Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
www.powerlet.com has everything to connect -

This

http://www.powerlet.com/product/powe...uty-cables/315

Or just get this -

http://www.powerlet.com/product/10-p...ocket-cable/10

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #17
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,408
i believe the powerlet plug is capped at 5amps (thank you canbus) which is more than likely not nearly enough to power a full set of heated gear. you are going to have to tap the battery directly and even then the alternator on the f800 is pretty small. most people have installed some sort of LED or digital indicator to measure power draw so they know when they are exceeding what the battery/alternator can provide.

this is just my regurgitation of what i've read here, i believe that the power capabilities of the f8 have been discussed previously http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395505 here.

as far as actual gear, like you i'm at the beginning of that search.
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #18
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917
i believe the powerlet plug is capped at 5amps (thank you canbus) which is more than likely not nearly enough to power a full set of heated gear. you are going to have to tap the battery directly and even then the alternator on the f800 is pretty small. most people have installed some sort of LED or digital indicator to measure power draw so they know when they are exceeding what the battery/alternator can provide.

this is just my regurgitation of what i've read here, i believe that the power capabilities of the f8 have been discussed previously http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395505 here.

as far as actual gear, like you i'm at the beginning of that search.
True, but the OP just wanted to plug in his ETrex and the stock plug is perfect for that.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 AM   #19
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,408
agreed; i was more attempting to answer catskill's question. i should have quoted, my bad!
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #20
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskill
Searching for an answer that's in between the "gear" section of the forum and the "gs" section...this is one of the closest threads that came up when I searched.

I'm in the market for heated gear.

I own a F800gs...

Is there a Heated Gear brand (besides the $400 Aerostitch jacket liners) that makes jacket liners,gloves and pant liners that all hook together so you can plug them into the BMW plug? And is the F800 big enough to support gloves, jacket liner and pant liner?

I'm guessing the answer is "no" since that would be too good to be true but I figured it can't hurt to ask...
Of course there is.
Gerbing Heated clothing (happens to be 5min from my house) Not only so they sell heated gear, but I use there power outlet to operate my air pump, battery tender, ect ect. There power outlet has a smaller profile than an SAE connector.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #21
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Thanks to Bushwacker and Loph917...
Both of you helped answer my questions in different ways.

I read webbike worlds review on some heated liners by gerbing and it sounded like the guy either hates big adventure bikes or sounds like the gear is really only made for bikes starting with the power of a 1200gs...

I rode scooters for years and knew of many riders with Vespa GTS 250's had no issues running heated gear off the scooters...most of them swore by Gerbings...So needless to say, I'm confused...maybe they were lying

I've got heated grips on everything I own but they just aint cutting it anymore, I guess I'm getting old.

I love my F800 and I was REALLY hoping to extend my riding season this year in Upstate NY. My husband's a mechanic and can do just about anything I want him to to the bike so I can have him run it to the battery, I just like to leave the poor guy alone sometimes and was hoping there was an easier way to hook it up.

But there's no point in running anything at all, if there's not enough power to run a jacket liner and gloves and pants to begin with...

I am aware of the battery indicator, you are referring to . I have one from Signal Dynamics on my GTS because I run a GPS and hot grips off of it and have and extra 12v outlet to charge my phone...works well, cheap and easy to install...

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote