Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #136
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-B View Post
... and one the ones with R on both that there's another Compression setting elsewhere?
I can't comment on the C on one and the R on the other, haven't seen that before. I know that some of the first after market F800 cartridges used one fork cap for compression adjustment and the other for rebound so no machining on the fork foot was required but I haven't seen it on a stock fork. I have limited exposure to most of this though.

Anyway, yes, the ones with R on both have the compression adjustment on the fork bottom.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #137
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,780
The set of forks on the right in that pic have a Rebound damping circuit only in one fork leg and a Compression damping circuit only in the other. But not both in the same fork leg, like we typically see. Hence the "C" for Compression on one and the "R" for Rebound on the other.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #138
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
I think it's a STD fork not upside down.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #139
B-B

Oddometer: 153
So the donor forks can have more travel, and still work In the F8 fork tubes, with the same stock ride height? I'd like to keep the stock height, but most of these coming off dirtbikes seem to have more travel. Also, is there a way to add preload adjustment (maybe by using a cap that supports it, like RaceTech caps) or is this determined by the donor internals?
B-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #140
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
So the donor forks can have more travel, and still work In the F8 fork tubes, with the same stock ride height? I'd like to keep the stock height, but most of these coming off dirtbikes seem to have more travel. Also, is there a way to add preload adjustment (maybe by using a cap that supports it, like RaceTech caps) or is this determined by the donor internals?
F800GS has slonger fork tubes than normal "racing" dirtbikes, even though it has 230mm of fork travel and dirt bikes have 300mm.

This means thst if you put Aprilia RXV, BMW G450X, Beta, Husqvarna etc.. Shiver 45 internals in F800GS tubes you will have about 270mm of fork travel. You can limit that amount just by putting a spacer to the rod like this: http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...Rod_spacer.jpg (spacer is the lowest one).

So with those internals you can have what ever travel you prefer up till about 270mm.
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #141
B-B

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by -W- View Post
F800GS has slonger fork tubes than normal "racing" dirtbikes, even though it has 230mm of fork travel and dirt bikes have 300mm.

This means thst if you put Aprilia RXV, BMW G450X, Beta, Husqvarna etc.. Shiver 45 internals in F800GS tubes you will have about 270mm of fork travel. You can limit that amount just by putting a spacer to the rod like this: http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...Rod_spacer.jpg (spacer is the lowest one).

So with those internals you can have what ever travel you prefer up till about 270mm.
So if I read that right, its the total stroke of the piston being affected only but not ride height? I saw you had your forks mounted higher initially to compensate for the increased travel which is why I ask.
B-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #142
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
So if I read that right, its the total stroke of the piston being affected only but not ride height? I saw you had your forks mounted higher initially to compensate for the increased travel which is why I ask.
it sort of depends on what you want. Keep in mind you are reusing the stock BMW fork tubes. If you want more travel you can just use the donor internals. BUT if you do that you will want a shock for the rear to match the longer travel most likely.

I chose to have my suspension guy add the spacer so that my forks stay at stock length travel. They are mounted exactly like I had them before the change with the tubes poking through the tripple clamp to the first line or hash mark.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #143
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Of course the ride height will be increased also if you don't move the forks in the triples.

My forks were originally mounted higher for a short while to compensate the increased travel until I got the custom rear shock. Now they are at their original place (and I also got 250mm of rear wheel travel).
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #144
FinStorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I have a F8GS with one damaged upper forktube, and I want to get it upgraded and fixed in the same hit. Does the longer upper tubes exist on any other bike than f8gs? Does the 57 mm lower clamp exist on any other bike? How much longer is the bmw upper tube than the dirtbike version? Maybe it would be possible to take for example a Husqvarna fork that is 30 mm longer than bmw:s, and shorten it with a 30 mm distance at the piston end and I will get the overlap between the tubes increased. If nessesary I could limit the travel by a distance in the upper end of the piston rod too. Are the lower tubes different length too? Is there any other reason you prefer RXV forks than the hydraulic stopper and the lower springplate?

What do you think about this product http://www.wunderlich.de/shopart/860...-F-800-GS.htm? Is there a reason to spend money on that? I am curious because my upper triple is broken and a new one cost as half the wunderlich triples.
FinStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #145
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Oddometer: 62
Following to my #133: conversion done!!
I played for a while with screws to fine tuning, and the result is GREAT!
Smooth and controlled at the same time: even dangerous off road on such a bike... toooo easy to forget its gravitational mass
Wanna let his author try the work to give him satisfaction and see if he has some corrections to carry out, but for me is already more than expected.

For who is still looking for a donor, I want to spot out another option to add on the list: could be to look for some Scrooge McDuck, owner of HP2, who changed the inner of his forks with a TTX or some... [only - that's ridiculous on such a bike] right fork is equipped with Shiver inner, therefore could be "enough" to find a couple of McDucks to have the right material for the transplant... luck can be useful to save money.
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #146
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Ok sounds like it worked for you. . Good to hear!! Not sure I understood all of the above messages, but ok!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #147
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

It works, and I feel to thank you a lot
forgot to say I've saved the original stroke: 215 mm.

talking about HP2 matter?
BMW HP2: left fork: fake; right fork: Shiver inner.
Normally undersprung for the bike: proud owners are used to change springs and replace both inners with WP kit or Ohlins TTX, after machining the fork feet
So, the owner usually put under the dust into the garage all the gear from BMW... well: right fork inner is suitable for our purpose.

Obviously, is necessary to find two of them, since there's only one good for recycling each kitted HP2.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #148
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Good info.... there are prolly a few of those around.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #149
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspare View Post

talking about HP2 matter?
BMW HP2: left fork: fake; right fork: Shiver inner.
Normally undersprung for the bike: proud owners are used to change springs and replace both inners with WP kit or Ohlins TTX, after machining the fork feet
So, the owner usually put under the dust into the garage all the gear from BMW... well: right fork inner is suitable for our purpose.

Obviously, is necessary to find two of them, since there's only one good for recycling each kitted HP2.
Does this apply to the XChallenge as well ?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 AM   #150
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

I don't really know.
Surely you are talking about the inner difference between right and left fork... in order to help you to find an answer it's necessary to add an information:
The HP2 right fork (Shiver inner) has the compression damping reg on the bottom, and rebound on top (print "R" on the cap).
The HP2 left one (fake), instead, has compression un top (print "C" on the cap) and no rebound damping reg (and function as well).

Therefore the print of [BMW] shame is "C"