User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Palledorous OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Question Crash bars vs. Radguards on KLR

I see a lot of posts over which crash bars are best on a KLR and there doesn't seem to be a lot of quality or confidence with what is available. Lots of bending when dropped. From what I can tell, people seem to put crash bars on to protect the plastics and ultimately the radiator. Wouldn't radguards do the same thing minus protecting the plastic? Do the crash bars do something else that I'm not aware of?
Palledorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

Oddometer: 107
Talking I have a 07 KLR.........

On my first ride off road in the snow. ( just a covering. ) The bike slipped as I was going not even five miles per hour. This minor fall cost me the plastic, the screen protector and a bent radiator bracket.
Shortly after I purchased a Twisted Throtle crash bar / protector.
That and some Bark busters have done the trick on a few fall overs.
Minor scratchs on bars and busters beat cash out of pocket, Plus they help if you need to drag the bike sideways out of a bog. Also in near future a good place to mount extra lighting or footpegs.
Before buying the twisted throttle bars I looked at what was avalible and found them to be the nicest with keeping with the lines of the bike and not sticking out too far.

There are many sites out there for aftermarket KLR parts. good luck with your search.
johnnygequinunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,032
What year KLR? I have the 2006 and am thinking of getting the aftermarket tank. Sure I have the Rad Protector on, but I think the Tank will offer greater protection.

If you have the newer style, I don't know what to tell you. Lots of KLR specific threads here (one day they'll be lumped together or something), a little searching and you'll have all sorts of opinion and what-not to sort through. You might even find an answer or two.

Or not.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,214
Skip the guards and get an IMS tank. Much better protection, more fuel capacity and comes out about the same in dollars spent.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Coop74/C...95832630890226

Coop
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Palledorous OP
Adventurer

I have a 2007. Wouldn't a radguard only be just as protective to the radiator as the crash bars would be? I'm just trying to understand if their is a reason to get crash bars in addition to a radguard? Other than for protecting the plastic.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,493
Here's what happened to my KLR radiator after a 30+mph get off in the dirt.

That's a Dual-Star rad guard, in my opinion it didn't do shit to protect the radiator or the fan.

After I fixed everything I put a set of these on -

After thinking about them I came to realize that they too were junk, pefect for protecting the plastic in case of a parking lot tip-over, not much in the way of real crash protection.

So I bought an IMS tank and left the upper crash guard foot pegs thing on.

If I were to design a set of nerf / crash bars for the KLR they would be three or four point mounted to the frame, not two point mounted.
They would not be attached to the footpeg bracket.
They would provide actual crash protection.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

I think.......

Most of all as to buying what to add or modify a KLR is how you want it to look or to improove it in some way.

My stock fuel tank holds 6.1 gal. I am not sure how much these aftermarket tanks hold, but how heavy do I want to make this bike?

Right now I get aprox 50 mpg and that is average between mtn climbing and interstate riding.

To me the weight is not a problem until I get off road or on very bad secondary roads. ( Washed out creekbeds.)

Right now my biggest problem on my KLR is it's seat. I tried the Gel Seat upgrade from Kawasaki, but it didn't help.

I have been told to try this seat or that seat but I just need to find a local shop who can build the seat that I want and not what others think is best for me. I have a old DT 250 and I could ride all day long on it and have even slept on it with it on it's side stand and a rack on the back.
I need a seat like that on my KLR. just a nice thick enduro seat.

Anyway I digress. As far as crash bars / rad protector check KLR.COM, HappyTrails.COM, and Twisted Throttle.Com.

So far on my KLR I have upgraded the front disk brake, hand guards and vibration dampaners for the mirrors. ( KLR.COM. ) Crash Bars ( Twisted Throttle.COM. And Kenda 270 Tires. ( Bike Bandit and Dennis Kirk.)

I have many more upgrades to get before this bike will be what I need it to be.

My old Yamaha DT 250 was much more of a enduro then this KLR will ever be, but the KLR 650 has longer legs on the big road and much better range.

Oh well, what can one do?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

Also.......

My Twisted throttle bars are three point. Front frame (also upgradeing all frame bolts) Below tank near fuel petcock and foot peg. Three points.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,571
Happy Trails = good, also comes with hiway pegs (you'll like them), and also a good place to tie other crap on.

BTW, my stock "6.1" gal tank holds 5.7.. about 5.5 useable.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop74
Skip the guards and get an IMS tank. Much better protection, more fuel capacity and comes out about the same in dollars spent.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Coop74/C...95832630890226

Coop
From experience, I would second Coop's advice. I started with the HT bars, which never bent or tweaked in quite a few drops, but they are heavy, on an already heavy bike. After the IMS tank, I've had more drops, still good protection for the radiator, no problems.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
Palledorous OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to possibly consider an IMS tank. Johnny, are the Twisted Throttle bars different from the SW Motechs? I thought they were the same. 3 points makes it more secure?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palledorous
I have a 2007. Wouldn't a radguard only be just as protective to the radiator as the crash bars would be? I'm just trying to understand if their is a reason to get crash bars in addition to a radguard? Other than for protecting the plastic.
Nerfs protect plastic, radiator, and tank.

IMS tank: excellent protection, also.

Highway pegs? No deal-maker for me; I regret the loss of vigilance and quick access to rear brake the highway pegs impose and seldom use 'em; YMMV.

Have '07 with HT nerfs; fully "road-tested" with satisfactory performance in dirt and asphalt get-offs; other manufacturers' products may be equivalent or superior; IMS tank seems a viable approach, to me.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
I have a rad guard installed underneath the IMS tank. Figure that should be enough. The rad guard is cheap (like $20 if I remember right). The IMS tank costs pretty much the same as the nerf bars, and I think it looks better, plus a little extra range when you need it doesn't hurt.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom
If I were to design a set of nerf / crash bars for the KLR they would be three or four point mounted to the frame, not two point mounted.
They would not be attached to the footpeg bracket.
They would provide actual crash protection.
+1 I really don't understand how any of these guards are supposed to protect the bike if there's any forward motion.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
elk311
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Engine Guard

I have the Happy Trails full set and after hitting a "frozen" puddle during elk hunting and slapping my bike and head quickly against the ground (dazed for a bit) I can say that these guards have more than paid for themselves. In fact they are still bent and I don't think that I can straighten them without a torch (which I will not do) but they continue to protect my investment.

Didn't help my head any and my Arai XD has some narly scratches and dents but it did what it was supposed to as well.

“Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled.” – Robert Frost
elk311 is offline   Reply With Quote