Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #526
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Man View Post
I haven't gotten through your report but I was wondering what mapping program that is. Is that part of a Garmin package?
Garmin Topo US
Also Garmin Topo Canada
Both worked fine.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #527
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
What an absolutely superb ride report ! The effort you put into it is terrific reading with all the history photos and dialogue.
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #528
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post
What an absolutely superb ride report ! The effort you put into it is terrific reading with all the history photos and dialogue.
Thanks! It is intended to entertain and inform, but mostly to encourage and help out the next guy to get a chance to enjoy it in person for him/herself.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #529
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 79
Thanks for this interesting and useful report

My nephew participated in the Tour Divide Race on a mountain bike last year, doing about 1800 miles and a lot of altitude before dropping out with a foot injury. I thought that I wanted to work out a way to do it on my motorcycle and now I see you've done it for me better than I would have.

The bike ride is very tough on hardware, too. My nephew builds mountain bikes and is now using a motorcycle chain on his single speed bike in anticipation of his next attempt.

http://febikes.com/
Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #530
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
My nephew participated in the Tour Divide Race on a mountain bike last year, doing about 1800 miles and a lot of altitude before dropping out with a foot injury. I thought that I wanted to work out a way to do it on my motorcycle and now I see you've done it for me better than I would have.

The bike ride is very tough on hardware, too. My nephew builds mountain bikes and is now using a motorcycle chain on his single speed bike in anticipation of his next attempt.

http://febikes.com/
I have a lot of respect for the bicyclists encountered along the route. Big job riding that route. I can't imagine what it would be like to race it on bicycles. Interesting about the motorcycle chain.

I shared your link with someone I know that has been a custom bicycle builder. He found it interesting too.

I'm glad you enjoyed the report!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #531
RaceBannon
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thanks a ton!!!

Cannonshot,

My buddies and I used your RR and your tracks for a GDR from Antelope Wells to Banff, and departed from the border on June 16th with four GS12's and a chase truck with a spare DRZ400S. Thirteen days of riding to my sister's home in Canmore with epic weather and a detour to Vail and Aspen so we could spend some time with the CO500 Charity Road Ride and pick up a 5th rider on another DRZ400S. Arrived in Canmore on June 28th and spent the next day sightseeing and finishing up the ride at the parking lot at Norquay. Two of the GS riders crashed heavily, but soldiered on with non life-threatening injuries. A third GS locked up (still hasn't been torn down to determine the cause) about 40 miles south of Rawlins, so the spare DRZ was pressed into service. Only two detours..... southwest of Cuba, NM we had to stay on NM279 at Arroyo Balcon to 550 North into Cuba due to road construction. And once we were about 20 miles north of Coleman, AB on 940 we were forced back onto 22 North all the way up to the Trans Canada due to all of the road closures in Kananaskis from the rain/flooding. Many thanks to you..... without the information you provided, there is no way that this ride could have been as epic as it turned out.

Best regards.....

Race Bannon
RaceBannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #532
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBannon View Post
Cannonshot,

My buddies and I used your RR and your tracks for a GDR from Antelope Wells to Banff, and departed from the border on June 16th with four GS12's and a chase truck with a spare DRZ400S. Thirteen days of riding to my sister's home in Canmore with epic weather and a detour to Vail and Aspen so we could spend some time with the CO500 Charity Road Ride and pick up a 5th rider on another DRZ400S. Arrived in Canmore on June 28th and spent the next day sightseeing and finishing up the ride at the parking lot at Norquay. Two of the GS riders crashed heavily, but soldiered on with non life-threatening injuries. A third GS locked up (still hasn't been torn down to determine the cause) about 40 miles south of Rawlins, so the spare DRZ was pressed into service. Only two detours..... southwest of Cuba, NM we had to stay on NM279 at Arroyo Balcon to 550 North into Cuba due to road construction. And once we were about 20 miles north of Coleman, AB on 940 we were forced back onto 22 North all the way up to the Trans Canada due to all of the road closures in Kananaskis from the rain/flooding. Many thanks to you..... without the information you provided, there is no way that this ride could have been as epic as it turned out.

Best regards.....

Race Bannon
Thanks Race. Sounds like you had a great trip! People sharing info about this ride over the years has certainly done a lot to encourage others to be able to enjoy the experience for themselves (including me). What a great ride! I'm glad the info I shared was useful to your group.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #533
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
In case I haven't mentioned it the GPS tracks are drawn to run at a scale of .2 or .3 miles.
Help, I've searched and I can't find the tracks . . . . !

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #534
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
Help, I've searched and I can't find the tracks . . . . !
On his web site which is In his signature line. http://www.cannonshot.net/cms/?q=node/3
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #535
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Tracks

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619934
Old 06-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #536
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
GDR RR awakened

I've spent many hours reading your narrative and studying your photos in preparation for riding the CO and NM portions of the GDR in July; they have been invaluable! Being a CO native, I've ridden the central portions of the state as well as the West Slope (Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Gunnison, etc.) but never the areas around Steamboat or south of Del Norte. I also have loaded your tracks (and the alternates) in prep.

And against my better judgement, I'm taking my WeeStrom on the ride. I tried to find a good DR650 in Colorado but nothing quite worked out; I'm sure it will be OK though as I piloted an R100GSPD over Taylor, Black Bear and Imogne Passes a few years back. That was a BIG dual sporter for its time!

So thanks for your help in advance!

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #537
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
You're a class act Cannonshot, always an interesting and informative ride report, thanks for taking the time to post here.
TonsOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #538
beemerbot
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I rode this route from Roosville to Antelope Wells in 2001 with Clement Salvadori (I'm pretty sure we were the first motorcyclists to ever ride it) and seeing your pictures of your trip has brought back many fond memories and makes me want to go back again this summer and run it again. I did it on an g650 Dakar back then.
When Clem and I rode it, we did the whole thing in 8 days because he was on a tight time schedule with his working for Rider magazine. It would have been nice to take more time to do side trips along the way. On our trip, it seemed more like the Paris/Dakar rally with bags the way we flew down the whole thing.
When Clements' article about the trip finally was published in The April 2003 issue, he said "it's the best motorcycle tour I've ever done in North America". Which is really saying something considering he is paid to ride all over the world and write about it!
A few years ago I went back and rode the Colorado section under my own power by mt. Bike, and it gives a whole new perspective to the route.
beemerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #539
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
I've spent many hours reading your narrative and studying your photos in preparation for riding the CO and NM portions of the GDR in July; they have been invaluable! Being a CO native, I've ridden the central portions of the state as well as the West Slope (Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Gunnison, etc.) but never the areas around Steamboat or south of Del Norte. I also have loaded your tracks (and the alternates) in prep.

And against my better judgement, I'm taking my WeeStrom on the ride. I tried to find a good DR650 in Colorado but nothing quite worked out; I'm sure it will be OK though as I piloted an R100GSPD over Taylor, Black Bear and Imogne Passes a few years back. That was a BIG dual sporter for its time!

So thanks for your help in advance!
I'm glad you found the material helpful. I hope you have a great trip! I can sense you are really looking forward to it. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsOfFun View Post
You're a class act Cannonshot, always an interesting and informative ride report, thanks for taking the time to post here.
Thanks! Just trying to help out the next rider out. Hopefully the information helps them plan a great trip of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbot View Post
I rode this route from Roosville to Antelope Wells in 2001 with Clement Salvadori (I'm pretty sure we were the first motorcyclists to ever ride it) and seeing your pictures of your trip has brought back many fond memories and makes me want to go back again this summer and run it again. I did it on an g650 Dakar back then.
When Clem and I rode it, we did the whole thing in 8 days because he was on a tight time schedule with his working for Rider magazine. It would have been nice to take more time to do side trips along the way. On our trip, it seemed more like the Paris/Dakar rally with bags the way we flew down the whole thing.
When Clements' article about the trip finally was published in The April 2003 issue, he said "it's the best motorcycle tour I've ever done in North America". Which is really saying something considering he is paid to ride all over the world and write about it!
A few years ago I went back and rode the Colorado section under my own power by mt. Bike, and it gives a whole new perspective to the route.
Interesting stuff! Like you say, eight days was a quick run. I notice that a lot of people do it in ten days due to travel to and from and limited vacation time. I feel fortunate to have been able to run it on a timeline that allowed some side trips and the time to explore a few things that interested me. Although, the varying and spectacular scenery throughout the route makes for a wonderful ride no matter what the pace. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #540
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbot View Post
Thanks for that post----that is the way I remember the Continental Divide ride coming down---you guys were the first-------and after I read the article in the AMA magazine-----I loaded up my bike and went----I mean---right then---I didn't wait around. It sounded like the most astounding cross country adventure I could possible to in the USA---and it was.

Of course a flurry of riders followed---but I always wanted to thank Clement for putting the bug in my ear to do the CDR.

I recorded the track logs of the ride and told the story on my website-----now looking back at my story if pales to Cannonshots---as when I did it the only internet connections out there were dial-up and it was forbidden to post large pictures.

Thanks for reminding me of how this all got started.
And the bicyclists were before the moto's.

BigDog