User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
400psi OP
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 414
Peg Draggin' Stupid

This is my first ride report. It is no Borneo.
However.
Dave and I made plans yesterday over a couple of adult recreational beverages to go and ride. “Where too? “ “ Don’t know really. How about we head toward Hurricane and connect some loops in the vicinity?” “Hurricane sounds good because it will cooler (relatively) under tree cover. Sounds like a plan.” Done.” See you tomorrow at the gas station at 8.”

A little history. Dave and I have known each other for years but have only been riding together for about a year and a half. During this time we have provided each other with entertainment in varying styles of dismounts, get-offs, wisecracks and other childish exploits that make our wives question their decision making and general sanity. Today will be no exception.
I began the day with a champions breakfast of granola bars and a ruby red. It seemed to cure some of the cobwebs of the previous evenings visit to Highland and Bele Chere. As I sat on the curb waiting on Dave, a guy asked me if the bike is street legal. Barely I say. (I do find it amazing that it is though).

It is starting to get hot and its only about eight. Dave rolls up, splashes some gas in his bike, and mentions to check out his new pants. They are very orange and clean. He needs to get these dirty he says, they’re a bit bright. Yes they are but I have no room to talk as I’m wearing some stormtrooper white shiny new boots. We’re quite a sight.
We point our selves towards the west and tack generally towards Tennesee. We enjoy a nice ride through some cloud cover/fog which causes constant wiping of the goggles until we crest the top of the mountain and look back towards Canton.

I am very blessed to live where I do . Mornings like this remind me when I take that for granted.
We had a hell of a good time riding to the top of the hill that we figured ” Lets do it again and stop and take photos, maybe do a ride report?”. Hind sight being what it is we may as well have said. “ Watch this. Hold my beer”.

Dave went first. As he was coming around the turn, we aren’t sure what let go first, but the next thing I know he is sliding through the view finder of the camera and into the ditch! First I thought, damn I hope he’s ok. Then Damn, I hope the bikes ok, then Damn,I hope I got that shot.

I turns out that he was fine. He jumped right up fired off a few colorful words and told me to go shut the bike off that was running in the ditch.

Dave’s shiny orange pants, now, look quite used.

At this point I am going to say that no matter how ridiculous we look in our power ranger suits (as my wife lovingly refers to my garb), the shit works. It does its job and makes it worth every penny. Dave’s shirt was torn, his knee pad cracked, his shoulder cap of his pressure suit was scraped as well as his elbow protector , but he jumped right up. Very good.

At this point we examined the bike. The bike had slid along the road and into the ditch but aside from a scratched axle bolt , fork leg and a handguard that had changed orientation, it fared very well.

We took a few minutes made the adjustments to the handguard, and let Daves adrenaline level come back to normal. Then we set off again.

Slower.

We took some nice twisty roads until we hit some gravel. The gravel gave way to some fun two track that didn’t appear to get a huge amount of traffic.

This worked well as we would be coming on traffic soon.
I-40.

We went down 40 a few miles until we hit road construction where everyone was stopping. At this point we rode down the shoulder to the Hurricane entrance. I’m sure everyone that was stopped in construction traffic was wondering where the hell these brightly colored power rangers were going on their dirt bikes. The thought had crossed my mind also.
We didn’t stop going up hurricane so no pictures here.
When we reached the top, we decided to head to Hot Springs for some lunch. We were both getting hungry and Dave was starting to feel some of his dismount. No need to push it, so off we went towards Hot Springs. We stopped to take a few photos on the way and decided against doing any more “peg draggin “ shots.

We arrived in Hot Springs and had a good lunch.

The ironic thing about this is as we were waiting on our lunch Dave called his wife to tell her about his morning exploits. She was on her lunch break from taking the motorcycle safety training class. I am sure he was an example of “what not to do” for the afternoon session. I thought this was hysterical.

There were a few Harley riders in the restaurant enjoying lunch also. After paying out and dressing back up in our gear, one of the guys’ girlfriends asked us if “didn’t we get hot in all that gear? “ Hell yeah it is hot but it saves our ass when we fall off we replied. To which they responded, “Don’t fall off then”. I didn’t have anything as a retort to that logic.

The rest of the ride was uneventful, hot, and totally enjoyable. It is not a coincidence that our rides usually wind up going past the Wedge. It was at this time that we decided from now on, that if anyone did anything stupid , it would be referred to and compared against, “peg draggin’ stupid”.

The last few miles from the Wedge to my house is no great distance but it really feels like it. When I got home, I walked into the house, left my gear haphazardly strewn about and showered.

While we only rode about 120 miles, the ride was terrific, the weather gorgeous, Daves pants weren't shiny anymore, my boots were not as white,

and I was reminded on many levels how lucky and fortunate I am. Rides like these do that for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Pete
Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
had a good time. we find ourselves with all kinds of fancy GPS stuff, and yet consistantly unsure of pour whereabouts.luckily we stumbled upon an LPS!

Local positioning system!

wher's that guy again?
THis may be a safer alternative for me?

i find myself a little sore this morning! Wife was not overly impressed, and limping around belle chere was not as fun as i had expected!

Got pretty damn close to dragging a peg, i got it next time, FO SHO!

35xj screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 06:11 AM
35xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

Oddometer: 728
Well done! And thanks for the chuckle.

take the long way home
pit0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
b00t
errrr, yes uh-huh?

Oddometer: 307
You guys really know how to break in some gear. Damn Dave, glad you are alright...what a freaking ride and the shots are great count me in for the next one...
Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,493
Nice

good to see local scenery.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,685
Good instructional RR, nice pics of the slide!!!, glad it was a minor health problem

I love that NC-TN area. ride safe
NAVIGATOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Neat scoot on the pavement there and next time you go by Rush Fork ( I thinks you are there in front of Ferguson's ) they have a good burger inside at the grill....fun reading...thanks!!!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
400psi OP
Cropdusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff
Neat scoot on the pavement there and next time you go by Rush Fork ( I thinks you are there in front of Ferguson's ) they have a good burger inside at the grill....fun reading...thanks!!!
That is at Ferguson's. We were there about 9:30 ish. It smelled like they had just finished cooking some breakfast. We grabbed some gas here and contemplated which loop to take (and Dave pondered a Llama purchase). I think we may have seen your tracks on Hurricane from the day before.
Pete
Old 07-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,362
I'd say that's a hip draggin' report!! Looks good, glad he wasn't hurt
Old 07-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Good deal and you probly saw our tracks from Friday...glad you did not suffer too much damage on that pavement.I got a set of those pants( greenish and black) and really like them! Seez you at th' Wedge or on a trail...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400psi
That is at Ferguson's. We were there about 9:30 ish. It smelled like they had just finished cooking some breakfast. We grabbed some gas here and contemplated which loop to take (and Dave pondered a Llama purchase). I think we may have seen your tracks on Hurricane from the day before.
Pete

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
aarrff. i passed a guy on a 530 on smokypark bridge friday. full suit and tennis shoes. I was in a tan volvo wagon. That you?
35xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
motomixon
aka Felix

Oddometer: 99
Hey 400psi,
Just wondering where that gravel road is that "doesn't get much traffic".

??
motomixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400psi

That spot looks familiar. I was there in June but didn't go any further. I was planning on checking it out next time.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
I've heard knobbies aren't great on pavement.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #15
400psi OP
Cropdusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
I've heard knobbies aren't great on pavement.
Trials tire hooks up well, clapped out pirelli front , not so much.

MM-replied via messagge