fleecer Ridge, etc. Any areas you can think of that would be problematic for an experienced hack driver? Forest road stuff is fine, most 2 track stuff is fine, but 4 wheel jeep trails are a little tougher, as they seem to eat my clutch... But I got a new cluthc, and a spare as well...

Any comments would be appreciated.

BTW, anyone prepping for the ride RIGHT NOW be aware of the fires in NM. The wife is trying to overlay them now on our couse.

Thanks Pago. The Chama to El Rito section might get your attention. Slow going at least.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=342

Not sure how well your rig pushes sand, but down in NW there are some soft roads. Take a look at the pix in the ride report to make an assessment.

Sounds like you have an excellent trip planned.

Take a look at the piece that runs through the saddle just north of Del Norte. There is some soft stuff in there as well in a wash. Can't get the speed up to get on top of it. It would be hard on your rig. Easily by-passed.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #510
ValpoFz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I am leaving mid next week to do some of the easier northern parts (MT, WY). Is there a key to your symbols? I know most are self explanatory, What are the yellow X's? Did you mm
mention getting tires mounted in MT somewhere?

Thanks
Ed
ValpoFz is offline   Reply With Quote